Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

slicing the pie?

NicVerAZ

while extremely tempted to give a flip answer.....if you are truely asking.....

The idea of slicing the pie is generally a tactical application in which one does not expose yourself to a target that you have not engaged while engaging another threat. In IDPA is is utilized as "tactical priority" while using vertical cover (window, door, wall, etc). While using cover per IDPA,from the right side of a barricade you would shoot threats right to left. Using the left side of a barricade you would shoot left to right.

Peek out and see the first target, peek out somemore after engaging first target and you would see the next target, etc.

Right side= right to left engagement

left side- left to right engagement

Garry N

The descriptions and demonstration above cover the matter.

It annoys the dickens out of me, though.

I think some police academy or gunfighting school originally used the term "slice the pie."

It is commonly used to describe the order of engagement to IDPA shooters who have not read the rules to know what "Tactical Priority" means.

And don't get me started on the baby talk version of "Tactical Sequence" as "one, one, two, one, one."

Or why on the range we don't have "Vickers Count" scoring and "Limited Vickers Count" scoring like in the rule book, but instead we have "limited" and "not limited."

Should IDPA shooters be required to pass a vocabulary test?

I understand the principle but was wondering if there was nothing more complex than just that.

I was shooting from a window yesterday and was told that I still was supposed to slice the pie and engage the targets in tactical order.

Now I understand that I basically showed up in the window and engaged the targets in the proper order but target #2 was able to see my torso.

I still have a few USPSA habits engraigned, and they are hard to get rid. Going from one game to the other is probably not a bad thing, since habits can be bad.

I understand the principle but was wondering if there was nothing more complex than just that.

I was shooting from a window yesterday and was told that I still was supposed to slice the pie and engage the targets in tactical order.

Yes. In IDPA you are not allowed to just square up in the port. If you come from the left, then treat it like right cover. If you come from the right, then treat it as left cover.

Edited by M1911

Thank goodness the SOs running the IDPA stages were patient with me because I was a slow learner with tactical priority and tactical sequence and kept asking which was which...I'm not sure I would have passed the vocab test...after a few procedural penalties the differences started to sink in...YMMV.

Jim

Thank goodness the SOs running the IDPA stages were patient with me because I was a slow learner with tactical priority and tactical sequence and kept asking which was which...I'm not sure I would have passed the vocab test...after a few procedural penalties the differences started to sink in...YMMV.

Jim

This is what I appreciate with IDPA: everybody's patience and willingness to explain the rules.

Great spirit of camaraderie overall. Not that it does not exist in USPSA or any other association, but IDPA shooters just go the extra mile.

• 4 weeks later...

Great spirit of camaraderie overall. Not that it does not exist in USPSA or any other association, but IDPA shooters just go the extra mile.

You have to make up for the low round count stages and the massive ammounts of gray area in the rules some how! :roflol:

Just shot my first IDPA match yesterday. Had allot of fun, but the penalties killed my score.

The RO patiently reminded me about dropping mags, engagement order, and taking cover after every stage :roflol:

You have to make up for the low round count stages and the massive ammounts of gray area in the rules some how! :roflol:

Just shot my first IDPA match yesterday. Had allot of fun, but the penalties killed my score.

The RO patiently reminded me about dropping mags, engagement order, and taking cover after every stage :roflol:

There is not that much grey area in the rules. It's all open to interpretation.

yeah we don't have RO's either..lol

also some clubs are using the trendy term "barricade order"..1st time i heard that at a match i was in the back of the squad during the walk thru and was thinking WTF is that..Stopped at the end of the walk thru and asked the SO what "barricade order" was and he said way to many shooters got tactical priority and tactical sequence mixed up all the time,so they came up with" barricade order".. It is slowly making it's way around to other clubs even 400 miles away..

mozambiqe style.. here is another term used rather then saying 2 to the body and 1 to the head,or as some put it a failure drill.Which neither is mentioned in the current rulebook. I know what both mean,but severla new shooters have never heard it that way..

Also starting to hear the term mike or mikes being used alot now..who is mike??? B)

Not all that diffucult

Tactical Priority - denotes which target is a higher threat (priority) to engage first, either from cover or near to far

Tactical Sequence - All targets are equal threat. Denotes target engagement sequence

The first time I heard the term 'slicing the pie' it was from some Navy dudes who figured that it was a good way for a single shooter.... not in a stack in a full assault... to safely clear a room. You just peek around the cover while keeping as much of your 'tender regions' covered from the BGs that you have not yet seen.

Whether that works in the Real World where your only cover is that simple door jam and sheetrock (and against folks who may have AK 47s that will punch right through that stuff) is debatable. But, I think the basic principle is sound.

Sweep around the target area while exposing as little of yourself as possible while being able to engage any target you see. Sweep the left side of the room, then drop back and sweep the right side (for right handers... southpaws maybe in reverse)... peek into the room only when the first two steps were completed and those BGs were down.

At least, that was the thought process that was related to me.

Edited by GOF

I am just wondering if "slicing the pie" is not a ridiculous expression to use in a shooting sport which is supposed to mimic real life engagements.

"Some bad guys have my family hostage. I think I am going to slice the pie".