Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best D-SLR for 1k or under

I asked a friend.. he said Canon T3i should be good enough (entry-mid level). Costco has em for $825 i think. Package deal with 2 lenses. Forgot what kind of lenses. I didn't bother to check coz I have no idea what those f numbers stand for.

It can depend on if you want the latest and greatest, plus ability to shoot hd video, or if you just want a body that takes great pictures.

If you want all the new tech, then a T3i or used 60D or 7D off the POTN forums. If you're looking for just pictures, you can find great deals on canon 40D and 50D's or a 5D classic if you wanna go full frame.

What type of 35mm do you have? I wonder if you could use glass on new body? Im a Canon guy. Look at photography on the net POTN. I, sure you'd find a 7d local to you. They've dropped in price. That's what I shoot with. Can't beat 8 frames per second in jpeg. Or buy a used 50d and get some nice glass

The Nikon D7000 is a great camera. The body can be had for under $1000 now. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond7000/

It has been around a while and may be replaced soon. Canon probably has something similar and also great. www.dpreview.com has great reviews and good forum also.

I thought the D7000 was relatively new, as in less than 2 years. We have one, and yes, it's very good. And if you've already got lenses for a Nikon or a Canon or whatever, you'll want to stay within that brand. (I'm not a big fan of conversion rings.) The D90 has been around a long time and has gone through many different updates, and apparently is also a solid choice.

If you go Nikon (and this may be true with the other vendors, too), DON'T get a "kit", that is, a Nikon package made up of the body AND a lens. It seems convenient and attractive, but the Nikon "kit" lenses are consumer grade and have a PLASTIC! mounting ring, and it doesn't take much for the lugs on the ring to shear off! (Happened to us!) Buy the body and a GOOD Nikkor lens separately.

Edited by wgnoyes

The Nikon D7000 is a great camera. The body can be had for under $1000 now. http://www.dpreview....ews/nikond7000/

It has been around a while and may be replaced soon. Canon probably has something similar and also great. www.dpreview.com has great reviews and good forum also.

I thought the D7000 was relatively new, as in less than 2 years. We have one, and yes, it's very good. And if you've already got lenses for a Nikon or a Canon or whatever, you'll want to stay within that brand. (I'm not a big fan of conversion rings.) The D90 has been around a long time and has gone through many different updates, and apparently is also a solid choice.

If you go Nikon (and this may be true with the other vendors, too), DON'T get a "kit", that is, a Nikon package made up of the body AND a lens. It seems convenient and attractive, but the Nikon "kit" lenses are consumer grade and have a PLASTIC! mounting ring, and it doesn't take much for the lugs on the ring to shear off! (Happened to us!) Buy the body and a GOOD Nikkor lens separately.

That is what I understand, get the camera body that will work for you and spend the money on the lenses.

• 6 months later...

So, what's the best bang for the buck? Looking for something durable, great picture quality, availability of lenses, and fast shoot speed.

You've set a near impossible bar if you must have "great picture quality". That is, of course, unless your definition of great includes a willingness to accept some photographic aberration. Typically the lower cost zoom lenses (most of us go after some range of zoom lens) produce some degree to a large degree of softness (ie not great) in their results. Nikon and Canon (Canon or Nikon) usually have the best camera bodies. The Nikon D-80 (for example) can be had used for under $400.00. The D-90 replaced the D-80 but neither result in "great" results...good to be sure though. The D-90 also shoots digital video but the results depend on your eye...Some love em, some hate em. Nikkors 28-80 lens is a very low priced, super performer (for the dollars). That lens can be found for under $100.00. Don't trust my opinion though. Google the equip for reviews. Fast shooting speed comes at a price. Typically that price puts you at or over the $1000.00 mark. Great quality usually comes at a price (near or over $1000.00) . Consider what you want again from this perspective...I want a versatile setup for closeup and far away (zoom lens)...or...I want a fixed lens (say 85mm) and I'll move toward or away from my subject to fill the frame to my liking.

All that said, I shoot a Nikon D-80 with their 24-120 3.5 lens. It's a setup that set me back about $750.00 but it's results please me and, after all, that's what matters in the end......That you are pleased.

Edited by Tom C

If you are interested in Canon, go directly to the Canon Store.

http://shop.usa.cano..._10051_-1_29252

There, they have refurbs. Refurbished cameras and lenses. Typically, they are store demos and the like, returned to Canon, inspected, rebuilt, and like-new. 90 day warranty.

I just got a T4i for my wife. 18mP, one of the Rebel line, listed new w/ lens it is $1149. Since we have lenses, I passed on a body+lens pacage, and picked up the body only for $544.

A 7D body is $1019, the 60D w/18-135 lens is $815, and they would do most anything you'd need, including video.

Edited by Patrick Sweeney

• 4 months later...

Another pleased Nikon D7000 user. And with the new D7100 the price has gone down on the D7000 body. I bought body only as I had a few lenses from my D3100 and then as time allowed I bought nicer Nikkor lenses for the new body. I love my 50mm 1.3 lens!

• 1 month later...

Another pleased Nikon D7000 user. And with the new D7100 the price has gone down on the D7000 body. I bought body only as I had a few lenses from my D3100 and then as time allowed I bought nicer Nikkor lenses for the new body. I love my 50mm 1.3 lens!

Yes, we like our D7000 as well and it does everything and more that we want. Like having a racegun that shoots way better than I; pushing it to its limits just isn't going to happen. a 1.3 50mm? Wow, that's fast!

• 2 weeks later...

For that budget and with the rebates to be had right now, definitely go with the Nikon D7000. You can grab it new for just under 1K at bhphoto. I can go into specifics, but save your time and take my word for it. This coming from a guy who has tried one too many DSLRs and read one too many reviews.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a Cannon T3i in August just in time for my daughter high school softball season to start. Its great and it takes video, which helps me from having to use two different cameras at ball games. I have taken over 1000 pics and probly about 250 videos. I got the 55-250 lens with it and the regular lens in the kit. But I got mine through Dell so I paid a few bucks extra. I also got the add on grip/battery pack and an extra battery now also.

18 megapixels is probly good enough nowadays but I haven't noticed anything looking at pictures on the computer. Havent had a chance to print a lot yet and nothing bigger then 4x6's. We are going to enlarge some pictures and make some of those wall cling/fathead pictures that are like life size to put on her walls.

My daughter has been using it on Friday nights at the football games taking pictures for the high school yearbook.

• 4 weeks later...

KEH in Atlanta has some great deals on used cameras. I use them to trade my cameras in for a newer model when there have been some major improvements. I started with a Canon 10D, then a 20D then a 40D and now have had my 7D for about 3 years. It takes amazing video. I bought an external mic(Rhodes) and the results are amazing. It is a large frame camera but I have big hands. The T series cameras are smaller but are great cameras. Just check the feature set so that it will do all that you want. As to Megapixel ratings, all of these cameras go beyond what we can see. High megapixels offer the professional and artist photographer many advantages that the rest of us will never use. If you consider a used camera I suggest you call KEH directly and speak to one of their reps. I have always found them to be honest and knowledgeable. THey care about their customers.

Good Luck!

• 7 months later...

I use a nikon d 300s. Sure it's an older model. But it has all the bells and whistles. New it sold for around 1700. I got mine new for 700. It's better than new model cameras in this price range

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I know you said interchangeable lenses, but if you want a small one check out the Sony rx100. The sensor is 13.2mm by 8.58mm. Zeiss 1.8f lense. Shutter speed up to 1/2000. You will have $ leftover. Sony also makes a small interchangible camera as well, and they have been really playing one up to nikon and canon for the small market.