Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Operating Handle Up or Down?

Just wondering if you leave your operating handle down with cases in the dies when you stop reloading for the day or up? I have been leaving mine up with a bullet placed in the shell casings at station 3 and 4 to protect the powder charge. Any comments or suggestions as to why one way is better than the other? Curious minds (Mine mainly) want to know! Thanks for your replies!

If I am finishing FOR THE DAY, I'll completely empty the machine. If I am just pausing for a second (doorbell or phone rings, for example), I'll put the handle down. That's a habit that I picked up when I used a 550. Still works today on the 1050.

I didn't want there to be any doubt where I was in the loading process. With a 550, if the ram is down, the question becomes "Do I need to index now or did I do it already?". For most cartridges, you could just look in the case to see if powder was present, but I used to load a lot of 38 Special also. It's a little harder with that one....

If I am finishing FOR THE DAY, I'll completely empty the machine. If I am just pausing for a second (doorbell or phone rings, for example), I'll put the handle down.

+1

that includes putting the powder back into the jug.

Thanks for the replys so far. I have a 550 and 2 650's one 650 is set up with small primers for 38 and some 9mm, the other one with large primers for 45. I will be using the 550 for some rifle and other special loads 38-45ACP and 45 shot shells. I usually place a bullet on the case's in station 3 and 4 in the 650 for 45 so I know that I need to remove the bullet in station 3 and lower the handle to check that powder charge as I have a powder check die on all my 650 toolheads. Empty the machine sounds like a good option though. I use the same case feeder on both my 650's.

Up and empty even if I am only walking away for a minute. It does not take long to empty it are to fill it up again. The exception is if I am grabbing more bullets/powder/primers then the first station is empty. RL550B

Edited by Poppa Bear

Normally if I'm walking away from the machine I'm done for the day and the handle is up just for the XXL Ziploc over the 650, but i have been growing slightly concerned about the exposed bottom part of the machine so i might start leaving it down, but the machine is empty aside from maybe a few 9mm casings ready to go in the casefeed

I leave my press empty with the handle up when I am done loading for that day. That makes me start from the beginning every time I go to start loading so I always know where I'm at.

+1 ALWAYS CLEAN UP AND PUT AWAY EVERYDAY. START FROM FRESH

I leave the handle up and place a 9mm casing upside down in the .40 S&Ws Im loading at each station and then a large plastic bag is pulled over the press. Not sure how there could be a problem when starting up again as a double charge is impossible because an empty cartridge is waiting at that station.

My wife likes me to keep it up so she doesn't bump into it :devil:

I set a bullet over any cases with powder to keep out moisture and place a kleenex over the shellplate to remind me to remove the extra bullet before starting. Handles up and machines full of components and ready to go. Measure the first two powder charges on start-up. Never a problem though.

Two 1050's, one 650 and 550.

• 2 weeks later...

Empty and up when I finish for the day. Including powder back into the jug. Im never sure when I will get back for another run.

I also check the powder drop at the beginning of a loading session to make sure something hasn't changed

Super 1050 and a 650. Love'm both

Guess I'm the odd man out. I leave handle up, bullets on charged cases, ready to press. Unless I'm finished with the lot I'm working on. XL650. I walk up to the press, do a quick visual, start pressing.