Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wait time.

bk94

Building guns is mostly a part time thing they do have real jobs. Anyone of them could build a smokin open gun in a week if they didnt have a real job to pay the bills. The market isnt there for them to be full time builders. If you dont want to wait there are many good deals on here for used ones that still work fine.

Emailed Bedell and Cheely about wait time on builds and was surprised by the wait time Bedell was 12 months and Cheely was 8 months.

If you hurry up and order a gun from Matt you will still have it for most of next season!cheers.gif

Top builders like Matt put out a great product. They are well worth the wait.

Last time I checked, this is my full time job. Maybe I went out and got a 2nd job that I don't know about?

Did you quit the stunt driver job?

Order early.You have to beat the Christmas rush.

Edited by AWLAZS

Last time I checked, this is my full time job.

Well thumbs up to you if your doing that well, I take it that you are a repair shop as well as a builder, I could see that keeping you busy with this sport.

You really wanna be surprised, check SV. They're quoting 18 months and it's almost always longer.

Shay at Akai, Matt and I'm sure some others are full time builders / smiths. They aren't assembly lines. We need and practically demand 100% reliability and that doesn't come from just slapping parts together. If it did, we'd all be doing it. These guys know that .002" here .0005" there is too much or not enough and that kind of precision doesn't just happen. Not to mention getting the parts. My Akai took right at 7 months. Three months of that was waiting for a slide and two weeks+ for chrome. The actual time the gun was "in process" was only a tad over 4 months.

There are some shorter wait (build time) guys out there that build good guns... but you supply the parts.

Look around, see what you want and make some calls. I'm sure you can find exactly what you're looking for.

Don't confuse individual per unit time as total production time.

I'm sure that a compitent smith can slap together a "stock" 1911 gun in about 2-3 days given all the parts.......but it's somthing that will go bang and the BATF will consider it a functioning gun....Just say'n.

Now if you want that same gun to be "custom built" and have all the goodies that YOU want to be installed on that gun.....well, then its going to take the better part of ( depending on what components and any milling to be ordered up) the better part of one month.....just to do it.

Now many smiths I've dealt with will ( if it's a small shop) will have at best 2-3 guns on the go at once.......so as stated above get your order in now and consult with your builder to avoid falling into the backlog/waiting time.