Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"All-Around" set of 3 choke tubes?

shuter

If such a thing exists, what chokes would you guys recommend for the new 3-gunner? I'm getting a set of Tru-Lock extended tubes and I'm thinking Cylinder, Improved and Light Mod...I have a 930 JM Pro, by the way.

Thoughts? Will a Modified tube come in handy or be too limiting, especially for an inexperienced shooter? On the other end, will a Cylinder tube be to hard to knock down steel with?

I have always carried 5 or 6 for my various shotguns, but usually use Light Mod. If I were restructed to three only...Skeet, Light Mod and Full.

Skeet is one tick tighter than cylinder and more useful to me. With the "tight" and "far" shots I saw that last two years, I have skipped over Mod and gone to full several times.

Thanks Mark. Guess I assumed full would be too tight...apparently not.

I have always carried 5 or 6 for my various shotguns, but usually use Light Mod. If I were restructed to three only...Skeet, Light Mod and Full.

Skeet is one tick tighter than cylinder and more useful to me. With the "tight" and "far" shots I saw that last two years, I have skipped over Mod and gone to full several times.

If such a thing exists, what chokes would you guys recommend for the new 3-gunner? I'm getting a set of Tru-Lock extended tubes and I'm thinking Cylinder, Improved and Light Mod...I have a 930 JM Pro, by the way.

Thoughts? Will a Modified tube come in handy or be too limiting, especially for an inexperienced shooter? On the other end, will a Cylinder tube be to hard to knock down steel with?

I started buying entended chokes for my JM 930 and now wish I had bought a Poly Choke II instead.

http://www.poly-choke.com/choke2.htm

I may get one and sell my seperate choke tubes over the winter.

That's an interesting option. Didn't even know they were still around, to be honest. Do many 3-gunners use the Poly Choke II?

I started buying entended chokes for my JM 930 and now wish I had bought a Poly Choke II instead.

http://www.poly-choke.com/choke2.htm

I may get one and sell my seperate choke tubes over the winter.

I've seen a few guys try them, for a match or two.

Then they remove them and go with conventional chokes??

Like I said, I don't have one but it looks like a great way to go. Plus it's cheaper and easier than buying several chokes.

Looking at the Poly Choke website it appears there's a vented AND a non-vented model.

Look at the following link, I asked about this back in Sept. but haven't acted on it since I already started a choke collection.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=135287&hl=poly%20choke#entry1789153

Edited by LikesToShoot

These are the 3 chokes I keep handy also. Light Mod about 90-95% of the time. Skeet if there are a bunch of close clays and Full for those little plates at distance.

Yup.

Looks like the consensus is that nobody really messes with Cylinder, with Light Modified a preferred all-around choice for majority of stages (even up to 90+%). Very helpful. Really appreciate your time, gentlemen.

These are the 3 chokes I keep handy also. Light Mod about 90-95% of the time. Skeet if there are a bunch of close clays and Full for those little plates at distance.

Isn't Improved Cylinder generally considered to be the tightest acceptable choke for slug usage? Are there stages where one might need slug/birdshot on the same stage?

No and Yes. I run the low recoil slugs in Modified and LM frequently. Slug diameters vary from brand to brand, but most are .69", which is basically the bore of a "Full" choke. It is more common than not that slugs and birdshot will be mixed on the few stages where slugs are required.

I shoot slugs pretty good out of my Benelli using a mod. choke. You just have to experiment. I don't like to stick to a cylinder or IC choke for some stages because sometimes you need that tighter choke on some of the longer shots on steel and if they have combined slug targets with some steel thats out there a ways then the guys shooting the open chokes usually can't knock all of the steel down.

Also I've seen several times when a full choke was prefered. Getting that spinner to turn over sometimes takes a pretty tight choke.

Isn't Improved Cylinder generally considered to be the tightest acceptable choke for slug usage? Are there stages where one might need slug/birdshot on the same stage?

Not really. I have read on line that even full choke is ok for certain slugs. I shoot slugs out of Improved modified with no ill effects.

Pat

When i used to shoot sporting clays I got pretty wrapped up in the whole "what choke do I use for this shot" mentality that so many shooters seem to have ( I shot with guys who had choke tubes made that were only .002" difference from each other....). I talked with tons of people and the best bit of advice I got was from a world ranked shooter who told me that he uses three chokes; "near, far, and way the hell out there". I ended up using skeet, Lt Mod and full with the Lt Mod getting 95% of the use.

That same combination has worked well for me 3-gun so far.....

Edited by S391

Seems like I've seen a number of Youtube stages (yeah, I'm still a Youtube commando at this point) where there is still and "pop up" clays on the same stage. I assume Light Mod is called for here, rather than skeet, despite the fact that the stage has clays?

Ya choke for the tightest shot. With the shotgun a couple less inches of spread wont Hurt you not having enough choke to get a target down will. I generally choke tight as I know how to hit with the shotgun and having that tighter pattern can allow shots to possibly be taken in a more advantageous position

It all depends on your skillset. If you have practiced it and know you can hit X target with X round with X choke, then you have a basis to draw upon. I've been squadded with some of the best shotgunners in the game and used a different choke than they used due to differences in skillset...and with good reason!

Kelley, Garcia, Cooley, Carbon and others could run a whole match with one load and one choke and it would not affect them much. OTOH, changing chokes and loads on every stage is more of a distraction than a benefit.

You have to get out to the range and practice some shots to know what you can do with your gear and then test that in the match to see if you prepared enough. Being a Youtube junkie, find the hardest and most common shots you see and set those up at your range. Contact the shooter and ask them what they shot on a particualr stage and if they would have done something different. If you are short and simple in your questions, the VAST majority of 3Gunners will answer you with good info. A pattern board at 10, 15, 20 and 25 yards is also a GOOD thing. Patterning loads has really helped me to asses my hits/misses/speed better which allows me to make better and more confidant choices at matches. My first few majors I had every flavor of birdshot I could find and like 7 chokes. I would just copy what the best shooter on my squad did, with usually poor results. My first 5 majors were RM3G with ROs, so not a lot of good selection, but then I got squadded with crazy toes Jeff one year and learned a lot!

I am also willing to bet there is a lot less choke used in the shotguns of the top ten than most would guess, probably a lot more cylinder too.

Edited by MarkCO

I carry two chokes, LM and IM, and dont really change much between stages. Depending on the match, I pick one and usually stick to that for most of the match.

Both shoot slugs just fine with no noticeable change in POI

Edited by gose

Tru-Glo makes an adjustable choke that isn't ported. I have one, but don't often use it cause I just don't like that chunk on the end of the barrel. Been using IC exclusively for several years without complaints.

I was ROing a 3gun match once and complimented an Open Class shooter on his knocking over the steel targets that most shooters were having trouble with. I asked him what choke/load he was using and he said cylinder/1 oz.! Makes me think that maybe what choke you use is less important than your shooting skill. :mellow: