Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Order

Dead Buff

I've been to a few big matches where the RO at a particular stage basically said, "screw this, I'm mixing the order up", despite the fact that we handed the RO the score sheets in order and the RO usually they wouldn't call out the order until mid-way through the "look over the stage phase."

I will apologize for my apparently, mis-led brother RO, as that should NEVER happen. :angry:

Following are my preferences in order....

1) Squad shows up. Everyone labels their scoresheets, and they hand them to me stacked in order. :D:D

2) Squad shows up. Everyone labels their scoresheets, and they hand them to me out of order, but with their order written down for me. :D

3) Squad shows up. Everyone labels their scoresheets, and they hand them to me and say 'mix 'em and pull one'. :mellow:

4) Squad shows up. No one turns in their scoresheets, and everyone starts playing on the stage. :(

I like Arnie's idea as well, but it is one extra thing to carry to and from matches. Also, if it is not consistently done throughout the match, people do not know to look for the whiteboard. :huh:

I prefer the old method that Arnie taught me..... lay out the scoresheets so they are slightly offset and the competitors can see all the labels. Then, lay a piece of target stand or something else suitable to keep them anchored to the table in the wind. That way, anyone can walk up at any time and see how far down they are in the rotation. ;)

Also, remember that this, like everything else, this is a two-way street. I had someone at a recent match tell me NOT to call out the on deck or in the hole shooter, etc., as 'the squad knew their order, and it was just distracting'. :huh: Sooooo, sometimes we are damned if we do, and damned if we don't..... ;)

BDH - Its cool. Just something I've observed. You get some bad ROs every once in a while. Fortuantely, they usually don't RO for very long. From my experience, when the squad hands the RO the score sheets w/ everything already done (stickered/labeled/facing the right direction), they're usually pretty happy about it.

Since I'm going to be RO'ing at the Nationals (first time), is there a set way how the order is done, or is it up to each individual squad?

From my experience, when the squad hands the RO the score sheets w/ everything already done (stickered/labeled/facing the right direction), they're usually pretty happy about it.

:D:D:D

Since I'm going to be RO'ing at the Nationals (first time), is there a set way how the order is done, or is it up to each individual squad?

Well, first let me welcome you to the Nationals staff!! Get ready to work your ass off, but hopefully have a blast!! ;)

To answer your question, you will see a little bit of everything (ie. #1, #2, and #3 from my last post). However, with Nationals being 24 stages this year, I kind of think most squads will set an order and follow it through the match. For those that do not, I think I will just take the order off the squad list and be done with it. B)

Jim basically outlined the local procedure we use. We also cut the match director some slack --- sometimes he's got to trundle off and deal with a question or problem, so we just move him down the order.....

Big matches I really like the set an order and move the guy who shot first down to last for the next one....

Also, remember that this, like everything else, this is a two-way street. I had someone at a recent match tell me NOT to call out the on deck or in the hole shooter, etc., as 'the squad knew their order, and it was just distracting'. :huh: Sooooo, sometimes we are damned if we do, and damned if we don't..... ;)

Didn't someone say everybody needs a Azz kicking once in a while.

Now that is wrong. Call the names out. I think a hybrid 38Super is distracting. Calling names distracting. Gimmie a break. What else does that guy want. Mr RO could you stop breathing so loud, I'm concentrating.

Right on!! Uncle Bill, that sounds a little stuffy to me. The matches here in the NorthWest that I attend is done by a shuffle and a pull by one of the shooter to see who goes first. We call it "Pick a friend" :o and were off and running.

When working a match I want every squad to have a squad mom who takes care of the shooting order and hands me the stickered score sheets in the squads preferred shooting order and makes sure the shooters know who's up next.

Those poor inexperienced squads who failed to bring their squad mom get the method I learned from Denise and Arnie at the FGN last year. Turn the sheets over, have someone pick one from the pile to be first, then the rest go in order on the board as Arnie explained above.

[shooter mode when I also RO]

I like to watch everyone else then shoot last.

[/shooter when I also RO]

[shooter mode at other than local match where I am not RO]

I like to watch everyone else then shoot last.

[/shooter mode at other than local match where I am not RO]

I still have a lot to learn........ ;)

Shooting order is nice, however it usually requires someone to take initiative and keep everything in order, which hardly ever happens. For the most part the order gets mixed up and works out fine. I only complain if i have to go first a whole bunch or DFL alot.

I think a hybrid 38Super is distracting. Calling names distracting. Gimmie a break. What else does that guy want. Mr RO could you stop breathing so loud, I'm concentrating.

Well actually, if there are any photographers present, could they please refrain from firing their cameras until the hammer has contacted the firing pin, a la golf, where photographers shouldn't be shooting until the club has hit the ball....

I really don't particularly care where I am in the shooting order. Just let me shoot. We are usually busy pasting and picking up brass and scoring (local matches) anyway.

Although the shooting is what I come for, the fellowship is greatly enjoyed.

FWIW

dj

BDH,

I do not understand this about one more thing to carry to the range. Along with adult beverages, ;) Arnie & I have two small bags to be taken to the range at any match we are working. The first bag only goes once as it is full of odds and ends for decorating the stage. The second bag, which we even took to Italy, is full of all kinds of things needed for ROing a match. It includes: radios, clipboards, dry erase board, staples, duct tape, sunscreen, lip balm, popper wrenchs, mag length tool, ears, snacks, pens, neck bands for cooling off, kleenex, overlays, business cards, rod & hammer for squibs, pastors and whatever else might be need. Even though it sounds like alot it fits into a very small bag.

As far as a shooting order, I love it when squads show up with an order. It makes my job that much easier. :wub: I also would never reshuffle a set order. I would suggest the next time an RO did that to a squad that they would ask for the RM. I sure that will take care of that. :(

I guess those of you wanting the shooting order shouted out after each shooter will not enjoy my stage as I will be using my board. I can only say sorry in advance. I believe I have the right to RO my stage as I see fit. If it is different from the norm, so be it, who really wants to be the same as everybody else. B)

Aikidale,

It seems we both have learned from each other. I will be bringing a pop-up! :D

Aikidale,

It seems we both have learned from each other.  I will be bringing a pop-up!  :D

And the folding chairs... B)

Actually, Dale, since I will be driving the truck to Nats this year instead of the Corvette, Denise and I will be bringing two pop-ups, two Adirondack chairs and the grill. :D:D

Arnie

As long as I don't have to shoot first on every single stage, I don't care too much. I'm still fairly new, and on some stages it's nice to see someone else shoot it first. My last match where I encountered a Texas Star for the first time, it was really nice to see someone else shoot it first. I do hate shooting last, but it's hardly a tragedy as someone has to do it.

At local matches we normally just grab the first shooter's sheet from the mixed stack, then go in random order from there. We always call out the next, on-deck, and in-the-hole shooters. Not calling out at least the next and on-deck shooters will get the scorekeeper replaced in short order. We tend to rotate ROs & scorekeepers(usually non-ROs) based on their shooting order at local matches, and that usually happens when they're "in-the-hole".