Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Am I The Only Shooter Wearing Gloves?

A couple of my friends have laughed at me in the past for wearing 'shooting gloves' when I shoot. I wear these >>>> http://www.mechanix.com/2010-m-pact-covert-glove and have worn gloves of many types since I started shooting on a serious level in 1998.

If I don't have gloves on then I feel naked! :)

The reason I started wearing them was due to the high amount of punishment that my palms and trigger finger were taking. When you shoot a lot of 44 Magnum and 45/70 Gov't from a TC Encore Pistol you tend to get fatigued very quickly. Then, while shooting the polymer guns my trigger finger will get blisters after 500 rounds in a weekend.

Are any of you wearing them? I find that they give me a more positive grip and better purchase on the pistol.

A couple of my friends have laughed at me in the past for wearing 'shooting gloves' when I shoot. I wear these >>>> http://www.mechanix.com/2010-m-pact-covert-glove and have worn gloves of many types since I started shooting on a serious level in 1998.

The reason I started wearing them was due to the high amount of punishment that my palms and trigger finger were taking. When you shoot a lot of 44 Magnum and 45/70 Gov't from a TC Encore Pistol you tend to get fatigued very quickly. Then, while shooting the polymer guns my trigger finger will get blisters after 500 rounds in a weekend.

Are any of you wearing them? I find that they give me a more positive grip and better purchase on the pistol.

in the practical disciplines the only time I've seen anyone wear a glove has been open shooters on 3 gun, and only when shooting shotguns...

they usually hold the shotgun by the barrel as the push in the speed loader.. with out a glove, it's a guaranteed way to burn your hand..

outside of that.. i don't think anyone wears gloves..

Wear'em if they work for you. If I were to wear gloves, I'd dry fire with them too just to keep things consistent.

A couple of my friends have laughed at me in the past for wearing 'shooting gloves' when I shoot.

Are any of you wearing them?

Nobody I know of shoots with gloves.

I know what you are saying...when I used to shoot my .44 a lot and some others, the gloves did help. On those really cold or hot days, it may help also. However, I haven't worn any gloves in probably 10-15 years. Now if I try to wear them, I feel like the gun grip is like a 2x4.

As it was said above...do what works for you. Don't let anyone tell you not to do it just because they don't like.

FWIW: People used to laugh at golfers and baseball players that wore gloves... They said there was no way it could help. Look at all the top pros in both sports today... Those without gloves are almost extinct.

I'll also add that there's a pretty big difference between shooting a manly .44 all day and any of the relative pipsqueak calibers (9mm to .45) used in the game. If gloves save your hands then that's the only reason you need.

There's a guy at my range who wears gloves. He's a solid B-Limited guy who regularly lays a whooping on my B-Limited ass. I don't think the gloves made him a B nor are they holding him back from advancing to A.

If you want to get all objective about it, do some gun handling dexterity drills i.e. reloads, cold starts, etc... with and without to see if the gloves make any difference - positive or negative. Then decide if you want to continue with the gloves.

I'll also add that there's a pretty big difference between shooting a manly .44 all day and any of the relative pipsqueak calibers (9mm to .45) used in the game. If gloves save your hands then that's the only reason you need.

There's a guy at my range who wears gloves. He's a solid B-Limited guy who regularly lays a whooping on my B-Limited ass. I don't think the gloves made him a B nor are they holding him back from advancing to A.

If you want to get all objective about it, do some gun handling dexterity drills i.e. reloads, cold starts, etc... with and without to see if the gloves make any difference - positive or negative. Then decide if you want to continue with the gloves.

Does the guy you're talking about only wear a glove in his support hand??

if so i think he just didn't get over his Micheal Jackson phase :P

I tried them for one match. I found one Positive, several ties, and several Negatives in their use. If conditions were different I could find more positives, but they all were based on injuries, or temperature extremes of either equipment or climate.

We wear a glove on our support hand when shooting barricade with an iron sight/limited gun in NRA Action (Bianchi). The hand may touch the barricade but the gun must not. You need to be tough to shoot this event without a glove.

Edited by Mr Badger

He must be saving the sequined glove for the upcoming GBC. :roflol:

He must be saving the sequined glove for the upcoming GBC. :roflol:

I promised him my bedazzler!

I wear a glove on my support hand. Shotgun barrels get hot in 3 gun, and I also wear it when I shoot revolver. Being left handed, I stick my thumb through the frame for reloading...it gets hot in there too :)

My shooting buddy is going to start wearing a support hand glove because he almost always manages to draw blood :ph34r:

• 7 months later...

I don't wear gloves because I know that in an emergency I probably won't be wearing them. If you like wearing gloves, go for it, but I think that everyone should practice to be prepared the same amount of time they practice for sport.

A couple of my friends have laughed at me in the past for wearing 'shooting gloves' when I shoot. I wear these >>>> http://www.mechanix....ct-covert-glove and have worn gloves of many types since I started shooting on a serious level in 1998.

If I don't have gloves on then I feel naked! smile.gif

in the practical disciplines the only time I've seen anyone wear a glove has been open shooters on 3 gun, and only when shooting shotguns...

they usually hold the shotgun by the barrel as the push in the speed loader.. with out a glove, it's a guaranteed way to burn your hand..

outside of that.. i don't think anyone wears gloves..

I wear a glove on my weak (left) hand when shooting shotgun events or 3gun due to reloading stronghand with it. I have always been faster at stronghand reloading and it also frees up a lot of space for mag on my left side.

I am using a racquetball glove.

I found that in the summer my hands would get very slippery from sweat and the problem I was having wasnt so much gripping the gun but it was my weakhand was slipping on my strong hand where the fingers overlapped the knuckles. Put on the glove and BAM made a word of difference!

I am an open 3-gun shooter and wear one on my left hand while shooting rifle & shotgun stages. I have on occasion had it on when the stage requires a pistol and found no real issue. I do not think I'd like one on my right hand unless the thumb & index finger on the glove were removed.