Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production optics

Wilkenstein

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, great idea to contact your AD .... I don't think waiting for folks to show up with 9mm minor open guns and shoot them in open would work. You can be competitive without being viable to win your division at a match. Why go shoot a division where you know before you pull the trigger for the first time you are at a disadvantage? I also don't buy the whole " I'm just here for fun" argument either .... This is a competition and to some degree everyone is competitive. Show me someone who has never looked at their score after a match and then I'll believe it.

"You can be competitive without being viable to win your division at a match."

This makes no sense to me. Maybe it's just my perspective. But, if I am not viable threat to win, then I don't believe I am competitive.

But unless you're one of 10-15 (at most) top guys in the world, you're only a viable threat to win if no one good shows up.

I'm competitive in the sense that I can get better than I was last week, and better than I am today. If I keep that up, I'll be a viable threat to win, if enough good people don't show up.

Motosapiens...

Okay. Now I understand your point. I thought you were commenting more about the local guy at his local match. The guy whose number 1 goal is to get better but once a month the primary goal is to win.

Looks like Production Optics has a chance in IPSC

http://ipsc.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=18632&page=2

I'm not a member of that forum so can't see it, what does it say?

Eric

With IPSC changes to divisions can only be voted on at a General Assembly, held in conjunction with a World Shoot. So the earliest that this could be bought up for vote is at the 2017 WS and if approved it would take effect January 1st, 2018. There seems to be a positive view of the proposal from those that have posted to that thread.

Edited by BritinUSA

Motosapiens...

Okay. Now I understand your point. I thought you were commenting more about the local guy at his local match. The guy whose number 1 goal is to get better but once a month the primary goal is to win.

That too. I'm competitive to win my local match, but realistically only if the 2 guys that are much better than the rest of us don't show up, or have a bad day. Frankly, winning because someone else didn't show, or had gun/brain malfunctions is not as rewarding to me as shooting really well (evidenced by a higher percentage of the winner, beating guys I didn't use to beat, good classifier percentages, etc....).

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to shoot a gun with a RDS that doesn't cost an arm and a leg like an open gun and shoot in a div with people of similar setups. That's not much to ask for. Like, taking what I currently shoot and put a RDS on it.

Edited by EdwinG

I just want to shoot a gun with a RDS that doesn't cost an arm and a leg like an open gun and shoot in a div with people of similar setups. That's not much to ask for. Like, taking what I currently shoot and put a RDS on it.

I think that's reasonable. All you have to do is prove there's a market by getting 10 other people to start showing up regularly to matches with such setups. I personally don't believe that is possible because I think only a tiny handful of people care about such a division, but I'm happy to be proven wrong. (note: constantly complaining on the internet is not proving someone wrong).

I want to shoot in one low-cap division with production, ss (minor and major) and L10. So you know what I do? I shoot the division I shoot, then look at the overall results and mentally cross out the open and limited shooters. I get to shoot what I want and compete against the people I want. Of course if all I cared about was watering down the division so I could 'win', my solution might not work. lol.

<p>

From the USPSA March BOD Agenda:

AGENDA

USPSA BOD PHONE MEETING MARCH 10, 2015

• - Discussion of proposed Optic Division

Thanks for posting this! Now I can make sure my AD knows I for one, am against it.

It will happen, just a matter of when.

I'm shooting my PO gun in my local matches. We just got affiliated, so I can't have my wildcat Production Optics division,mso I'll just shoot Open minor with 10 rounds

I sincerely hope you encourage enough others to join you to actually make this idea worth talking about.

There's no way to know from the agenda whether they are discussing the same thing that we are talking about here. I find it interesting that it has come up again so soon after the unanimous rejection of just a few months ago.

This may be related to the introduction of the Glock MOS or the indication from IPSC that this division could be introduced at the next General Assembly (in 2017).

I'm shooting my PO gun in my local matches. We just got affiliated, so I can't have my wildcat Production Optics division,mso I'll just shoot Open minor with 10 rounds

23 matches with mine so far. The DeltaPoint seems to be holding up just fine.

Are you the only one in your area, or have you gotten some other folks motivated to come duke it out with you?

There's no way to know from the agenda whether they are discussing the same thing that we are talking about here. I find it interesting that it has come up again so soon after the unanimous rejection of just a few months ago.

This may be related to the introduction of the Glock MOS or the indication from IPSC that this division could be introduced at the next General Assembly (in 2017).

Not quite what was talked about on the GV the comment made was "the earliest it could happen was the next GA" And as VP stated on the Aus forum it had been pushed up the ladder but didn't receive a good response

Q. Ok, this has been bantered about for a few pages, when might this become a reality?

Response.- The earliest possibility would be 1, Jan 2018 (after successful ratification by the 2017 IPSC Assembly in France)

Edited by terrydoc

Are you the only one in your area, or have you gotten some other folks motivated to come duke it out with you?

Yes, I have had others at our match

Shot woth a guy last week at a classifier match who was shooting a C.O.R.E. with a red dot. Young (mid 20's) guy that only wants to shoot a dot.