Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 McCormick 8 shot mags not falling free

hermans

I recently changed the springs of my McCormick 8 shot mags with new Wolff replacements.

After just a few range sessions I noticed that the springs felt "soft" . When cleaning the mags I also noticed that they seem shorter as they used to be when new. If I compare them to my Wilson 47D's, the springs are softer.

Recently when doing mag changes with one or two rounds still left in the McCormick's, the mags are not falling free, and on close inspection it seems as if the top round moves forward, thus hanging on the feed ramp when the mag release is being depressed, causing the mags not to fall free.

My question....could the Wolff springs be the problem being too "soft" and not keeping the rounds depressed hard enough against the feed lips?

The feed lips seems to be the correct width comparing them to the Wilson's which works flawlessly.

Any advice on this rather irritating problem would be greatly appretiated.

I run CMCs and I've actually never changed the springs. Infrequently, I have one hang up but it's always operator error :goof:

Can you duplicate the problem with dummy rounds i.e. load 3-4 dummies, cycle the slide once or twice and then try dropping the mag?

If the problem is repeatable, I'd back up to the last change which was the magazine springs. Put the original springs back in and see if the problem persists.

Why did you decide to change the springs in the first place?

I run CMCs and I've actually never changed the springs. Infrequently, I have one hang up but it's always operator error :goof:

Can you duplicate the problem with dummy rounds i.e. load 3-4 dummies, cycle the slide once or twice and then try dropping the mag?

If the problem is repeatable, I'd back up to the last change which was the magazine springs. Put the original springs back in and see if the problem persists.

Why did you decide to change the springs in the first place?

I changed the springs because they were giving me the occasional feeding jam(nose dive) every now and then. This cured the feeding jams for a few months, but lately they were staring to give me the problem as described. I think I should just buy some new Wilson's to replace them, but they are rather expensive, especially since my currency in South Africa is worth almost nothing compared to the US dollar.

Polish the inside of the mags and make sure there are no rough edges on the follower. Also, bending the nose of the spring - part of spring right under the front of follower - up will increase pressure in that area and support the round better as it feeds.

Do you leave the mags loaded? I had some Kim-pro tactical mags that look just like the mccormicks. I left them loaded and the feed lips at the top started to spread apart. I used calipers to measure some unused mags and they were .025 narrower at the top of the mag than mine. This was causing the mags to not drop free even with up to 4 rounds still left in.

Do you load and unload them a lot? This seems to wear out mag springs sooner than just leaving them loaded. If you step up to the Power Mags you'll likely have less problems with the springs going soft. Sounds like you may have the Shooting Star Mags.

Yes Gary, I do have Shooting Star mags. Is there a big difference between the Power Mags and the Shooting Star? I do have 3 Wilson 47D's...they are just the best, maybe I should just get a few of them.

Sometimes the last round will drag the follower out just enough to where it will catch the inside of the magazine well. When they were new. They dont do it hardly at all anymore. Now that they have been used alot.Keep the Chip Macorick body buy the Wilson follower with there springs and problem solved. You may have to cut the spring a little. I havent done this yet. But II am goingI to doyou it.I just talked to a gun smith about it at our last match.

• 2 years later...

This thread is pretty old. Did you guys ever get to the bottom of this? I have CMC power mags with the factory springs and I started having both the problems mentioned in this thread. One scenario happens when a 1/2 empty mag won't drop free because the top round has shifted forward. Second scenario happens after last round drags follower forward and that hangs up on the frame preventing a free drop.

I don't have an answer other than to add that I gave up on the CMC mags for this reason. I fought with them for a couple seasons then finally sold them cheap to someone to use as casual range mags. As soon as mine would get the slightest bit dirty (basically dropping them once at our range) they would start to not drop, both empty and half empty.

Edited by cas

First, I would check/measure the feedlips...could very well be out of spec. CMC springs are fantastic quality and hold up a heck of a lot longer than most.

Also...

The older style CMC original Power Mag followers are designed to have the freedom to move forward slightly.

Try a Power Mag PLUS (+) follower, which is supported within the mag body and will not jump forward as it loads the last round.

I marked my mags thinking one in particular was being the problem child. The problem didn't seem to follow one particlar mag. I think the most flustrating part is it only happens every 50-100 rds. Just when you think its gone or fixed....

It's probably in another thread, but does anyone have the 1911 mag specs handy? Particularly the feed lips.

I'm 99% sure the mag itself is not hanging up on anything. What's causing the mag to not drop free is the top round shift forward. Then it hits the front of the frame preventing it from dropping free. However, I don't know to fix the top round from shifting forward. The slide must be dragging it forward when it closes.