Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First DQ - manually decocking the hammer

cpa5oh

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is half a pound enough of an advantage to make it mandatory to be all the way down with the hammer?

The rule has to work for all guns. If half a pound isn't enough of an advantage, then where do we draw the line? More importantly, do we want ROs having to memorize lists of guns that may or not be at half-cock? Are the guns designed to be carried that way?

A blanket rule is the only one that will realistically get reinforced. Any of you who are uncomfortable decocking a gun at Make Ready have other choices you could make....

I would use my weak hand thumb to lower the hammer. The spurs are on the top of the hammer for a reason...there are no spurs on the side...re: the pinch method. If the sides of the hammer has oil on it..it could slip if you do not pinch it hard enough. Never be in a rush to lower it.

I learned to manually decock buy placing the weak hand thumb between the hammer and slide. Jamb the thumb in so there is no gap between the hammer and slide and the hammer will not slap your weak hand thumb. Pinching the hammer with the weak hand seems a no go because fingers can slip and a spring could torque the pistol in your shooting hand.

I'm going to do the Matt Mink method this Thursday and on the weekend (practice Thursday, match Sunday)...in doing it around the house, it seems like it's smoothest for me because of the spurs on the hammer. I did it about 500 times tonight without even coming close to losing control of the hammer. Whether I can do that at the line given I just had an AD or not is to be seen. I will keep a weak hand finger in there as long as possible as extra insurance. The way I was doing it before I didn't really have a chance with the heavier hammer spring...it wasn't a carelessness issue, it was a technique that couldn't work with anything but the lightest hammer spring, and I just found that out on stage 1 of Sunday's match.

Thank you for all of the replies/help.

Edited by cpa5oh

Shooting an SP01 for the past 5 years. Never DQed for a AD when lowering the hammer. Here is the procedure I use EVERY time I lower the hammer.

1. Point pistol down range with upper arm along rib cage and elbow bend 90 degs. Trigger finger along the side of the frame AND COMPLETELY OUTSIDE THE TRIGGER GUARD.

2. Grip the hammer with my weak hand thumb and first finger. Reach over the rear of the slide with the hand coming down from above. Thumb on left side of the hammer and 1st finger on the right. ( My hand is not in the way of the slide if the pistol does discharge. The will most likely hit both thumb and finger pushing them aside.)

3. Grip the hammer FIRMLY!

4. Take a deep breath; let it out slowly.

5. IMPORTANT! INCREASE the pressure on the hammer with the left hand--now gripping the hammer VERY FIRMLY.

6. Move trigger finger to trigger and slowly pull the trigger.

7. Gently lower the hammer all the way down.

This works for me. I have seen numerous other methods for lowering the hammer. The one I feel is the lease safe is using the strong hand thumb on the hammer spur, pulling the trigger, and using the thumb to control the hammer as it is lowered. This is my opinion and I realize other people may disagree.

Tried to say you are welcome last night. But, my internet connection died and didn't come back until sometime today.

Glad it works for you. You are welcome.

Gene I followed your method tonight at practice and I'm pretty confident in it. Thank you very much for posting that.

Is half a pound enough of an advantage to make it mandatory to be all the way down with the hammer?

The rule has to work for all guns. If half a pound isn't enough of an advantage, then where do we draw the line? More importantly, do we want ROs having to memorize lists of guns that may or not be at half-cock? Are the guns designed to be carried that way?

A blanket rule is the only one that will realistically get reinforced. Any of you who are uncomfortable decocking a gun at Make Ready have other choices you could make....

While I understand what you're saying how can you call the class "Production" and say that how the manufacturer of the gun designed the gun to be carrier isn't acceptable? CZ designed the decocker on my 75BD so that I could decock the gun safely and carry it that way.

While I understand what you're saying how can you call the class "Production" and say that how the manufacturer of the gun designed the gun to be carrier isn't acceptable? CZ designed the decocker on my 75BD so that I could decock the gun safely and carry it that way.

I believe Nik was addressing those who do not like having to fully manually decock guns that are not equipped with a decocker. That is the blanket portion of the rule. If the gun has a decocker, you must use it. If your gun doesn't have a decocker, you must fully decock manually.

i watched that video, and somehow i ended up

... lol

That guy rocks

The problem I have with rolling your thumb is if you have a CZ with CZC rear sights you don't have as much room in there to roll your hammer and you'll be dropping your hammer that last little bit.

I believe Nik was addressing those who do not like having to fully manually decock guns that are not equipped with a decocker. That is the blanket portion of the rule. If the gun has a decocker, you must use it. If your gun doesn't have a decocker, you must fully decock manually.

Jonathan's got it -- the rule says "fully decocked" for guns without a decocking lever; and wherever the decocker leaves the hammer for guns with a decocker...

I have been practicing the rolling thumb, it works great for me, must be my skinny fingers. Years ago i got dq'd using the pinch method, when i got too lax and the hammer slipped , resulting in a a-d. After that i always took more time and pinched tightly. For me, the rolling thumb is the shizz

The problem I have with rolling your thumb is if you have a CZ with CZC rear sights you don't have as much room in there to roll your hammer and you'll be dropping your hammer that last little bit.

I noticed it was harder for me to use this method with the CZC Competition Hammer that has the top serrated and the rear cut at a ~45 degree angle: Hammer Example 1. My other Shadow has the (I think newer) style where the top is somewhat concave and serrated and the back comes to a swoop: Hammer Example 2. I like the second style hammer MUCH better and find it to be easier to lower. It protrudes farther and has a better contour IMO which allows me to have plenty of clearance using this method with a CZC Tactical Rear Sight.

Jonathan's got it -- the rule says "fully decocked" for guns without a decocking lever; and wherever the decocker leaves the hammer for guns with a decocker...

Really? Because I was telling a guy at my local club about how I was thinking about shooting my CZ-75BD in production for some matches and he was adamant that I would have to manually drop the hammer and fire it from DA and that the half-cock position the decocker leaves it in is not sufficient.

Edited by JesseM

Really? Because I was telling a guy at my local club about how I was thinking about shooting my CZ-75BD in production for some matches and he was adamant that I would have to manually drop the hammer and fire it from DA and that the half-cock position the decocker leaves it in is not sufficient.

Can somebody link to the other thread? I agree with your friend but that isn't how the rule is wrote as Nik pointed out to me.

See post #23 in this thread. I linked to the NROI ruling that clearly states otherwise.