Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flirting with Minor

BDH

Last year I flirted with going minor at the Buckeye Blast, A3 and A5 (minor on the first 3 rounds, but squeaked by on the second 3 at all three matches). :ph34r: I was usually in the 166 - 167 PF range which was just a little too close for comfort. I tapped up the powder measure just a little, but then went 164.8 at Area 3. :(

Anyway, finally got bit on this one, and it is so stupid and no ones fault but my own. One thing for sure, it will never happen again.

Dumb ass.... :angry:

Why do you flirt? Not a flame, just a need to understand.

I shoot production, use a PF of 139-143, and notice no physical change in how it feels above 135 other than my Glock runs better hotter.

Why the need/desire to get so close to the floor?

I had chronoed this same load in the past at just about 170, which is where I like to be with my .45 loads. We were the very first squad to chrono on Friday, and it seemed like the chrono was low for all the people in our squad. Dunno, but I will make my loads a little hotter in the future.

Vluc, wasn't supposed to be that low, and I certainly don't want to cut it that close (as I need every single point). I will have to check, but I think this same batch of ammo chrono'd around 171 at the Buckeye Blast. :huh:

We were the very first squad to chrono on Friday, and it seemed like the chrono was low for all the people in our squad.

We were chrono'd first thing Thursday, and it was close for nearly everyone in the squad. One guy shooting Production with factory Winchester, went sub-minor on the first 3, but made it on the second group. Two of us shooting Limited Major, fell short and got bumped to minor.

There were only two good things to come out of this..... first, I finally learned not to be so stupid and cut it too close. Second, I got to hear some really good digs from my squadmates through the whole match. Great stuff like:

BDH: 'Hey, did anyone pick up a mag? I'm short one.'

Helpful Squadmate: 'Yep, and I'm sure it is yours as it feels a little lite!!' :lol:

And of course, there were precious little lines like that through every single stage.... :wacko:

My production load chronoed between 133-135 at every major I attended last year. At this years Summer Blast, it came in at 129 and left me wondering a bit. A week later at the Buckeye it chronoed at 127.2. I bumped the powder charge .2 as soon as I got back --- and happily chronoed 134 at A8. IMHO you should be chronoing 8-10 PF points above the floor over your own chrono, just to be on the safe side for all of those variables encountered because Shred's not in charge of Chrono procedures..... B)B)

Last year I flirted with going minor at the Buckeye Blast, A3 and A5 (minor on the first 3 rounds, but squeaked by on the second 3 at all three matches). :ph34r: I was usually in the 166 - 167 PF range which was just a little too close for comfort. I tapped up the powder measure just a little, but then went 164.8 at Area 3. :(

Anyway, finally got bit on this one, and it is so stupid and no ones fault but my own. One thing for sure, it will never happen again.

Dumb ass.... :angry:

Hey Brian,

Thanks for providing your squadmates with most fun and exciting chrono stage ever! :rolleyes:

It was great when you got to make that decision on the last round and the whole squad was chanting "shoot it, shoot it, shoot it"!

And, as you mentioned, you gave us great fodder for being mean and nasty to you the rest of the day.

Arnie

i chrono'd at Area 4 using the same ammo, the pf was 169. i chrono'd at Area 3 the only difference was i use new brass, the pf was 173. this also was the same chrono team at each match.

I chrono'd at Space City this year with a 168 and brought the exact same ammo to Area 4 where I got a 162. :angry:

Different chronographs and temperatures and humidity levels, but WTF?

-Chet

I think more often than not it is the way the chrono is setup than other factors (humidity, temp, elevation, etc.). I think that there really needs to be some sort of standard on how the chorono is setup at Tournament-level matches (I think that is the right term, I mean Nationals, Areas, Sectionals, etc.). Greg Lent, the chrono person at the Nationals, has a good setup and the one used at the last couple of Area 8 matches seems to work well too.

Greg is da man!! Uh, I meant to say.... da Chronoman!! B)

He was on the job at A3, and the Summer Blast (although, I shot someone elses ammo at the SB, but that is a different story). I can't remember for sure, but it seemed like he said he was going to A5 as well. If that is the case, I am going to take 8 rounds of my A3 ammo there, and after I chrono for real, I'll ask him to chrono my A3 ammo and see if it comes up the same..... ;)

I ran some of my left over ammo from Area 3 over my Chrono today. Now grated the weather is not exactily the same, but it is darn close. The EXACT same ammo that just made major at 165.3 a week ago is now 177.6 WTF? Only thing I can think of is that at Area 3 we went to the chrono the VERY first thing, and today I had shot 6 stages before the chrono. :huh::blink::angry:

i just started reloading. a friend gave me a nice light load for 9mm production. i just had enough time to load enough for a full weekend of matches (gssf and tri-state). but i dont have a chrono, so i had no idea where it would end up. i decided to use it at tri-state because i was no threat to win the match...and even if you dont make 125, you can still shoot the whole match. big deal, my score wouldnt be posted. now, if missing minor would have meant a DQ and an early exit...well, then i'd have went with factory stuff. ended up at 130 (after a couple of crappy stages, i wished i hadnt made 125 ;) ...).

I went minor at my first US Nats. Borrowed gun, no time to test, went with a 'proven' load...oh well, still a good experience, and every year since I made major with plenty to spare (remember the days when Major was 175? ...lol...I still load to that level, I try to make 175 to 180)