Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HARD CHROME OR BLUE STI EDGE

60crewman

:cheers: Hi everyone, I am getting a new sti edge and was wondering what your experiance is with hard chrome, is it worth it? does it glare in bright sunlight? I would like some advice from people who have used either or both. Just would like to know the goods and bads of both. Thanks to everyone who replies.

You won't get any glare with a matte finish. Many do a brushed finish on the flats and matte in the top and shoulders of the slide.

Chrome will help keep lock up and the slide to frame fit tighter, longer. It also helps with corrosion protection.

I have a chromed Brazos Edge and really like the finish. I haven't noticed any glare from sun, as it is more of a matte look than shiney. I like the extra corrosion protection and the weight doesn't bother me as I am a big guy.

I would get it in the blue that way you can cut or grind/ blend on it to get it how you like it. You might want to lighten the slide a bit then chrome it.

Blue, and shoot the snot out of it. When someone asks you why your 2011 has so much wear on it, tell them it's character, and it's because you actually use it. ;)

I resemble that remark. LOL

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Blue, and shoot the snot out of it. When someone asks you why your 2011 has so much wear on it, tell them it's character, and it's because you actually use it. ;)

Well yours is full of scratches and just overall is in terrible condition. I'll trade you the Spartan for it so you don't have to look at it anymore.

Well yours is full of scratches and just overall is in terrible condition. I'll trade you the Spartan for it so you don't have to look at it anymore.

Throw in that crappy Harley and we have a deal.

I have several Hard Chromed pistols, they just wear better, seem to stay tighter longer. The finish will get a few slight marks and the beaver tail will rust if you don't wipe it down. My Trojan 9mm has thousands of round through it. Had it rebarreled over the winter but the Chrome finish still looks 90%. Factory finish is marked after only a few draws from the holster.

If your building a gun have it chromed after all the work is completed. Factory Edge, if your not going to do any mill work on it order it chromed might save a little on the front end. Planning on mill work wait till the work is complete the have it finished.

• 2 weeks later...

Clark's built me a Hard-Chrome Norinco single stack where the top was bead-blasted and the sides were polished. I shot it in the Texas sun several times and never saw any glare. In fact, about the only time I saw any glare was when I took a picture in low-light and the flash was caught in it. Even my blued guns will do this.

Clark2.jpg

Got both. Like the hard chrome for wear, especially over the blue. Just had my worn out finish STI redone in Ion Bond, by Springer Precision. Really like the mat black finish, looks great, but it's the supposed longevity of the finish I like. Advertising says it's tough stuff, but time will tell. Other shooters tell me Kydex will not mar the finish, but I'm using a race holster just in case.