Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDS First Impressions

crabby

• 1 month later...

Anyone care to comment on how the XDS carries / shoots compared to a Colt Defender 1911? I haven't had the opportunity to compare the two s/s, but with thin grips the Colt measures close to the XDS (yes, the exposed hammer makes it a little longer). I'm on my 6th XD/XDM and will always have 1911's, so I'm wondering if an investment in an XDS is going to get me something I don't already have in the Defender. Thoughts?

My father brought his colt officer's model over to compare with my xds. He shot better with the xds than any other hangun he has, including his government models, but still shot better with his officer's. Of course, he's had the officer's model for a long time, and it is his CCW on a normal basis. But, he felt for most people, the xds would be a better CCW. That said, he hates not having a thumb safety on the xd line (and hates double stack magazines in general).

Anyone care to comment on how the XDS carries / shoots compared to a Colt Defender 1911? I haven't had the opportunity to compare the two s/s, but with thin grips the Colt measures close to the XDS (yes, the exposed hammer makes it a little longer). I'm on my 6th XD/XDM and will always have 1911's, so I'm wondering if an investment in an XDS is going to get me something I don't already have in the Defender. Thoughts?

Carries easier than an officer's model, less recoil, just as accurate. It's that good.

I'm a pretty die hard 1911 guy and have carried a light weight OACP quite a bit. The XDs is easier to carry and easier to shoot. Hard to explain you just have to shoot it. It feels too thin in my big hand but when I shoot it somehow that is not an issue. The light weight and especially the thinness make it a great carry gun. Carried mine the first day I got it and many times later without a holster just tucked IWB with no problems. Still looking for the perfect holster.

As far as recoil being too much, my granddaughters age 16 and 21 who are not shooters shot it with no complaints.

Saw the two tone in person this weekend, it looks great and would be my choice if available.

I was happy to read your report since one of my frequent daily CCW is also a Kahr PM9. I also carry an Officers ACP on a pretty regular basis, so some of the other comments were of interest as well.

I think there may be an XDS in my future. I have a couple of XDm's and have been very happy with them.

• 4 months later...

Anyone shooting 200 grain LSWC through a XDS? I am picking mine up on Wednesday and all I have on hand is the 200 grain loads I use in my light weight officers model 1911. With the way things are who knows when I can get some 230 grain bullets to reload.

• 2 weeks later...

I was lucky enough to happen upon a new XDs under retail at a local chain store shortly after Christmas, and added it to the collection. Overall I'm very impressed with it's carry - ability and shooting. Blade-tech made me an UCH IWB holster and it rides very well. Compared to my Colt Defender, I miss the beavertail grip safety and 1911 trigger, but they are very comparable. The XDs seems to have a little more muzzle rise, but nothing that influences splits when shooting.

On my first outing (100 rds) the slide cut me back on the base of my thumb, and I managed to get a blister on the bottom side end of my trigger finger. The cut was most likely due to my high thumb (1911 safety ride) and trying to get comfortable with the new grip shape, but I'm currently experimenting with the smaller grip insert to see if that pushes my hand up slightly less. The trigger finger blister seemed to be due to the gun recoiling upward and forcing my finger to the trigger guard while resetting, almost pinching between trigger bottom and guard . The pull weight felt heavy as new ( measured 7.5#) and I believe this combined with my grip (or lack) contributed. I've since added the PRP spring kit which brought the pull weight down to just under 5#, and all seems well.

The XDs points well and appears very accurate. I'm getting used to the sights (prefer a narrower front w/more light) but am overall very pleased and will be carrying this over the Defender.

I still have yet to find one of these, other than online and prefer to see how it feels before buying one.

Anyone shooting 200 grain LSWC through a XDS? I am picking mine up on Wednesday and all I have on hand is the 200 grain loads I use in my light weight officers model 1911. With the way things are who knows when I can get some 230 grain bullets to reload.

I would imagine it would shoot them just fine.

I still have yet to find one of these guns, other than online, and prefer to see how it feels before buying one.

The XDS 45ACP has sparked my interest after reading some reviews. Got on Springfields web site for a dealer locator and they don't show it. Seems strange to me.

I hate buying a gun before I can put my hand on it. Done it before but....

I really want one but want to wait for the 40 and 9 to come out for comparison. I WILL have one but it remains to be seen what cal.

Playing the same waiting game.

I couldnt wait and boght a 45. Im glad I did. Its not something I want to shoot all day with GoldDots but with my reloads its not bad. However it IS a carry gun so its always got the GoldDots in it.

I got mine last week and love it. Best out of the box trigger I've ever felt - very crisp and clean. I put some Talon rubberized grips on it and a MIC holster, and it literally disappears IWB. But, I'm used to carrying a fullsize M&P. Maybe I should buy another one for the left side? :D

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up an XDs yesterday, and put 100 rounds thru it this afternoon. Functions and fires perfectly, shoots nice tight groups, and the red fiber front site is awesome. I prefer to use the 7 round mag as I've got large mitts but the 5 rounds work with my pinky wrapped around my support hand.

One thing the XDs is not, is easy on the hands, at least compared to my 4" XD45. The grip is very aggressive, like an old “pineapple” grenade and leaves pretty good impressions on your hands. It also will give you a good case of “Glock thumb” which kind of looks and feels like rug burn by the end of the day. :blush:

In the end, a very nice piece and I’m happy with it overall. Even with its limited capacity of 7+1 it’ll most likely become my primary carry, but with an extra 5 round mag in my pocket. :D

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Lots of folks are shooting the XDs9 now. Saw three sitting on the shelf at the LGS just yesterday. The XDTalk site as a sub-forum just for the XDs. Lots of recent info concerning the 9mm. I'm content at this point with my XDs45.

Edited by arizona98tj

...One thing the XDs is not, is easy on the hands, at least compared to my 4" XD45. The grip is very aggressive, like an old “pineapple” grenade and leaves pretty good impressions on your hands....

Talon gun grips helps that a lot! I bought the gun grips before I bought the gun, knowing how aggressive the grips are.