Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited gun locked up solid

I Have managed to get my limted gun to lock up solid, about 1/3 of the way out of battery with an empty case lin the chamber. I cannot move the slide forward or back, and tapping on the case has not helped. It is a factory SV, and other than typical little issues, has run well. Any ideas as to the cause of this? The slide stop and guide rod appear free, and not binding.

Well, I am thinking it is a broker leak or sheared lower lugs. I shot about 200 rounds during the practice, I shot 3 rounds in a group, and the third round felt really weird. There were 3 rounds on the target, so I doubt if it was a squib. I checked the slide stop out, and it is in the correct position, and is free to rotate. I was hoping it was something simple, but I will call SV and see what they have to say. Thanks for the replys.

or worse yet, possible squib and bulged barrel?

A friend of mine had his 45ACP lockup from a squib :huh: When the gun was finally cleared the bullet was still being held by the brass, but stuck out far enough to jamb in the barrel. It took some effort to get the bullet out of the brass. :wacko:

By weird recoil, I meant it felt like it didn't cycle, which it didn't. I thought about the hammer binding up the gun, but I managed to cock it and it didn't feel abnormal. I put a rod down the bore, and it goes all the way to the case head, so the bore appears un obstructed. I shined a light down the side of the barrel, and I don't see any bulges either. This is driving me crazy, since there is absolutely 0 movement of the silde and barrel. They are locked up tight. I e-mailed SV, and will let you know of the outcome. Thanks for the ideas.

I looked at the gun some more tonight. I was running a shock buff, and looked at what little I could see of it. It appears intact. I also took the mainspring housing out of the gun, and all of the fire control parts move freely. I don't want to drive the slide stop out, since it would have to go through the slide to get out. I bet the slide stop lobe will fail first, but I want to minimize any damage to the major components I can. Thanks again for all of the help. SV seems to be buried right now, so it will probably be a couple fo days before I hear from them. Looking again at the gun, I can see a small gap all of the way around the barrel at the muzzle end, but it looks like the chamber is canted slightly, bringin the right side of it up into the slide. It may be just my eyes, so I will let you know what I find out for sure.

If it comes down to driving the slide stop out, use a cut off wheel on a dremel tool and carefully cut the arm off of the slide stop. If you are patient and careful you can cut it enough without harming the frame or slide. This way you only lose the slide stop and whatever you find when you get inside. It sounds like a broken link or sheared lugs, the only time I've seen a bull barrel bulge it was very obvious.

We got a gun back in the shop last week in a comparable condition. Turned out the only problem was that the gun was dry as a bone (NO oil whatsoever!)... Luckily, the galling that occured was easily fixed. A little polishing and a few drops of oil later and it was humming again.

Ross, the slide stop is free to rotate, so I think I can get it into position easily enough. However, once I get it out, do I just hammer on the slide to get it off? Reneet, the gun was pretty well lubed, and only had about 350-300 rnds. since I cleaned and lubed it. Thanks again for the info.

I had a similar problem with a stainless Limited gun. The gun completely locked up after 200 rounds. The gun was lubricated completely turned out there was significant galling the solution they found was too hard chrome it. The ultimate solution is to send it back to SV let them do what needs to be done to separate the slide.

Unless the slide happens to be in position for the slide stop to be aligned with the take down notch on the slide you'll risk damaging the slide driving it out. The slide stop wraps around the slide, that's why you have to align that little notch when you take the gun apart. I'm assuming you've flooded it with oil and tried banging on the back and front of the gun and stuff like that. I did have a gun locked up once that I was just about the cut the slide stop off and decided to hit it one more time which unstuck it. There was a piece of shok buff material that had gotten between the barrel and the barrel bed locking the slide and barrel. That was with an unramped barrel and it's not likely to be your problem.

Even after you get the slide stop out you will probably have to do some serious thumping on the slide or frame to get it loose. A dead blow hammer is handy for this. Be sure you support the gun so you don't do more damage than good.

Can you get to the brass thats still in there enough to see if you can wiggle it around? If it's loose it's probably not part of the problem.

I spoke with Brandon at SV about my gun today, and he said that the lower lug had sheared off. Apparently I am the only person who had a problem like this occur, so I am not sure what exactly happened. However, they are going to warrantee the barrel and replace it at no cost. I am very happy with the service I am receiving from SV, and can say that they stand behind their products and worl. So, now my official broken gun record stands at 1 SV high cap barrel, 2 1911 single stacks, 1 AR18, 2 m11/9s, 1 AR-15, 1 M1 Garand, 1 remington 870, and 3 glocks. All of these were major component failures, ie not little things like sights. And only the AR18 could be ammo related.