Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why not W231 for .45 and 9mm and be done with it?...

Steve D.

I just bought 1 Lb. each of Clays and Tight-Group for .45 and 9mm respectively. I read great accounts of these two powders for their two calibers here in the forum BUT I also read many people are happy with good-old W231 being used in BOTH cartridges. I have Not shot ANY of these two other powders before, nor started with them in the press yet. I have just been using W231 and Bullseye.

I shoot Jacketed or Copper-Plated over Medium loads for paper targets at 50' Only and do not compete in any organized events. I run 150-200 rnds through the guns at each session and clean after each time at the range.

If W231 is Accurate, Comfortable-Shooting, Inexpensive, meters-well, etc. BUT is a little extra fouling or soot...are those other two powders still that much "better"?

I was curious what people's thoughts were here but I am also going to be finding out for myself in the next couple of weeks.

It works well. It is safe, linear, good bulk, meters well, available, cheap. It is dirty/sooty. If I use Solo, I save about 1 grain per charge and Solo is cleaner with less felt recoil.

Like Ben said 231 is dirtier than some powders but, if you clean your guns occasionally no reason not to. there may be better powders for each caliber but it won't make that much difference, with one exception if your 45 is for a revolver run Clays so clean that I never brush my cylinder during a match and mostly not between matches either.

Mike

Have always used 231 as my go to powder for my .45,.. get used to it and know it ways and you will be fine USPSA probably burned more 231 back in the day than any other market segment .

And most everyone has some for sale.

use it for my .38 Spl also

John

I use 231 (over 100 lbs so far) in all my pistol reloading. .40, .45, .38spl.

I don't load for nine but if I did, I'm sure I'd use 231.

Using Bayou Bullets, I get very little soot or dirt with 231.

I used to use 231, maybe 15 years ago for 9mm, .40, and .45, but, there are a lot of other powders out there that are cleaner, and less harsh.

Clays is pretty soft, and I've used a lot of it in the past for .40 minor, and .45, but, due to it's temperature sensitivity, I'm done with it. :surprise:

For years I used 231 for .45 9mm and 38spl. It was easy to get. metered well and I never had any problem in the accuracy area. In fact back in the day, I was directed to use 231 by a serious Bullseye shooter. To make a long story short, I still 231 for 9mm and 38 spl but I have changed to WST for my .45 major loads. WST is a bit less harsh in the recoil department then 231. As for sooty,. Yes 231 is a bit more sooty, but it cleans up rather easy with hoppes or Ed's red. If I was just loading lighter loads for paper punching, I would still be using 231 in my .45's

Although only reloading for last 8 mos, I have tried lots of powders but keep coming back to 231 for: .38, 9mm, & .40. My first .45 reloads will start with 231.

Using behind Rainier plated bullets.

Edited by Yachtmaster

I use W231 for 9, 40 and 45. I was using a few different powders, but I just simplified it all....W231 for all those calibers and Bayou Bullets. I like the dirtiness........ :devil:

What bullet weights are you loading? I haven't tried 231 yet, and wonder how it would compare to Universal or WST in 9mm with 124gr FMJ/JHP, 130gr lead, 147gr FMJ, or Clays or WST in .45acp with 185gr JHP, 200gr lead, or 230gr FMJ/JHP?

I use a lot of 231. I don't see any huge significant benefit of the other powders in 9, 40 or 45. Tinkering is fun- but training will give you the best benefit... much more so that switching powders. There is no magic powder...

I use a lot of 231. I don't see any huge significant benefit of the other powders in 9, 40 or 45. Tinkering is fun- but training will give you the best benefit... much more so that switching powders. There is no magic powder...

Au Contraire

I have it on good authority that with the right bullet, right powder and correct springs, one can make Master class without ever practicing.....

My favorite all around powder is Ramshot Zip but I do load other powders especially in 45 I like their Competition for that. I also load a little with TrueBlue but it reminded me of PowerPistol a little flashy for indoors but metered excelent being a superfine ball powder.

I was using Solo, but grew tired of the lot to lot inconsistency and the temp sensitivity. I switched to HP38/231 this year and have been very pleased with it. It meters well, and is accurate. I use Frog lube on my guns, so any soot just wipes right off with a paper towel, even when I shoot lead.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using 231 for years & will continue to do so. It has always been available & economical out here, and has always done the job. 9mm, .38spl., .40, & .45. it has always been the powder for my standard loads. As mentioned, it's not the cleanest powder but I am used to cleaning my guns after each outing.

231, if it meets your needs, stay with it. I guess I've used about 8 different powders for handgun loading over the years, and don't have any significant issue with 231. I like a bit slower powder for 147 gr. 9mm, but other than that 231 would suit me fine for 9 and 45 reloading(I also could live with Unique or WSF for everything, but that's me....).

Nothing wrong with 231, it's put a lot of bullets down range. It's dirty but not much worse than Titegroup. It meters fine dosen't have a bad swing on temperture changes. It works well in most standard pistol calibers.

I went with Clays for 45 using 200 cast lead bullets. Clays is cleaner and soft shooting.

Been playing with Solo 1000 and Titegroup in 9mm minor. Titegroup seems to be more consistant but Solo 1000 is softer shooting and accurate. Solo 1000 is a light flake powder dosen't meter well, had to polish the powder funnel to keep it from bridging. Solo also has a rapid drop in pressure when it gets warm in the summer, living in the South that is an issue. Most of the Dot powders I've tried work fine in 9mm minor also.

I like W231 particularly for 9mm and 40 - I shoot a lot of lead and a I shoot it from Glocks - I am not sure why but I get less leading (often none) with w231 - I wonder if the soot, which is mostly graphite, actually coats the barrel and prevents leading. I used to have lots of leading with 9mm lead loads - now it works and saves a lot of money.

For 45 I use Clays - accurate and soft shooting.

9mm with jacketed I prefer Titegroup.

I use W231 for all my 9mm, .45 and .38spl loads. I don't find it that much dirtier than some other powders and I clean my guns every 3-400 rounds anyway.

I like buying a big jug of powder and being able to use it for just about all of my pistol loadings.

Is there probably one better powder for each of the three calibers I load the most? Probably.

Is it worth keeping three different powders for ? Not for me anyway.

I've used W231 a few times. My standard pistol powder is WSF because I can use it for 9mm. 40, 10mm, 45 ACP and also in my 20ga. One powder for everything. Unique would cover it as well, but WSF produces very similar ballistics and meters better than Unique. That's the only reason I use it over Unique.