Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 Powder Check Alternative

Bought a 650 recently, upgraded from a 550. Didn't buy the powder check system after reading comments here. Learning the new loader has caused some headaches. Checking my loads during set-up I left the powder bar return arm off; loaded somewhere over a hundred rounds before i realized it. Pulled lots apart but still have 300 practice rounds for one shot drills to shoot before I know they are gone. Read on a thread here about someone using a mirror to look down the open spot on the toolhead. Tried putting on on last night, here is what I came up with.

DSCN1036.jpg

DSCN1037.jpg

Wow. I just look directly into the case on the shell plate. The only mirror I use looks into the case feeder and bullet feeder.

I generally only load for USPSA so many times not much powder, generally 5 grains 231 in 45 case. It gets hard to see plus with my lighting situation the shell plate is a little dark. I have added a light but I felt I was always double checking. For me this seems to work better; helps me to remeber to look at the case feeding tube as well. That is one of the things I learned the hard way to check. I would like to see your mirror set-up for the case feeder. I have just gone to putting a couple of handfuls of brass in everytime I add primers. I have given thought to the bullet feeder but can't convince myself to add that cost yet.

I would like to see your mirror set-up for the case feeder.

http://www.brianenos...50#entry1645787

Headed out to the the loading bench right now to look at making a couple of the mods you have. I have put the spent primer tube in but run it to the floor, like the ways yours looks. Going to see how I can mount a mirror.

I do generally load standing up, seems to work the best for me.

I just got the Dillon Powder Check System and am completely disappointed with it. It comes with a powder check rod that's good for 9mm and one that is perfect for 45. Nothing for .40, they expect you to use the one for 9mm and list it as a ".30-.40" rod. Well, it doesn't work, it will push the powder to the side in a 40 case and hit the bottom of the case.

Aside from that though, it works well. What I did was took a 9mm case, drilled and threaded the primer hole to accept the .30 rod which I threaded. Then inserted a 9mm bullet upside down into the case and then overcrimped it in. That fits perfectly into a .40 case and is the size that Dillon should've shipped with the kit. If you're not doing 40 and don't want to hack it the way I did, then I would not recommend the Dillon powder check system.

I have them all, the Dillon Powder Check system, the Hornady Powder Cop, and the RCBS Lock Out Die. By far I prefer the RCBS Lock Out Die, it lets you know quickly when a charge is light or heavy by simply "locking" up the press. Works great on my 650.

• 7 months later...

I know this is an old thread but I'm new to my 650xl and I'm loading 40 and the powder check is always beeping on most rounds and then stops. Really more of a chirp. I saw where someone used a 9mm round. I was thinking about using a 32mag brass or 9mm.

I also have the RCBS lockout that I used on my L-N-L. It saved me more than once over the last year. But I was thinking about setting my L-N-L back up for 9mm, so I didn't want to go there yet.

Glad to know others have the same issue. By the way I'm using Clays for 40 minor loads.

Edited by blueeyephil

Didn't buy the powder check system after reading comments here.

Checking my loads during set-up I left the powder bar return arm off; loaded somewhere over a hundred rounds before i realized it. Pulled lots apart but still have 300 practice rounds for one shot drills to shoot before I know they are gone.

What comments made you decide not to buy one?

Your experience, while a bit too late to help you, is a pretty good advertisement for a powder check die.

Mine either died or ran out of battery power. It beeped all the time for me. It was like the boy that cried wolf. It beeped so many times "wrongly" that I started to ignore it.

I don't remember if it was beeping because of the different cases (with different case volumes) or what.

Didn't buy the powder check system after reading comments here.

Checking my loads during set-up I left the powder bar return arm off; loaded somewhere over a hundred rounds before i realized it. Pulled lots apart but still have 300 practice rounds for one shot drills to shoot before I know they are gone.

What comments made you decide not to buy one?

Your experience, while a bit too late to help you, is a pretty good advertisement for a powder check die.

I think it was trying to get it set-up correctly. I am loading multiple calibers on my 650 so the thought of buying multiple ones or changing it made me decide against it. I have my press on a strong mount and a tall bench, I stand to load so looking into the case on the press was not working. the mirror worked great for visually checking the powder.