Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite Muzzle Comps

I'm in the middle of my first AR build and I'm looking for opinions on muzzle compensator. I'm not too worried about noise, I'd just like to keep the barrel as flat as possible. What are your favorite brakes?

Unquestionably the flattest muzzle brake is the EFFIN-A. Nothing comes close once you tune it. It is also the quietest. The problem is the size, weight and all the screws utilized. And of course it is difficult to clean. So after considering everything I chose the Pri-Quiet Brake. It is very effective, small, light and relatively easy to clean.

Have you by chance tried the search function?

There are at least a dozen threads here on Enos, never has there been a concensus on the "best" brake...because it does not exist. Your stance, hold, load, gas system, reciprocating mass, all affect the performance parameters that make the comps EFFECTIVE for you. I have tried and tested them all sans the SJC (waiting on the new version) and with some tuning, can make them do what I want them to do on my rifle. I have about 10 in my parts bin, some I will use, others are not worth messing with.

Unless you clean your rifles regularly, the ones with high pressure chambers can build up deposits that affect accuracy. Keeping them too clean reduces lifespan.

Best advice, try a bunch with the same load on a bunch of rifles.

Good advice, get a Nordic Corvette and a Miculek ($48 and $38 @ Midway) and shoot them both and compare and contrast the differences and preferences. You will learn a lot more than reading what someone else says is the best comp.

I'm gonna +1 on the PRI Quiet Brake. Out of all the breaks I've seen, I have been most impressed with it.

I like the JP Recoil Eliminator the best, other than its huge ugly profile, and its soooooooo freakin loud. But if you really want to have fun, slap one on a 10.5" sbr AR and shoot it under a metal roof covered shooting port. The guys on the table to the left and right clear out real quick...

Have you by chance tried the search function?

There are at least a dozen threads here on Enos, never has there been a concensus on the "best" brake...because it does not exist. Your stance, hold, load, gas system, reciprocating mass, all affect the performance parameters that make the comps EFFECTIVE for you. I have tried and tested them all sans the SJC (waiting on the new version) and with some tuning, can make them do what I want them to do on my rifle. I have about 10 in my parts bin, some I will use, others are not worth messing with.

Unless you clean your rifles regularly, the ones with high pressure chambers can build up deposits that affect accuracy. Keeping them too clean reduces lifespan.

Best advice, try a bunch with the same load on a bunch of rifles.

Good advice, get a Nordic Corvette and a Miculek ($48 and $38 @ Midway) and shoot them both and compare and contrast the differences and preferences. You will learn a lot more than reading what someone else says is the best comp.

Mark! I was going to post all of what you just posted but nobody really listens…Just get a few fanboys to say THIS IS THE ONE and that's that.

I also thought about making my link to the Seekins brake say "The Best Brake he the WORLD" then it would be so!

To the OP... do what MarkCO is suggesting and buy the Miculek for 30 bucks and run it. Save your cash for ammo.

The SJC Titan is the best comp going in my opinion and thats based on trying a fair amount of them. The other day on a stage I had my trigger double because I was feathering it too much and both rounds hit a 6 inch steel Auto popper at 130 yards. The gun shoots that flat with the Titan. As to saving money and getting a cheaper brake. The Titan comes in at less than $100. For me thats not a lot of money to worry about. $70 bucks is a night out with your girlfriend.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

I have tried and used many different types of comps. Many of them work very well. I have quite a few AR's with these comps on my rifle.

Brakes.JPG

Brakes1.JPG

Brakes2.JPG

Captions, bitte!

And Pat, $70 doesn't get me a night out with the wife for those of us with kids. Heck, $70 barely gets a babysitter around here...

Mark! I was going to post all of what you just posted but nobody really listens…Just get a few fanboys to say THIS IS THE ONE and that's that.

I also thought about making my link to the Seekins brake say "The Best Brake he the WORLD" then it would be so!

To the OP... do what MarkCO is suggesting and buy the Miculek for 30 bucks and run it. Save your cash for ammo.

:roflol:

BTW, Patrick was the first one to lay down a comparative of many of the comps taking out all the variables he could. The article was in front sight and was very informative. Actually shooting them and testing them lays aside a lot of the emotional cheering for a paticular comp. The Seekins is certainly a very good comp recomended by one of the rocks of the sport. Also, understand that some of the "new" comps are really just variations on some of the old standbys. The EFFIN-A, Seekins and Firebird Dominator are three newer comps that really are "new" designs and not just some modified copies. I'd put all three of them in the top tier as far as performance is concerned.

Now, off to build a rifle for RM3G and pick a comp out of the bucket.

The SJC Titan is the best comp going in my opinion and thats based on trying a fair amount of them. The other day on a stage I had my trigger double because I was feathering it too much and both rounds hit a 6 inch steel Auto popper at 130 yards. The gun shoots that flat with the Titan. As to saving money and getting a cheaper brake. The Titan comes in at less than $100. For me thats not a lot of money to worry about. $70 bucks is a night out with your girlfriend.

Pat

I;ve been very pleased with the Titan. Found one used on ARFCom at a good price.

Are brakes just louder for people around the shooter? Or does the shooter get subject to increased loudness as well? For example...miculek brake. To me as the shooter it seems louder.

It is also important to realize that comps are not just about recoil management, they also play a big part in managing the blast sound of the rifle. For me personally I hate the sjc Titan because of the blast and how loud it is. My choice is the miculek or the PRI quiet comp is my personal favorite

Not speaking for Patrick, but I recently got hold of a Seekins in .308 and I could not feel an appreciable difference between it and the Surefire that I have been running. The Seekins 223 is right up there with Titan in .223 but is easier on the skull.

I have tried the Titan in both calibers and it is the flattest, but it gives me a headache and I am the one on the gun.

Kuan

Edited by ShootfastRunfaster

I run a Surefire and like it a lot. Bought it mostly for looks. It was perhaps a tad better than the JP Cooley Comp I was running but not so much so as to need to switch.

I put a Nordic Corvette Comp on a friends rifle and it was very effective. He shot it with and without and commented on the difference. BTW, he is not a competitor, just a range guy wanting something to plink with so the need to have the "it" thing is not there.

Mark & Pat have it right. Buy a lower priced one to start and go from there. You will end up like the rest of us wit a box of them too. :)

Not speaking for Patrick, but I recently got hold of a Seekins in .308 and I could not feel an appreciable difference between it and the Surefire that I have been running. The Seekins 223 is right up there with Titan in .223 but is easier on the skull.

I have tried the Titan in both calibers and it is the flattest, but it gives me a headache and I am the one on the gun.

Kuan

Thank you for your feedback, looks like it's gonna be a Seekins(if it actually ships), Titan or possibly Arredondo in that order. Unless one catches my fancy before I move all the way down the line. I am open to suggestions for .308 comps. I have the Titan in .223 and have shot it in .308, just trying to avoid the blast of gas/pressure/noise(it does indeed work well). Anybody have experience with the American Precision Arms Little Jimmy or Little Bastard? If so what are the dimensions and your experiences?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the feedback! It took us a bit to get the brakes into production, but we just finished packaging a bunch up and filling everyones orders. I'm not sure how many we will have left out of this production run as the dealers and distributors are sucking them up quick. I know DSG arms just got a bunch of them sent their way.

I will say this and stand by it 100%.. If you get our brake and you decide you want something else on your rifle we will take it back!

Also, we just got our new website launched. Has some better pics. We also have a upper, lower and complete gun builder! check it out!