Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DPMS 3G1 vs. Colt CRP18 for .223

Eric_Vmax

Looking for an out of the box gun to shoot 3-Gun with. I was looking at Stag but then found the DPMS 3G1 (and Iive in Minnesota), some more research turned up the Colt CRP18 and I really like the forearm but the price is much higher, is the CRP18 worth the extra money, puts the Stag back on the table as well.

If anyone has seen shot side by side, I would be interested in your observations. Also, looking at the TAC-Ops class, so recommendations on preferred sights (primary and short range), let me know.

Thanks,

Eric

Minneapolis, MN

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW, while I was registering, you practically took this post right out of my mouth (keyboard). I am in the same boat. Right now I am leaning towards the stag 3g, I just cannot find one to buy.

I say colt... but I have absolutely zero experience with any of them. I like the colt because of the trigger it comes with, the surefire break, the adjustable gas block (for suppressed fireif you want)and because it looks really pretty. I plan on picking one up as soon as I can spare the pennies.

As far as optics I run a US Optics SN4 (but there are tons of other great scopes out there for less $) and I'm gonna spring for the JP short range off set sights soon.

Edited by MattYvip

I have a Colt pro on order. I should get it by Friday. I liked the Colt because of the Surefire brake/suppressor adaptor and the adjustable gas system along with the stainless steel barrel. The Colt has 1" or better guarantee. I couldn't find anything on the Stag 3G. I thought about only getting an upper but I liked having a spare rifle. Sorry, the DPMS wasn't on my radar.

There are a couple of top shooters using the Pro, Clint and Cody, so it can't be that bad out if the box.

Each has advantages. A lot of people on other websites talk a lot of smack about dpms, however, a dpms is in first place in the snipers hide shoot off, and has been for about 2 weeks now.

All 3 of those are good guns, i think the value goes to dpms, but the Colt and Stag would have the highest resale value. I don't really see a looser in any of the choices.

Tar

Each has advantages. A lot of people on other websites talk a lot of smack about dpms, however, a dpms is in first place in the snipers hide shoot off, and has been for about 2 weeks now.

All 3 of those are good guns, i think the value goes to dpms, but the Colt and Stag would have the highest resale value. I don't really see a looser in any of the choices.

Tar

It's almost as if DPMS is some dirty little secret that no one talks about. A very accurate barrel, JP trigger, JP free float handguard, and an effective Miculek comp.

I admit the Colt looks very cool, but the 3G1 is very loaded for the price.

Thanks Matt, I had not seen these yet.

JP Short range offset sights.

http://www.jprifles....php?item=JPSRTS

Eric, do i know you, Are you shooting our 3 gun matches in MN. We have one this Sat, Check out the link at MN3GUNGROUP.ORG. I will bring a JPSRTS and you can take a look.

Jay

Jay, I am wanting to get into 3Gun, I currently shoot IPSC. Can't make it this Saturday. Let me know what you think of the JPSRTS and what you use for your primary sights.

Thanks,

Eric

Well I don't have a DPMS 3G1, but I did use the DPMS Mk 12 barrel (which is the same they use on the 3G1) on my 3-gun build. I can tell you the barrel is a solid performer that will rival many that cost much more. It's a hammer.

GB showed a CRP-18 for 1795.00 That's almost JP-15 territory. That comes spec'ed a lot nicer than a Colt. Buy the Stag or DPMS or pop for the JP. I have a LR308 DPMS and it's a fine shooting rifle. Just my opinion

GB showed a CRP-18 for 1795.00 That's almost JP-15 territory. That comes spec'ed a lot nicer than a Colt. Buy the Stag or DPMS or pop for the JP. I have a LR308 DPMS and it's a fine shooting rifle. Just my opinion

I paid less than that.

I paid less than that.

OK Poortrader, how much did you pay for the Colt CRP18 and where? I am leaning towards that because of the adjustable gas valve.

I paid less than that.

OK Poortrader, how much did you pay for the Colt CRP18 and where? I am leaning towards that because of the adjustable gas valve.

I just got a Colt CRP-18 from Big Sky Guns. They have the best price ($1745) and have them in stock. I wanted a Stag for the cost but cannot find any in stock and didn't want to wait. The Colt is just about perfect!