Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Senior/Super Senior only match.

Bshooter

Doesn't a seniors only (or at least almost only) shooting sport already exist? With limited movement, lower round count, closer targets, special rules to protect your grampa's obsolete guns, more setup time for socializing, etc.... :devil:

(note, this is supposed to be funny, i really enjoy that other senior-heavy sport).

Doesn't a seniors only (or at least almost only) shooting sport already exist? With limited movement, lower round count, closer targets, special rules to protect your grampa's obsolete guns, more setup time for socializing, etc.... :devil:

(note, this is supposed to be funny, i really enjoy that other senior-heavy sport).

Oh You Bad Boy.....biggrin.gif

A few of those "Over The Hill Gang Shooting Sport" guys can boogy pretty damned well....bow.gif

Seniors and Super Seniors contributed $16,000 in match fees to the recent IPSC Nationals.

Juniors and Ladies contributed $11,200 - that number assumes that no Junior or Ladies match fees were paid by parents or husbands.

It also assumes that attendants,caretakers and adult children didn't pay any of the srs and super-srs fees. :devil::cheers:

Seniors and Super Seniors contributed $16,000 in match fees to the recent IPSC Nationals.

Juniors and Ladies contributed $11,200 - that number assumes that no Junior or Ladies match fees were paid by parents or husbands.

It also assumes that attendants,caretakers and adult children didn't pay any of the srs and super-srs fees. :devil::cheers:

Nope, but our sponsors (Geritol, Jone's Orthopedic Supplies, Clairol Just For Men, and Extendeze) don't have anywhere near as cool sponsor jerseys. :devil:

4 yrs till I become a Super Senior. I am doing everything my Orthopedists can do this fall to allow me to become somewhat competitive again. If you put it on a range I will shoot it. If there is an obstacle, I will figure it out, Don't dumb down a match for me, Just have the ice paks and alleve ready after the match and maybe :eatdrink:

BD#56 is coming up soon.

I still beat guys less than half my age, but, if they really get the bug and put in the practice, they will eventually end up in front of me in the standings.

If I were in this sport just to win, I would have quit after the first year, once I realized that I didn't have the time, drive and fitness level to get me shooting at a Master level. But I like it so much I'm still there every weekend at practice, and at most of the local matches. I'll be headed to Vegas for my sixth consecutive back to back Nationals in just a few weeks.

No, I don't blow people away and I don't burn down the stages, but I am having a hell of a good time. And, once in a while, I surprise myself and do better than I expect. That's fun too.

A senior plaque or senior match just wouldn't mean very much to me.

+1 for what Kevin said. I'm 66 and score pretty well but if I have to move fast or far I'm just SOL! I've already downsized my home so I don't have interest in cluttering up the windowsill as I no longer have a mantle - or a yard - or a bunch of living things that rely on me besides my wife. Specializing in KISS. :cheers:

• 2 years later...

I'm a Super Senior just getting started in competitive shooting and have not even entered a match yet. I don't want to do anything stupid, so I've been doing practice drills classes until I feel I'm ready to shoot a competition. In my last class we ran several USPSA style stages and I had a blast. I was pleased with my performance and was pumped up on my two hour drive home. I have another drills class next week and I can't wait. My first competition should be in the near future and I'm looking forward to that as well. Oh, and when I got home and told my wife I placed third, her response was "why didn't you win? LOL. Maybe some day I will but that's not important to me. Well maybe it is, but right now I'm just happy about improving my own skills.

P.S I know this is an old thread, but I'm new to this site so everything is new to me.

Edited by ming

The strange thing about being a Super Senior is your shooting speed that you mentally perceive is not the same as what shows on the timer.

I can't shoot an Area match now unless I can do it in a two day format. Kneeling is bad enough, but kneeling or going prone and getting back up is really tough.

As an example, I shot the great Indiana match last year. 19 stages and almost 400 rounds. Shot as well as I could, shot clean no misses no penalties, came in 13th in Single Stack. Gee whiz.

As the Rolling Stones sang, "what a drag it is getting old".

Still not interested in a geriatric match though.

It is a terrible idea.

I’m 65 and never shot as a Sr or plan on competing as a Super Sr. How far do we water down the matches to the point where everyone gets a prize? Do we start a Race division or Religion with first, 2nd and 3rd prizes also?

Each stage has a score, each match has a total. My feeling is we rid ourselves of the entire A, B, GM, M system and just shoot competition.

Rant mode off.

jon

I am 58, I just get out and shoot as well as I can.

If I get into sr, so be it. I do not feel that my age has anything to do with it. I overcome all the aches and pains, deal with it after the match. I do enjoy listening to the folks younger then me talk about their aches and pains during the match. Shut the hell up, put your big boy pants on and shoot the match.

I do enjoy beating the younger shooters.

Thanks,

Mike

4 yrs till I become a Super Senior. I am doing everything my Orthopedists can do this fall to allow me to become somewhat competitive again. If you put it on a range I will shoot it. If there is an obstacle, I will figure it out, Don't dumb down a match for me, Just have the ice paks and alleve ready after the match and maybe :eatdrink:

forgot to ad someone to help me back up after prone or knelling stages :)

forgot to ad someone to help me back up after prone or knelling stages :)

ain't that the truth!

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at this topic from a marketing point of view, the demographics to look at are that 10,000 people per day are turning 65 for the next 20 years. I don't know the numbers on folks turning 21 but my experience is that not that many young folks are gettting into competitive shooting. Why? Because they went to college or whatever and can't find a job where they can even buy a car much less have a relatively expensive hobby.

So, what's the future of our sport. Questionable, is my opinion.

Keeping or gettting more seniors involved will sustain the life of our sport until the economy turns.

Just my humble opinion.

PS. " I'm not as competitive as I used to be (physically) but I'm still very competitive at age 69."