Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dear CZ, please make magazines that work...

Lee G

Lee you impress me - I tried to do this all day on my MecGear mags and couldn't - you are one strong italian!!!

It's how I compensate for being short, bald and greasy. Justin uses my sweat instead of slide glide.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 7 mags and the same gun. Can't get mine to do it. (wonder how many folks with CZs will have sore hands in the next day or two?)

Has this ever happened during a stage? We have a ton of CZ shooters here and I have never seen or heard of that happening. Bummer.

once i fix this problem with my cz you will see me shooting it a lot more. trying to compete with cody! and yes i have busted them open on tuesday night steal and durning a few weekend matchs trying to remember to go soft when seating the mag.

cz is awesome, the mags .... eh

You do need to start shooting Production more. You are embarrassing too many guys by spanking them in Limited shooting minor. LOL Well, I guess if there ever was an advantage to being old, slow and having no hand strength I guess this is it. No probs for me. I feel so much better now.

probably soft springs then. with the inertia of slamming it in the gun combined with the motion required to remove the base pad, i can see how that would happen.

my rule of thumb with the 19s if you decide to stick with them is to immediately put +10% in them. personally when they come with a gun i like selling them for $35 each and then just buying the $20 16 round mags and adding the rubber pad.

probably soft springs then. with the inertia of slamming it in the gun combined with the motion required to remove the base pad, i can see how that would happen.

my rule of thumb with the 19s if you decide to stick with them is to immediately put +10% in them. personally when they come with a gun i like selling them for $35 each and then just buying the $20 16 round mags and adding the rubber pad.

Where do you get the rubber pad?

Also, has anyone used these?

http://czcustom.com/cz75flatalbasepad.aspx

Edited by JoseyWalesX

As far as I can tell this only happens on magazines after 2011. There are a few shadows at my club and my friends and I have seen it happen from D to GM shooters. I love the shadow and have said many good things about it. However it is what it is. The magazines are crap whether you have spring problems or they fly apart on reloads. I really wish CZ would take a serious look at their magazines.

I havent had any such issues, ordered my Shadow Custom 2 months back. Good luck with your resolution.

all i know is that a 16 round mec gar for $20 and a rubber pad for $9 has never given me any problems. i only added the +10% spring after the first year of use, and that was changed only because i wanted annual maintenance. the only 19s i have are running with a bolen spring and follower on a CZC short pad for 23+1 in limited or 3 gun.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have the same problem with all of my SP01 magazines. I suspect that the spring does not hold internal plate completely against the base pad. It will happen even with 10 rounds in the mags, but not with a full 18.

The less expensive MecGar mags were an easy fix for CZ's junk.

This afternoon I was practicing with empty mags fron CZ and the bottom fell out, just like

in the video.

I have only had the SP01 for a few weeks and haven't done much in the way of mag changes.

I have been shooting USPSA for 15 years with a large variety of guns, from 1911s to various

"tupperware" and never had this happen.

I'm glad it didn't happen during a match....I have enough excuses.

I guess I should update this. Recently I have been purchasing Mecgar .40 mags for my 9mm. They are exactly the same as the 9mm mags minus the witness holes. So far we have been unable to induce the flying base plate failure. So Mecgar either fixed e problem or the .40s are just not susceptible.

Edited by Lee G

It has solved the base pad problem. Dimensionally the 9mm and .40 mags are exactly the same including the feed lips. They have been 100% reliable with no modifications what so ever. They are also easier to come by since there aren't many people buying up .40 mags for CZs.

I have 17, factory, 19rd mags. All with factory base pads, 10 with factory springs, 7 with +10%. I've never seen this type of thing, and have never had a mag issue. The +10s were installed just for annual maintenance... last year.

Strange.

Just bought a CZC SP-01 Shadow.... and a 8 new mags. So far this has happened with with 2 of them. It really caught me off guard when these things exploded while reloading. I'm an average size guy, not Gorilla reloads. Just ordered the +10 springs and rubber base pads. Hopefully, this fixes the problem. Never heard of this problem before ( I'm new to the CZ family) did a little searchy searchand Viola! I'm not alone...

• 4 weeks later...

Ehrmehrgerd! Happened to me today and my gun and my mags are only a few months old :(

P.S. Shout out to Brandon who gave me the link to this thread. AND a video.

Edited by Athena