Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comp for 9mm minor?

dcloudy777

Hello, I'm a multigun shooter making the switch to open next year. I've got a dot and big magazine for my CZ, neither was a big or too terribly expensive change. Putting a comp on, however, is going to be pretty darn pricey. How effective is a compensator just running minor loads? I shoot 115gr factory stuff mostly, and out of the heavy SP-01, recoil is already pretty minimal. How much gain is there to be had? Thanks.

DanO

It does more than you would think. I have a CZ75 SA and my XDm open gun shoots much softer and more level with the same loads. I have never run a whole stage back to back with the 2 guns but based solely on feel its quite a bit different.

before my gun went to the smith to be rebarrelled and comped i ran some 147gr minor loads through it and then some 115gr factory stuff and could immediately feel the difference between them, and its was pretty significant. That to me solidified that even with less gas the comp helps enough to be worth it

Edited by amish_rabbi

Funny how slowing the slide down lets you shoot faster. While not on a CZ yes it does soften the blow and cut some flip. For minor try 124/5gr 5.2gr of AutoComp, or 115gr 5.6gr of AutoComp. I use an OAL from 1.145 to 1.165 with MTG CMJ's or JHP's. Your puny head space may not allow that.

i have an old hand injury and so recoil takes its toll on me rather quickly and easily. I have Mr. Bruce Gray mount a cone shaped multipart compensator on my 9mm 1911....it made a world of difference for me. Tradeoff is its a bit longer and heavier up front but for me worth every penny spent.

Effective if you use a load with a lot of gas (a lot of gunpowder).

I'm new to this compensator game (I actually shot a compensated gun for the first time today); if I have too much comp shooting minor loads, is it likely the comp will have no noticeable effect on recoil? I shot the gun with and without the comp and couldn't tell the difference. Here's what I'm shooting:

2012-10-29_13-17-33_999.jpg

It's got a three port aluminum Tanfoglio comp; I actually chose the Witness comp because they are so readily available and I could get one with three, two or one port. I was afraid the three port would be too much for the 115 grain, 1,100 FPS loads I'm shooting, does that sound right? I suspect I would want to have a three port for major loads and a two or one part for minor loads? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't mean to hijack Dan's thread, but as my setup is based on an SP01 slide, I figure this would be helpful for him too.

AluminumThreePortComp.jpg

9mm.jpg

Using a powder like HS-6 will give you the option of safely loading a lot of gun powder (like 7 grains) and still staying minor.

That's my goal in multigun which has no power factor.

I don't currently load my own ammo, but are you saying that too little gas will render a comp ineffective?

Any gas helps. More is better. Comps deflect gas, and gas deflected up produces a downward force, so for that reason any gas is good. For the best effect select a gunpowder that requires a larger charge weight for the same velocity.

I haven't tried this yet, but it sounds like a solid idea:

Someone here on another thread suggested using 95gr .380 bullet with the same powder charge you use for major as a Steel Challenge load.

In my case, that would be a 95gr bullet over 6.8gr of Autocomp.

Checking Hodgdon's website data, it lists the max load for a 95gr bullet as 6.1gr of Autocomp, and a velocity of 1306fps, (which would be about a 124 PF.)

I think going to 6.8gr should probably increase the PF to around 140, and it would provice plenty of gas to work the comp. (Like I said, I haven't tried it yet.)

Since you're only shooting minor, the rule for minimum bullet weight of 112gr does not apply, so a 95gr bullet should be fine.

I've shot a lot of minor open rounds in my day and in years past in essentially the same gun p9. One day the lock tight shot loose on my comp. For sh:tz and giggles I turned it upside down to see just how much if any benefit I was getting. It was quit surprising how much muzzle flip there was with those little rounds. Like others have said more gas is better, but If you aren't going to shoot major then why?

I've shot a lot of minor open rounds in my day and in years past in essentially the same gun p9. One day the lock tight shot loose on my comp. For sh:tz and giggles I turned it upside down to see just how much if any benefit I was getting. It was quit surprising how much muzzle flip there was with those little rounds. Like others have said more gas is better, but If you aren't going to shoot major then why?

I just want my steel master to shoot as flat as possible for three gun. We have no major minor power factor.

Pat

You can have too much gas. If the bullet is gone and the powder is still burning, gas goes out the end and contributes to muzzle flip.

I found this when shooting 40 major. I first tried Silhouette, then AutoComp, and finally arrived at Power Pistol which gave the right combination of gas pressure and volume (for MY gun, caliber and bullet choice).

YMMV

Edited by splashdown

You can have too much gas. If the bullet is gone and the powder is still burning, gas goes out the end and contributes to muzzle flip.

I found this when shooting 40 major. I first tried Silhouette, then AutoComp, and finally arrived at Power Pistol which gave the right combination of gas pressure and volume (for MY gun, caliber and bullet choice).

YMMV

I don't think you can have too much gas. Any gas that goes out the end of the barrel will work the comp. Unless your talking shooting with no comp.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

I was shooting my 9mm open gun the other day with a 9mm major load going 1400fps ave velocity, and the felt recoil was pretty noticeable. And then, experimented and tried running my friend's regular 9mm load going about 976fps, and it felt like shooting .22 cal pistol! I was even surprised that my open gun functioned with his very light load. Yeah, comps do work! :cheers: