Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommendations for "Higher" Capacity .308 mags

Fullauto_Shooter

Question for all the "Heavy " Rifle Shooters. What higher capacity mags (>20rds) do you recommend for LRP-07, AR10 type rifles? I know that nearly all major matches have rules limiting mag capacity to 20rds, but want to obtain one .308 "big-stick" in case a match happens to allow it.

Does anyone make a P-mag extension, like Nordic does for the .223 mags?

Thanks,

contact Bill Sahlberg:

Higher Capacity

Thanks for the great lead, but I'd much prefer an option that doesn't cost $150. Any less expensive higher-cap Heavy mags out there?

What about making your own? Say, two ss 20 rounders, cut the lips of one, and the bottom off the other. Get a thin band of ss to wrap around the joint and weld. Perhaps try some plug welds in the band.

Think I'd butt them up and do a tack weld, then use the wrap for strength rather than try to weld all the way around. I think welding all the way around would be more likely to leave lumps inside than using tacks and the wrap for strength. Also welding all the way around would make warping more likely.

Follower should be the same as a 20, only need a longer spring. I say "only", but I think that would be the real challenge.

It's a thought anyway. :cheers:

Tar

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

I looked high and low awhile back and ended up dropping the idea. Like you I'm not spending that kind of coin on 1 mag when I can just couple 2 20rds together.

These are out of stock so I don't know how much they are: http://www.armageddonmag.com/page3.html

For $150 I will play/ruin a couple of cheap mags trying to make my own. I asked Nordic about extensions last year and they said there wasn't any plans to make any.

It's been discussed elsewhere but I think RRA 308's will take FN metric mags? Such as:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=MDSA30&name=DSA%2c+Inc.+30rd+SA58%2fFAL+.308%2f7.62x51+Metric+magazine&groupid=510

I don't think the DPMS will, but I wonder if it could be made to fit? Hell I need some other stuff so I might get one and play with it.

I'd try the CCW PMAG coupler first. More than the sum of its parts (41 rounds). The price is reasonable ($45). If you want to monopod, just install the dust cover on the bottom then pull a .308 MagPul over the top of that - very robust. My .223 version has always run 100% which bodes well. Here is the .308 version:

1110.jpg

Edited by StealthyBlagga

I wonder if this could be modded so that it is two 20s stuck together end to end??? Ie; shoot one dry, pull, flip, insert, shoot another 20. Then it would be legal for HeMan/Heavy...hummm...

jj

And to the OP; nothing is impossible, but I doubt the rules will change to allow more than 20 in a mag for HeMan/Heavy Metal any time soon... :)

I wonder if this could be modded so that it is two 20s stuck together end to end??? Ie; shoot one dry, pull, flip, insert, shoot another 20. Then it would be legal for HeMan/Heavy...hummm...

For compliance with HM rules, IMHO it's better to cinch two mags together side by side - faster to reload and a more stable monopod platform (except at some of the more backwards-thinking matches that don't allow it :roflol: )

Edited by StealthyBlagga

For compliance with HM rules, IMHO it's better to cinch two mags together side by side - faster to reload and a more stable monopod platform (except at some of the more backwards-thinking matches that don't allow it :roflol: )

1= mono

2= bi

So ya can't "monopod" with 2 cinched mags...its BI-podding.

Sheese... :)

Back to my question... do you think the CCW coupler could be modified in that manner? And the "legal" thing I was wondering about was to stay in compliance with the 20 round rule...

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

Back to my question... do you think the CCW coupler could be modified in that manner? And the "legal" thing I was wondering about was to stay in compliance with the 20 round rule...

jj

JJ,

You may be able to insert some thin metal between the 2 mags to limit the travel of the springs and followers.

jj

JJ,

You may be able to insert some thin metal between the 2 mags to limit the travel of the springs and followers.

Kinda what I was thinking Dan. Guess I need to buy one...

Thanks!

jj

Jeff Gordon in KY was doing DPMS mags. I have 2 of them. They hold 27 but I blocked them to hold 20. They are great

for monopod use and I don't have to worry about putting too many rounds in them. $70 if I recall correctly. Been a few years.

Craig

Jeff Gordon in KY was doing DPMS mags. I have 2 of them. They hold 27 but I blocked them to hold 20. They are great

for monopod use and I don't have to worry about putting too many rounds in them. $70 if I recall correctly. Been a few years.

Craig

Do you recall a website or email? Got pictures?