Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New rules for Limited Division in 2013?

Nemesis Lead

I know I am behind the curve, but are the rules changes that folks have been talking about for 2013 (anything goes but no optics or compensators) a done deal or are the 2013 rules changes not final yet?

I was about to order a new limited gun and was wondering if I should drill it and tap it for a *thumb rest [generic]*.

Thanks in advance.

The only thing that I've heard that was decided and then rescinded was the trigger pull requirement for Production. What have you read about Limited and Limited 10 that is making you unsure?

Here's the BoD Meeting Minutes and associated documents discussed in the minutes:

http://www.uspsa.org...es/20111202.pdf

http://www.uspsa.org...ed_Division.pdf

http://www.uspsa.org...10_Division.pdf

Edited by Skydiver

• 2 weeks later...

... I'm sure enough the rules are sticking.

Pretty good bet.

I had some members from my Area question the new Limited rules. I brought the concerns up with the rest of the BOD in informal discussion. The BOD seems pretty resolute in moving forward as advertised.

Some of the rule changes (or elimination of requirements) for Limited leaves me asking this simple question, WHY?

To ask a specific question - what was the thinking that would allow modifications such as the addition of the *thumb rest [generic]* to be legal going forward?

From talking to folks in my section (soon to be former section), the rule changes in Limited are troubling to some. And by that, the common response is that Limited is already gamey enough......now it is about to become "almost Open." So when folks ask me why did this change - I have no answer.

The only sense I can make of them allowing thumb rests in Limited is to allow the USPSA shooters to try and use the same gun feature available in IPSC "Standard" division. Remember, we have the IPSC World Shoot coming to the USA. It makes sense to allow the same features in USPSA Limited division so its more in line with the IPSC standard division. Now proving that using a thumb rest is an advantage over not using one is a whole different can of worms.

I think its a good change. If these rule changes get the creative juices flowing for gun builders and it results in innovative solutions how is not a win for all? You will always have the "have not" whiners any time anything new comes out. But that in its self shouldnt stop innovation and advancement. A better mouse trap can and will always be created.

Edited by CHA-LEE

It had more to do with creating an easily enforcible set of rules. So many of the old ones, 500 units, recoil devices etc were just vague. Do the really wide ambi safeties count as a recoil device? Do tungsten mag wells counts as weights? Do I need to have 500 complete guns, components, or similar guns to be legal? Who keeps track? It was a mess IMHO.

Some of the rule changes (or elimination of requirements) for Limited leaves me asking this simple question, WHY?

To ask a specific question - what was the thinking that would allow modifications such as the addition of the *thumb rest [generic]* to be legal going forward?

From talking to folks in my section (soon to be former section), the rule changes in Limited are troubling to some. And by that, the common response is that Limited is already gamey enough......now it is about to become "almost Open." So when folks ask me why did this change - I have no answer.

I have been lobbying slightly for this since 2003 -- when I was informed by John Amidon that a 6 inch Glock 21 wasn't legal anywhere but Open because Glock had never built one in that configuration, let alone 500....

So, other platforms may become competitive in Limited -- that's a good thing.....

So is being able to easily enforce the rules....

I for one welcome the change... I already have a 6" Sight Tracker being finished ... I'm on the fence with the thumb rest option though. I have a buddy who has one on his limited gun, I'll have to try it before purchasing one.

It had more to do with creating an easily enforcible set of rules. So many of the old ones, 500 units, recoil devices etc were just vague. Do the really wide ambi safeties count as a recoil device? Do tungsten mag wells counts as weights? Do I need to have 500 complete guns, components, or similar guns to be legal? Who keeps track? It was a mess IMHO.

This, this, a thousand times this.

The new rules are simple and logical. Thumb rests, 6" ribbed barrels, barrel weights, and longslide large-frame Glocks are not going to revolutionize Limited, just add a pinch of flavor and variety.

I haven't heard the answer spelled out this way - so this helps! Thanks.

• 4 months later...