Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazine polish

thebigdogg316

Never polished mine, but I'll hit them with a brush real quick and them wipe the with a silicone rag. Before the rag with the mag seated in the gun parallel to the ground. Pushing the mag release would eject it to where I could see the 14 rounds loaded hole. With silicone and the same test it goes to the 11-10 round holes.

What kind of mags are you talking about? With STI/SV mags it's as, or more, important to polish the inside as it is the outside of the tube. If the mags are adjusted right they will fall out of a gun well enough but polishing the inside will make the follower move more freely and smoother for better function and reliability.

i use chip mccormick mags that are stainless steel. my mags move freely but i just want them to move slickly in and out of the gun. i use a silicone rag now. i also run it through the mag too. i always hear folks of polishing their mags so i was wondering how they did it. i would not mind a mirror finish but i want them to move freely.

Use a Dremel with a longer rod, 1/8th long drill bit with a large cotton patch taped to one end and Simicrome polish is what I use on the inside and a wheel with jeweler rouge on the outside.

If there's welding slag, remove it with a file and sandpaper before polishing.

i use chip mccormick mags that are stainless steel. my mags move freely but i just want them to move slickly in and out of the gun. i use a silicone rag now. i also run it through the mag too. i always hear folks of polishing their mags so i was wondering how they did it. i would not mind a mirror finish but i want them to move freely.

I am also a single stack guy. Had a similar issue and there are several answers.

1. with 1911s running 8 round magazines you need to depress the magazine release while the gun is oriented vertically, so the magazine can meet the least resistance leaving the frame. Only then orient the gun to receive the reload.

2. Ensure that there are no abnormal wear marks currently on the outside of your magazines. This could indicate a high spot inside the frame that needs to be flattened.

3. With an empty magazine in the gun and the slide closed, push the magazine release as hard as possible. If the magazine hangs up on the magazine release, you will need to either tune the release or replace it (Dawson Precision release is a good choice).

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=8000100D-1305924144

4. If none of the above apply and your magazines feel smooth, you can polish the interior of the frame. Use a dremel, cotton wheel, and various polishing compounds, where the dremel will reach. For the rest, wet sand paper from 400 all the way to 800/1000 and regular pencils. Lay the sand paper in the frame and use the eraser to push and pull it along the hard to reach areas.

5. Switch to Tripp Research magazines, they come already polished and have tight tube tolerances.

Good luck!

I use a buffer wheel and compound for the outside and tumbler for the inside. I just got a killer deal on an sti edge and five tuned dawson mags, 40 S&W, for $899.00 plus tax at a local pawn shop. I am currently polishing the mags for my grandson as he wants to jump from his xd9 to limited. You can achieve an awesome finish with a wheel though

I don't want to hijack a thread, but does anyone have techniques for "polishing" plastic mags to assist in dropping free and reloads? If so, please shoot me an email.

Plexus for my Glock mags (and inside the receiver's well and the holster and mag pouches).