Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AET versus Standard?

RippSpeed

Pros: Better accuracy, more positive extraction, better feeding.

Cons: Higher cost, they don't like cheap bullets (plated mostly), and they ususally take a couple of tenths more powder to get to the same velocity as non-AET (likely because the pressure is lower, or builds slower, with gain twist rifling.

My guns with AET barrels will feed empty cases (one is a SS in .40, so that's saying something)...the ramp profile helps with that.

Schuemann had a gun built with AET and non-AET chambered barrels. The barrel with the AET chamber threw cases 2-3ft farther than the standard chamber. I have two similar Open guns, one with, one without, and the gun with an AET throws the cases 2-3ft farther....that tells me it's extracting the cases better (chamber flutes help with this).

I wouldn't build a 1911/2011 without an AET barrel if at all possible. In fact, I'm having a commander built in 9x23, and the only downside is I can't get an AET barrel for it.

You should call Mike and ask him about which barrel to choose. He will help you pick the right barrel for your project. He is a good dude and won't sell you a barrel you don't need. For an Open gun I like the AET. Still like his standard 1:16 .400 SC for Limited builds as I shoot lead and plated bullets. Talk to your smith though, some like to cut chambers and feed ramps themselves. Not because there is anything wrong with the AET, but some just have been doing it a certain way for so long they are reluctant to change.

• 3 weeks later...

Cons: Higher cost, they don't like cheap bullets (plated mostly), and they ususally take a couple of tenths more powder to get to the same velocity as non-AET (likely because the pressure is lower, or builds slower, with gain twist rifling.

My guns with AET barrels will feed empty cases (one is a SS in .40, so that's saying something)...the ramp profile helps with that.

Schuemann had a gun built with AET and non-AET chambered barrels. The barrel with the AET chamber threw cases 2-3ft farther than the standard chamber. I have two similar Open guns, one with, one without, and the gun with an AET throws the cases 2-3ft farther....that tells me it's extracting the cases better (chamber flutes help with this).

I wouldn't build a 1911/2011 without an AET barrel if at all possible. In fact, I'm having a commander built in 9x23, and the only downside is I can't get an AET barrel for it.

When you say it requires more powder is it basing it on if your coming from a 1/16 twist barrel?

Gain twist usually need more powder for the same length bbl to equal the same speed. You don't have the spike in pressure as the bullet leaves the case because of the slower twist, just an easier path to travel. It is normal.

When you say it requires more powder is it basing it on if your coming from a 1/16 twist barrel?

I've seen it with several barrels, but don't recall what rate twist they had. As mentioned, gain twist simply builds pressure slower, and lower, so you don't get as much velocity for the same charge. It's not a huge difference (typically), but it's usually there.