Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I want a new gun for uspsa prod. Just can't decide which one

Gunfighter01

I've shot Sigs for 25 yrs an love them but, I used a glock 34 for uspsa. It had a vanek trigger kit, lone wolf barrel, sevigny sights, and the tactical mag release. The trigger was great, but, I could never get used to the grip angle, so I tried using my sig with fo front sight and the SRT trigger, it's ok but just that, ok. trying to decide between an m&p pro or an xd tactical. Xdm, not worth the money, when you have to get a trigger job on it anyway. Been reading this forum on both guns til my brain hurts. Xd pros: good trigger options, good resets. Xd cons: doesn't feel all that good in my hands, don't like the grip safety

Mp pro pros: love the way it feels in my hands. mp cons: mag disconnect, terrible trigger, especially the reset our lack there of. Was leaning to the mp, but having to choose between getting a light trigger or getting a good feeling reset is really bothering me, I'm very close to just sticking with my Sig. I just can't decide what to do....sigh! I guess what I'm trying to find out is, is it possible to get a 2.5# trigger, with a crisp break, short an crisp reset, and no light strike issues on the M&P Pro 9mm???? It does seem possible on the XD, and I know it's possible on a Glock, I just really like the M&P Pro

Edited by Gunfighter01

You can definitely get the trigger the way you want it on an m&p between the apex competition kit or gunsmith work. And dont let the mag disconnect sway your opinion. Its an easy 15 minute, $1 uninstall job. Just get a #1 spring from a hardware store and youtube it. I have no gunsmithing experience whatsoever and did it with ease.

Ive shot a few XDs and they are great guns no doubt but i personally dislike them for the same reasons as you, plus they have a higher sitting barrel which means slightly more felt recoil. Granted its not a huge deal, but one more thing to consider.

Btw im still running the factory trigger on my m&p. Am i the only one in the world who thinks its really not that bad? Sure out of the box my GFs xd feels lighter but its a minor difference. Ill probably get the apex eventually but its not a deal breaker for me.

I'm not sure I know what you are referring to as far as an M&P Pro "mag disconnect"? I have an M&P Pro, and have had it apart and have all Apex parts, and I don't remember seeing a mag disconnect, or if I did, I didn't know what it was. If it does have one, why is it a negative thing? Thanks.

I'm pretty sure the pro doesn't have a mag disconnect. If it did at "USC" I would have to put a mag back in. I think the M&p has a great trigger. All that is in mine is a apex sear and some polishing. As far as the reset, during the coarse of fire I'm not good enough to feel reset anyway, definantly can't hear it so I'm not worried about it. It resets in the same spot every time so that is all I really need. I would up grade the extractor though.

Send your Sig to Bruce Gray and have the competition package done on it. The guy is a genius and you will be blown away with the results. It's cheaper than a new gun, and then you'll have a Bruce Gray gun which is highly sought after. My buddy has an M&P .40 that he shoots limited with and he's done a ton of work to it. Have to say that the trigger is really nice on that thing but he's had issues the whole time with sights and such.

The mag disconnect is on calif approved models, the pro is not approved for calif, maybe thats why. I can still get it, I just have to jump through some hoops. There are no 5" M&P's approved for calif, and for uspsa or idpa, I want a 5" gun. I've shot a greyguns 226 and as nice as it was, I cant get myself to fork out $450.00 plus shipping and wait 6 weeks or longer for a trigger job.

Life,,, I'm curious to know what issues he's had with it??? As far as the rear sight moving, i would think that some blue loktite on the set screw would eliminate that problem, it did on my Sig.

Actually it was a problem with the factory sights and the pistol shooting about 5" low. Seemed to be rectified mostly with a Dawson adjustable rear. There's a lot of threads on the M&P here you should read. Have to keep in mind though that he's put a lot of dough into this to make it a competitive Limited gun, and by now he's got as much into it as I do in my STI Edge that I bought used. As a production gun it should be fine as long as the trigger job is done right and the sights are legal and set up right. There's a few that come up gently pre-owned in the classifieds here that you can get at a pretty good price, which would offset the cost of the rest of your gear. Once you buy extra mags, holster and mag pouches the entry costs to just shoot production with an M&P would almost pay for a job on your Sig if it's at all suitable to shoot.

If you're in CA & will have to spend ~$125 for the SSE conversion, why is the $100 price difference between the XDm 5.25 & the M&P Pro a dealbreaker?

I'd certainly put hands on both to ensure I'd like what I'm getting.

I can get an xd9 tactical 5" for 529.00 no SSE required..trigger job and adj rear/ FO front brings me up to about 900.00 with shipping to powder river. Both the xdm and the pro would require a SSE 125.00. Both require a trigger job. Price of gun, SSE, and FFL transfer fees, put the cost of the xdm and pro, probably 300.00 higher. I like the Pro, so basically it comes down to whether I can get a good of trigger on the pro, as I can the xd or the glock. Light, crisp, clean break, clean reset, an no light strike or reliability issues.. I don't do issues. The trigger issues on the pro is my big concern, with seemingly having to choose between light trigger or crisp reset. And not being able to have both, like the xd or the glock. To be honest, I shoot at a top club in socal and I dont see many if any M&P Pros being used, unless it's because there are no 5" pros approved for calif. Gear is not a concern, I have that covered.

Edited by Gunfighter01

Love the M&P Pro....great feeling in the hand. +1 on easy trigger parts change. It's also gaining a pretty good following this year with new shooters. Haven't seen as many XD shooters FWIW.

I don't want to fan any flames here, in fact I own 2 M&P's, several Glocks, and no XDM's...but, I recently got to handle and shoot an XDM 5.25, and it was a really great shootin' and nice feeling gun. Certainly a contender for production, and not a "waste of time"! As a matter of fact, IMO it's definitely one of the "Big 3" polymer production guns.

Edited by rack&roll

I think both the XD and the M&P are great guns. I'm looking into getting a 5.25 xd and a trigger job for production. I currently own an M&P that I shoot for production and 3 gun (it's stock) and I have no problems with it at all. Both great guns so I don't think you can go wrong with either. Every gun has pros and cons. Just gotta figure out which cons you can live with easier than the other.

When you shoot a CZ your search might be over.

I recently shot a friends, my first thought was, "why did I ever goof around with Glocks?"

Just the sweetest thing to shoot. Of course he had worked up some really good loads for it at about 135pf. Having never shot one and standing in front of a plate machine, I let er rip. I handed it back to him. No, no, shoot it more!! I can't I told him, I'll never give it back! Very nice!!