Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Air Compressor Recommendation

I'd check out Harbor Freight. I've been very happy with my ~21 gallon (I'd have to double check) compressor. It's a basic single stage compressor, but it has a decent continuous flow rate and was a fraction the cost of models from other retailers. A lot of their stuff is mediocre, but this has served my needs well for a couple years.

No other use, just inflating tires?

If so, I don't think you need anything that would warrant bolting it down. I use a cheap nailgun compressor with a tiny tank when I adjust the pressure in my pickup's tires and don't have to wait for it, it's able to catch up while I'm moving between tires.

You didn't mention a price cap!lol Any of the small pancake compressors from your favorite local hardware store should do the trick. No need to bolt it down, it's not going anywhere. If you want to move up from just topping off tires, look for some of the larger upright units. The size of the tank isn't the only "spec" you're looking at. You want a higher CFM as well. I have a small pancake compressor I bought at a yard sale for $20 that stays in the back of my truck for tires and when I install base trim or crown in houses and a $800 Rol-Air that's bolted to the work trailer that runs my construction crew. They're ALL gonna need to "catch up" at one point or another, just some do so quicker.

I've used the dual tank Porter Cable compressors for years. Great quality, but 8 tires would take some run time.

A friend of mine had one of the Craftsman upright models. The 33 gallon tank one I think. He used it quite a bit and was very impressed.

If you are bolting it down for security I think I'd make it easy to unbolt. Any compressor you have will need some amount of preventative maintenance and having it stationary would make the work harder to get to.

If you want longevity and most important, quiet operation I would stay away from any oil less pancake compressors. Get one with a cast iron pump that's belt driven. Compressors are like buying a Dillon, buy once, cry once. Thing is, your needs or wants may evolve, and will if you have a higher capacity. Suddenly you can drive air tools, use a gun to remove wheels, have an air sander etc.

I use compressed air for everything, from cleaning carbs to cleaning my gun. My machine is quiet enough to run at midnight without disturbing family or neighbors, and has a large enough capacity that it doesn't cycle often unless I'm using an air ratchet constantly. That said, I have a Sears Pro, 25 gallon 6hp. 150 psi max press. Can't remember the CFM at pressure but its more than enough to run just about anything I can throw at it. Oh, and one more thing, don't skimp on your hose and accessories. Cheap hoses suck and cheap fittings leak.

Cast iron pump, belt driven, with oil. Oilless compressors are very noisy and don't last very long. An upright will save space, though a 20 gal. horizontal is fairly small. You need a drain valve in the bottom of the tank to vent water out of the tank. Get a quality name brand. With very little maintainence it will last many years.

For 110V you will be limited to a portable compressor. I don't know what you have for vehicles and what the tire sizes are you are "topping off" but the value of a "portable" compressor is greater than something mounted unless it is vehicle mounted.

I have used up several compressors in the last 15yrs. I consider them a disposable item. For fully inflating tires with less run time, tank size is a big consideration. For "topping off" CFM is a prime consideration.

The compressor that lasted me the longest was an Emglo nail gun compressor. http://www.emglo.com/products.html It is a 2 tank, made for quick recovery, oil type that was fantastic.

I got away from oil type only due to the start up problem I have in cold weather. I am currently using a Rigid LINK and not thrilled with it. I also have a Bosch pancake compressor LIKE THIS. These both work well for what I use them for which is more demanding than topping off tires. Both are loud but both are oil less. Both are also relatively inexpensive and both will top off tires. All of these are portable.

Next compressor purchase for me is going to be truck mounted 12 volt with an air tank that I can remove from the truck when needed. There are a lot of 12 volt compressors designed for off road vehicles that will do what you want and more.

The best web site I have found for compressors is THIS Articles on choosing a compressor are very helpful.

Good luck,

Gary

For longevity, the only way to go is cast iron pump and belt driven. I would not recommend the cheaper import stuff with too many corners cut.

Purchase this unit, and it will give you 20+ years of trouble free performance. I have had mine for 13 years, and only checked/changed the oil. I have worked on many of the previous pump design models installing pressure switches and components that are well over 30 years old.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/SPEEDAIRE-Portable-Air-Compressor-1NNF6?Pid=search

Buy a direct drive and or oilless unit, and you will buy several. Buy a good quality belt driven unit, and you should not have to replace it.

Randy

NO, NO, NO

No benefit to the 200psi other than the piston cylinder will wear out faster if the belt does not go first.

Do not get caught up in a numbers game. Compressor manufacturers are always looking to throw a number out there that will sell the compressor, but most times it will not help the consumer. You do not need a compressor that pumps over 125 psi for any normal operation. 2 stage compressors run up to 175 psi because of the basic design effeciency, and in industrial aplications this gives you more draw down.

Randy

NO, NO, NO

No benefit to the 200psi other than the piston cylinder will wear out faster if the belt does not go first.

Do not get caught up in a numbers game. Compressor manufacturers are always looking to throw a number out there that will sell the compressor, but most times it will not help the consumer. You do not need a compressor that pumps over 125 psi for any normal operation. 2 stage compressors run up to 175 psi because of the basic design effeciency, and in industrial aplications this gives you more draw down.

Randy

He is correct Higher pressure = lower cfm

Edited by blue edge

I agree with all of the comments about features required for longevity of a shop compressor that will be used daily or even weekly... But to keep the tires on 2 cars inflated, the cheapest Chinese compressor will probably last a lifetime. That said, buying a new toy/tool isn't always a strictly logical cost/benefit decision :D

Edited by Griz

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...