Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 5.25 major?

love2shoot

Question for the few of you running 9 major with the XDM, how is the gun holding up and what are you shooting? I'm pondering converting my 5.25 to an open gun, but not sure if it will hold up to major or if I'm better off sucking it up and shooting minor? Another question, if I add a comp will the 5.25 be too long, or would it still fit to be legal length?

In this same vein, but slightly off topic: I do not see anyone making replacement or different caliber barrels for these guns yet. If Love2Shoot had his 5.25 originally in say, .40 caliber, then I could see running 9 major with an aftermarket replacement barrel because it would be thicker than the standard 9mm barrel and thus less prone to failure. I have no doubt that the standard barrel is fairly stout, but wouldn't it need to be slightly modified with a deeper throat anyway to allow for a bit more length for the cartridge? And would the standard magazines accept the length that would seem necessary for 9mm major to be loaded to full potnetial? And what about feeding reliability with the somewhat longer length of the 9mm major? I think that is why 9mm major is mostly seen on the 1911 platform. But hey... what do I know.

Perhaps this could be attempted with the .45 version of the gun as it has a longer feed cycle to begin with, but again, the aftermarket barrel problem persists.

Edited by Justsomeguy

• 2 weeks later...

While it is true that no aftermarket barrels (yet) exist for the 5.25, at least that I know of, there is an option. Per an e-mail from Bar-Sto a few months back, they were perfectly willing to make me a 9mm conversion barrel for my XDm 5.25. I am currently running a Stormlake 9mm conversion barrel in my 4.5 XDm with 100% reliablity with factory 9mm mags and a 16 pound recoil spring. I did not want a 9mm barrel to make Major or to run in Open, just to have an ammo option in Production without spending the bucks to buy another 5.25 and trigger job. Would be interesting though. 9mm major in Limited might be fun.

While it is true that no aftermarket barrels (yet) exist for the 5.25, at least that I know of, there is an option. Per an e-mail from Bar-Sto a few months back, they were perfectly willing to make me a 9mm conversion barrel for my XDm 5.25. I am currently running a Stormlake 9mm conversion barrel in my 4.5 XDm with 100% reliablity with factory 9mm mags and a 16 pound recoil spring. I did not want a 9mm barrel to make Major or to run in Open, just to have an ammo option in Production without spending the bucks to buy another 5.25 and trigger job. Would be interesting though. 9mm major in Limited might be fun.

It sounds like you are talking about taking a 40 cal pistol, converting it to 9mm with a conversion barrel, then using it in Production Division. To my understanding that is not legal under the current USPSA regulations. Otherwise it would be a great idea.

Eric

• 2 years later...

When I was looking into an Open XDM (still want one, checkbook says otherwise) the fine folks at Springer Precision informed me its more than possible to set up a 5.25 for 9mm Major Open. That said Scott told me that the 4.5 make better open guns as you can reduce the reciprocating mass more making for a faster gun.

I'm sure if you talked to Scott at Springer, or Rich at Canyon Creek they can get you set up. Both are excellent smiths and build great guns - my Limited was put together by Rich

Well I already have all the fire control items from PRP and very pleased with the 5.25 9mm. Was using it in Limited but the point disadvantage was hurting my score. Got a 40 for limited now so I either make the 9mm for open major or sell it and start with another platform.

Edited by MrRick

• 2 months later...

Ok - I know the rules for IPSC - but why not (apropos to this conversation) ... w/ all the dearth of components not long past ... allow 9 Major?

I don't need to enumerate all the pros, you all know them already.

So Phil, why not???

Ok - I know the rules for IPSC - but why not (apropos to this conversation) ... w/ all the dearth of components not long past ... allow 9 Major?

So Phil, why not???

You mean president Phil?

I'm also guessing that your question as to why not allow 9 major is in regards to limited division? Its already allowed in open

So Phil, why not???

You mean president Phil?

*** certainly do

I'm also guessing that your question as to why not allow 9 major is in regards to limited division?

*** exactly so . . . I can't see a single reason not to - other than someone might have some major holdings in .40 ammo!

Its already allowed in open

*** yes - & that bolsters the point: why NOT in Limited???

Makes no sense to me...tho to be truthful not much does these daze!!!

First why would you want to shoot 9 major with out a comp? Maybe you should work up a load and see how you like it.

Why not?

I shoot .45 now & my friends think I'm nuts BUT the .45's pulse is so much "softer" than the .40 - & the .40 is a pain to load - & I simply hate .40's!

A 147 9mm needs to be going about 1,125 for major. Just about the speed of sound. Think that'll shoot softer than a 1.80 .40 doing about 920? ... or .45 200 at about 825 or 230 doing about 720?

So forget all that - how much cheaper is it to shoot 9mm than .40 or .45?

Doesn't "White Box" shoot about 1100?

...& then, after all is said & done: why not?

So Phil, why not???

You mean president Phil?

*** certainly do

I'm also guessing that your question as to why not allow 9 major is in regards to limited division?

*** exactly so . . . I can't see a single reason not to - other than someone might have some major holdings in .40 ammo!

Its already allowed in open

*** yes - & that bolsters the point: why NOT in Limited???

Makes no sense to me...tho to be truthful not much does these daze!!!

This is probably the last forum you'll find Phil in.

Next, requiring 40 in limited limits your capacity. Shooting 9 major would completely change the division and the guns. Everyone would be shooting 9 major just so they can hold more rounds. I can understand 357 sig, ala Australia (or is it New Zealand?), but I don't think we need nine major. That being said, if it's made legal I'll covert...

First why would you want to shoot 9 major with out a comp? Maybe you should work up a load and see how you like it.

That was going to be my follow up to whatever his response was. Edited by racingjoe27

"racingjoe27" wrote:

"This is probably the last forum you'll find Phil in.

Next, requiring 40 in limited limits your capacity. Shooting 9 major would completely change the division and the guns. Everyone would be shooting 9 major just so they can hold more rounds. I can understand 357 sig, ala Australia (or is it New Zealand?), but I don't think we need nine major. That being said, if it's made legal I'll covert..."

"...his response..."

- you're probably right about Phil

- I must admit that is the very first answer to my question that makes any sense ... & you are exactly right! The round count -which I never took into consideration- "would completely change the division"!

Thank you, seriously, as I've been whining about the prospect for awhile & no one has been able to come up w/ an answer to shut me up.

I'll shut up now . . .

I was never trying to "shut anyone up," I enjoy these types of topics (production optics is another). I'm just trying to have a healthy discussion about it.

The round count is just one point. How many 40 can you fit in a 140mm mag? 23? How many 9 can you fit in a 140mm mag? 24? So the difference is only one round +/- depending on platform.

Its kind of like single stack. It becomes a game, shoot/score major and hold fewer rounds or shoot/score minor and hold more rounds. They should be all A's anyway, right?

I figured round count was the reason you wanted 9 major in limited. That is the reason no one shoots 40 in open.

That white box going 1100 you mentioned is only a 115 grain bullet, that just makes minor. They need to be going more like 1500 fps to make major. And as you mentioned your 45 feels softer than a 40. The 40 will probably feel softer than a 9. I think 9 major without a comp would be hard on the hands, and the gun. I doubt I would want to shoot that.

Do a test, work up a load and see how it does. Then at your next club match shoot open with your limited rig and 9 major. See how you finish overall compared to the limited guys shooting 40. Let us know how it goes. I bet you won't like it.

"racingjoe27"

- the "shut up" thing was just fooling around. I know that was not your intent.

- my 140 mags hold about 20 .40's.

- I shoot SS too, as I think it is the "purest" form of shooting - but what a disadvantage ... oh I know you're only shooting against other SS but some of the unloaded starts & complicated arrays make those 8-9 rds tough...hurts my old head!

"Racinready300ex"

- round count was a secondary consideration, the component cost & merely the "why not" of it all was first.

- you're right about the White Box. I didn't take that into consideration.

- I was at a 3 gun match & my 9 reloads were too long (asleep at the wheel) so I borrowed some from one of my shooting buddies that was 9 major for his Open gun. To be honest, it was "easy do".

- as for my "finish" . . . I suck anywayzzz . . . & you're right - I don't like it! HA!!!

Edited by stinsonbeach