Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pump Shotgun for 3 Gun

Chuck D

I personally don't get along with the supernova very well...but im not a pump guy.

As awesome and universal as the 870 is at everything else in the shotgun world, I have never- not once- seen somebody run one well in 3 gun. Lots of people who "brung what they got" shoot them but anybody who is trying to win in divisions with manual scatterguns seem to show up with a benelli. That's just how it is... Nova/supernova are king of the pumps in 3 gun.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a Nova for competition, and an 870 for home defense. The nova is MUCH faster to reload, and generally you can find it cheaper in stores than the MSRP that was listed earlier in this thread. Brought my 24inch for $400, and then threw a Nordic Extension Tube, and clamp. I think all told I spent $475 total on it.

Definitely Super Nova....you can not underestimate how much faster you can load with a 3.5" receiver and the lifter gate staying up and out of the way...the stock is adjustable and you can mod the loading and ejection port (although I had Trapr from RedNeck Tactical do mine) easily as they are polymer. I couldn't be happier.....but honestly.... it received the "best in class" seal of approval from Pat Kelly....there isn't much else to say after that.... Pat is the King of HM!

In terms of reliability... I've easily put 2000 shells through mine without a single failure. Not gonna disrespect the 870 as it's been an American favorite for decades and has been the benchmark for reliable pump shotguns, but my Supernova is every bit as reliable, loads considerably faster, is easier to mod and easier to work on. The Benelli is sinfully ugly, but it sure gets the job done. Mine is a 24" and is my go to gun for just about everything: competition, home defense, hunting and clay games. I don't even have a backup semi auto, cuz I can run most courses almost as fast with my nova. So for tac optics division I have my Versamax and my Nova is my backup.

What's the max length you'd suggest for a pump? I'm strongly considering a supernova, but it's hard to find one locally that's 24-26 inches.

Locally I can find 28 and 18.5 inches all day long, but ideally I'd prefer the 24-26 inch models

Thoughts?

I like the 24"....when you start getting longer than that...the extended mag tube hold a lot of rounds way out on the end of the gun and it starts to get a bit heavy when you are loading....in some of the tighter stages where there are obstacles... I can see where a 26 or 28 might be hard to maneuver with and transition quickly....but that is just my opinion.

I think 24" is about perfect for our game. 26" is good too. 28" would be a bit long for my taste, but that is only my opinion.

+1.

By the time you have a tube that will hold 10 +1 it doesn't matter much if it is a 24" or 26".

Awesome shooting Jesse, I get a kick out of every one your vids.

If possible could you explain the modifications you make to your nova?

Any reason you choose the nova over the supernova?

Thanks in advance.

The mods are on the link above. You can click on the "show tags" button and it should show all the features. Let me know if a specific mod requires more details.

I chose the Nova because Trapr knows more about them than I do and that's what he recommended. That and a used nova goes for about $300. I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to try a Supernova as well.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

Thanks Jesse, I found the gunzoo link on another thread and checked it out. Very cool of you to do something like that where we can all see what mods you're running on various guns.

I'm debating internally and with the lgs on whether I get a supernova or nova, I feel that my wallet might win if both are available.

Thanks for taking the time to answer, very much appreciated.

IF it fits you the Nova, only because it is cheaper.

I played with it and the Super Nova and for me it really came down to fit.

The Super Nova has adjustable (drop, cast, comb height and LOP) that makes a huge difference to me.

The other thing is…the comfortech stock really shines on a fixed breach shotgun. While I can tell the

comfortech works on the M2 it is a joy on the Super Nova!

I do the usual mods, open and smooth the loading port, polish here and there.

I have another "speed mod" that I can't share quite yet...

The Super Nova has adjustable (drop, cast, comb height and LOP) that makes a huge difference to me.

The other thing is…the comfortech stock really shines on a fixed breach shotgun. While I can tell the

Lalalalala I am not listening right now. I really want to try that comfortech damnit! Don't talk me into it.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

I am looking for a Supernova. I have 2 Novas but want to get a shorter length of pull. Only thing is the Nova shoots slugs to poa at 50 yds.

You could probably get a smithy to shorten the butt of the stock to your length, and not have to get away from "ol fathful"... I have 2 Novas and they are all customed up for me, would be a pia to start over...

jj

Lalalalala I am not listening right now. I really want to try that comfortech damnit! Don't talk me into it.

Jesse, if I did it would work against me. You just keep suffering though with the recoil and I'll glide along smooth and fast...

I am looking for a Supernova. I have 2 Novas but want to get a shorter length of pull. Only thing is the Nova shoots slugs to poa at 50 yds.

You could probably get a smithy to shorten the butt of the stock to your length, and not have to get away from "ol fathful"... I have 2 Novas and they are all customed up for me, would be a pia to start over...

jj

Thought about it. I was looking for an excuse. I want to go with a shorter barrel. I thought about having it cut down and rethreaded also.

You're not going to beat the Benelli Super Nova.

870's are the worst shotguns on the planet. I've owned 3 and each was a pos that would bind and lock up during cycling. Before you ask, yes one of them was the glorified 870P

I have had great luck with 870's having used them for 13 years and on one occiasion to save my own life when a bear charged. So I totally disagree with your statement about 870's being a POS. In fact I own two and one is a Vang Comp 14 incher I use for work and the other is a 24 inchers I use for heavy metal. I have owned over a dozen and I have been responsible for well more than that over the years at work.

Pat

Me too. I just picked up a 26" Nova with a +? Nordic tube (holds 10 in tube) for $300. I really really want that comfortech stock but it was to cheap to pass on. It's like new with a very small mark from a barrel clamp and I got the box, papers, chokes, etc. I doubt that it has 200 rounds through it. I'll probably just try to fit a Limbsaver pad to it and call it good.

Picked up a Nova today with 26" barrel. Waiting for the +6 nordic tube to come in stock at brownell's so I can order it and a couple of other things.

Is there a specific front sight or sight combo that is desirable or considerable better than the current mid-bead and red FO out front?

What about side saddles on the receiver or buttstock. In Central IA there a few and far between 3 gun matches so I think having 15 rounds on the gun would do me for most courses of fire. If the permanently attached ones are ill advised is the slip on buttstock saddle a bad idea?

How about chokes, I believe mine came with IC, F and M. What would you suggest?

Thanks guys

A LM choke will cover most bases. With the pump sliding back over the receiver, you will only get 4 shells there and I've never liked shells on the stock. If you are dead set on pluck-n-stuff, then get an arm band or bandolier. Load 2 is really easy to pick up and learn though. Sort of equalizes the shotgun reloading game. You're really selling yourself short if you don't grab some pin wheels and learn that method. Weak hand from caddies, still garners the respect, but you don't have to give away time while you learn to work from caddies. Good job on the nova grab. I know you'll enjoy it.

Edited by co-exprs

yea, decided against the saddles already on my own, glad you confirmed that it's not a good idea.

I see the 6up load 2 belt ride, think one or two of those might be the trick. I've practiced the load two method already grabbing the shells off the counter and it's pretty slick!

Thanks for your help!

Any suggestions for front sights?