Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help learning C-more sight

wanttolearn

I recently purchased a 1911 pistol designed for metal plates, the pistol came with a C-more sight (Serendipity SL), standard not sideways mounting. I like the sight but i'm trying to figure out how best to use it.

I note that i seem to pick up the dot at the lower 1/3 of the field. I would have imagined that it would tend to appear centrally. I don't feel like i'm tilting the pistol but i guess i must be, can this be adjusted for?

I would imagine that one uses these sights with both eye's open, would closing one eye make a difference or would the sighting be the same regardless?

I'd sure appreciate any help as to how best to use/learn/adjust to the sight. thank you.

Mayer, when I first got mine five years ago, it would take me

three seconds to find the dot :surprise:

Once I started to dry fire (practice the draw in my house

without ammo), it took a few weeks, but then the dot became

apparent a lot faster .

If the dot is in the lower third of the eyepiece, just raise

the muzzle a little, and it should be centered.

Takes a little practice - I also index the dot on the knob

that sticks up from the sight - visual clue as to where the

dot will appear.

:cheers:

My best suggestion is to practice more. The C-more is much higher than iron sights, so you are probably tilting your head too far forward. A few days of practicing your draw and it should seem pretty natural. As far as both eyes open, you should be shooting that way with or without a dot. The difference is you can focus on the target instead of the sights.

dry fire practice and drills would be the best route to take. A forum member here suggested that I practice my draw with my eyes closed, draw...bring the gun up to a firing position and open my eyes to see where my arms/hands settled my dot and adjust from there. I still do that drill religiously.

I found its easier to find the dot if I have a target to index to. I visually focus on the target, present the gun to it and the dot appears though not as precise as I wanted to (initially). I thought it was just a fluke or "trick of the day" as I came from yrs of shooting an iron sighted S_I gun then abruptly went to a red dotted Glock w/c we all know have very different grip angles between them. But its not. In less than ayear in Open, I very very seldom lose the dot w/ this technique even in weird shooting positions. I only "lose" it if I have no target to index on. I tried it and proved it to myself and others several times. Even the new comers to the dot and Glock, I tested it w/ my Glock open w/c has a very high cmore dot because I use a Carver hunter mount. The first few times they look for the dot w/o a target they fail 100% of the time. When I suggest to look at a target of their choice and generally aim the gun on it, at leat 50% of the time they see the dot appear on the target. And w/ repetition, their confidence grow, the dot appears w/ greater frequency. So, its not just me or a peculiar ability. Try it.

Unfortunately for me, shooting Open is not just about finding the dot ;)

An important thing to practice is acquiring the dot in unusual positions. Leaning around a wall, through a doorway, seated, crouched, etc. Even if you only ever shoot steel and don't need those positions in practice, being able to consistently find the dot under less-than-ideal conditions will help you find it under ideal conditions as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Monster is so right. You need to practice in every comasutra position. I thought I had mastered it then the other day you started kneeling with gun at low ready, so buzzer goes off and I start standing up and can't find the fing dot. Nope I never practiced that start. Early on I would lose it after a reload, very fustrating so stand over the bed with a belt full of mags and practice.

I didn't see it so I'll say it: "Don't short arm the gun". If you don't keep your arms extened then you will lose the dot. This happens when you crowd a port or a barricade, so keep the arms out no short arming.

I was weak and gave up on the upright mount and got a Quinn. After a couple years I picked up a gun with an upright mount and shot it just fine, so truth is now known I gave up too easy.

Edited by CocoBolo

Dryfire and practicing your draws is the best way. I just went to a 90 degree mount as I swithch between open and irons depending on the sport(3gun and uspsa mainly) and match(ss/production only match), It was just much easier to do that with the 90 degree as it itdexed the same regardless of irons or cmore. If I shot open only there wasnt a problem with the verticle mount but switching it took a bit to adjust

After practicing quite a bit I still find the dot on the initial draw only 75% of the time. With my irons and a large FO front sight I am still quicker to get on target and fire my first shot. With the dot I seem to bobble trying to find the dot for the first shot which kills my times.

After practicing quite a bit I still find the dot on the initial draw only 75% of the time. With my irons and a large FO front sight I am still quicker to get on target and fire my first shot. With the dot I seem to bobble trying to find the dot for the first shot which kills my times.

Give the 90 degree a try. It puts that glass right there where you iron sights are and no more searching for the dot when switching between irons and cmore

An important thing to practice is acquiring the dot in unusual positions. Leaning around a wall, through a doorway, seated, crouched, etc. Even if you only ever shoot steel and don't need those positions in practice, being able to consistently find the dot under less-than-ideal conditions will help you find it under ideal conditions as well.

This bit me HARD when I got my RMRed G34 and shot it at a match after a few days practice at home. Stand and deliver it was great! Around cover IDPA style was great........that plate rack through a low port and sweat in my eyes.......not much fun. You figure out real quick what you need to work on with picking up the dot.