Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S1050 - Broke my Ratchet restriction Tab

I've been running too smooth for too long with the S1050. Finally had some kind of malf on the down stroke and I figured to raise the tool head to clean the plate and clear whatever problem was preventing me from getting a full downstroke.

Well I forgot about the ratchet and made the stupid mistake of forcing the handle up. Thankfully the ratchet restriction tab is the weakest link and I snapped it, I think, without damaging anything else on the machine.

Anyone else break one of these? Did you break anything else while breaking it? I finished up my run of primers without issue, actually liked the quiet and smoother running machine. I'm thinking to buy the parts on my next order from Brian but for the short term I'm considering running the machine ratchetless to get through the next 1500 rounds of .45ACP I want to run. Any experience to share?

Mine started hanging up even when it wasn't short stroked. I removed it 10,000 or so rounds ago and have never missed it.

Mine was doing this and I fixed it by increasing tension on the ball detent by adjusting the screw on the left side of the press frame directly behind the ball.

After making that adjustement my 1050 was running super smooth for 5-6,000 rounds (only 10K on machine now some I'm still a newB)which probably led me to the conclusion that it was just a hung up piece of brass in the sizing die and the decision to force the handle against the ratchet.

If anyone has done something similar and not suffered collateral damage I will feel comfortable completing my run of .45 ACP and hold off on buying parts/making repairs until I need to perform a caliber change. I'll just add a couple of QC checks the next time I load and make sure everything is as I had set it to be. Thank you.

Edited by pmclaine

When I process brass I remove the rachet becuase there it serves even less purpose however when I load I enable it to ensure that I only get 1 powder stroke and get one every time. But that is just me.

I thought the parts kit came with an extra rachet tab in it but I could be wrong.

Retread

I have the parts kit. I'll check it out. I kind of put that to the side and only intend to use it for the Friday night breakdowns when I wont have time to order a part. My heirs will be throwing it out with all the other stuff I have accumulated that they will consider "junk".

on an SUPER 1050, doesn't the ratchet assembly interact w/the primer feed assembly?

No, they have nothing to do with each other.

so i can just remove the ratchet assembly entirely? at a casual glance it looks like the ratchet assembly actually activates the primer slide. i guess i need to take a hard look at how to remove it. i have already (using the adj. screw) deactivated it (adj. it out of use). how involved is it to entirely remove? thanks and yes, i LOVE this machine. everyone but one guy says they wish they hadda replaced their 650 w/their 1050 years ago. if i wasn't fixing to retire i'd buy another!

Indirectly I think it interacts through the primer slide activator arm. If I adjust that thing down far enough to stay hooked in the primer slide, the ratchet will hang up on the last "tooth". If I move it up 1 hair, the arm gets unhooked from the primer slide. The ratchet assembly did not last on my 1050.

(And I don't miss that sound :rolleyes: )

Indirectly I think it interacts through the primer slide activator arm. If I adjust that thing down far enough to stay hooked in the primer slide, the ratchet will hang up on the last "tooth". If I move it up 1 hair, the arm gets unhooked from the primer slide. The ratchet assembly did not last on my 1050.

(And I don't miss that sound :rolleyes: )

i think thats where i am at now. but i would rather just remove the damn thing.

• 6 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but what actually causes the ratchet to latch? Since all the functions are done on the down stroke, what is causing the ratchet to catch on the upstroke? I know most just remove, but mine operated great for many thousands of rounds and now is catching all the time.

Update: So mine was catching after full downstroke, just catching about halfway up on the upstroke. Confusing the crap out of me. Finally found a thread that talked about tightening up the screw on the backside of the ratchet thing. Did that and seemed to fix the problem. I'm still unclear as to what actuates the ratchet to engage. What action or lack of actually causes it to lock the ratchet bar? If it is simply a full down stroke, I might have other problems.

Now that that is fixed, I started getting an intermittent "fail to index" problem. Full down stroke, the shell plate starts to index and then just stops. Handle gets "squishy" feeling. Going back down and up seems to free it up. Visual inspection looks like the indexer arm and such are in good shape. Only have about 22-23k rounds through the 1050. I only have 1200 of 40s left to run before I am changing over to 9mm, so I really don't want to break it all down before that. I'm going to try and knock out the rest of the 40s tonight and then do a thorough cleaning and inspection. Maybe there is just some crap in there somewhere. Keeping fingers crossed.

update#2 for the day: So after doing a few hundred rounds fairly consistently last night, I probably shouldn't have said anything about the indexing problem. Tonight, after about 20 rounds, it was having the indexing problem on every round. Full down stroke, then about 90% of the way up it would hang and index about 3/4 of the way to next station. Pulling the handle down about 1 inch and then going back up would allow the index to complete. Visually checked all the hardware and it looks and feels fine. After about another 50 rounds of this crap, I decided to take the ratchet thing off as a test. Well, no more indexing problem. Can't believe how smooth it is now. So, just simply taking off the ratchet thing fixed all the problems I was having. I loaded about 300 more rounds over 30 min or so, just going slow to make sure everything was working ok. Still can't believe how smooth it is now. knock on wood, frustration is over.

I will finish off this batch of 40s and then do a deep clean during the change over to 9mm.