Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2004 Area 8 Director Election

dpeters8445

I recieved a letter in the mail a couple of weeks ago from a certified public accountant. This letter contained a ballot for the election of the area 8 director. What I don't get is since there was only one name on the ballot, why is USPSA wasting the money for the election. Why doesn't the single candidate win by default without spending the money to send out ballots and have a certified public accountant count the votes? It seems silly to me.

A> the by-laws require an election

B> the current director won in a write in campaign, if there were no election, the other person would be director today. not commenting one way or the other, but without an election you can't have a write-in candidate win now can you?

C> because if the USPSA unilaterally decided not to hold an electin because only one person was running, the very people asking why hold an electin would then likely scream about rule by decree.

D> why don't you run, then there would be two (or more) names on the ballot

Jim Norman

I think Jim just posted that the only reason George is the current director is because of a previous ballot where he was a write in candidate. Similarly if you want to vote for somebody else this time around write that persons name on the sheet put an X next to it and mail it in

dpeters8445 - You can vote for whom ever you want. If you don't want to vote for the person listed on the ballot, then you can write in the name of another candidate. The listed person listed on the ballot will be the next Area Director if you 1) vote for them or 2) don't mail in your ballot. No one is forcing you to vote for or not vote for whomever you want.

dpeters8445 - You can vote for whom ever you want. If you don't want to vote for the person listed on the ballot, then you can write in the name of another candidate. The listed person listed on the ballot will be the next Area Director if you 1) vote for them or 2) don't mail in your ballot. No one is forcing you to vote for or not vote for whomever you want.

Thanks for clarifing that for me. I did not realize that you could wright in your vote. Now the whole ballot thing makes sense to me.

Thanks

Doug

I have a ballot.

It has one check box.

What does it matter if I send this ballot in with the box checked?

George is the Area Director wether I send my ballot in or not, Wright.

Wrong! The last time there was an election for A8 Director there was one name on the ballot ---- and it wasn't George Jones. George won that election as a write-in candidate, IIRC........

Some kind of gamers you guys are....gotta think outside the box!

In my oppinion we missed the boat by not talking about this here on the forum two weeks ago. I would be surprised if George receives 10% of the total voting pool from people within Area 8...thats a vote of confidence!

So here's a question - what happens if there are more blank ballots and more ballots with checks outside the box received by the accounting firm - does this mean that no one wins? I would be interested in seeing the no vote count.

So here's a question - what happens if there are more blank ballots and more ballots with checks outside the box received by the accounting firm - does this mean that no one wins?  I would be interested in seeing the no vote count.

According to my records, here are the results of the last Area 8 Elections held in 2001:

2001 - Area 8 Election Results

Ballots Sent Out ...... 1199

Ballots Returned ........ 398

Response rate ............. 33.1%

George Jones........ 212 votes (53.4%) (Note: "write in" candidate)

Fred Volosky ........ 184 votes (46.1%)

Walt Rauch ............... 1 votes (0.25%)

Howard Thompson ... 1 votes (0.25%)

Hope this helps.

Write in "Nik Habicht". :):):)

I've talked with George about the work load ---- so NO Friggin' Way! I barely have practice time now ---- I'd have to give up shooting --- or what I call shooting anyway. Kyle --- No Tuna, Mustard and PB for a week for even suggesting that!

I've talked with George about the work load ----

Sure, but ask George about the unfettered access to the VIP jet, the regular trips to exotic destinations, the executive limos, the huge support staff, the luxurious hotel suites filled wall-to-wall with sexy dancing girls, the lavish banquets, the huge salary, expense account, bonuses & other emoluments and, arguably most important of all, the undying love and appreciation of the people he represents.

What's that? Oh sorry, I missed the "Jones" part. I thought you were talking about George Soros ..... :wacko: