Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help need insights from other knee arthritis patients

h4444

OK, I've had knee pain for years. I probably waited too long to deal with it. I had surgery at the beginning of the year to repair a meniscus tear and clean out a bunch of arthritic damage. The end of my femur/thigh bone basically has no cartilage left.

This has helped some, but the arthritis keeps flaring up and has started getting worse again. I'm relatively young (not even 40),,,,hoping to get another decade or two out of that knee as I don't want to have to go through replacing a replacement down the line.

My question is, does anyone here use an offloading/unloading knee brace to help with their arthritis (looks like those are used with OA of the knee)? Does it help??? My insurance will cover 80% as my deductible is paid in full, so I figure if there is a time to get one that is probably now.

Also, if you have/use one, can you tell me about it???

Twisting/turning on my bum knee is just murder and small repetitive motions like driving say 45 minutes or more ensure me days of pain/recovery.

Any particular meds working for you all that you care to comment about? The OTC stuff just doesn't seem to help much at all.

Lastly, if you want to keep your feedback/info private, please feed free to PM me. Any insight will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Byron

P.S. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place. Seems like training to me as if I can move better,,,,I can perform better. :lol:

CRAP. Just got back from the Ortho. My current problem is the arthritis flaring up up again.

Got a script for some meds and will go back next week for a cortisone injection. He recommends a good 24 hours afterwards with minimal activity,,,,,,yeah, that's gonna have to wait till next week.

Gotta get this under control as I'm not a candidate for a replacement anytime soon. He said the 3 factors that that have the most in common with failed knee replacements are youthful age, active lifestyle, and being big.

I'm still 30-something, have 3 little kids and like to shoot and such, and I'm 6'3" and built like a D-lineman. Guess, I need to work on getting down to at least being built more like a Linebacker as I can't change my birthdate and I don't have any plans on slowing down.

Said an offloading/unloading brace probably wouldn't help as much right now as my knee is still stable, said a sleeve to generate some pressure on the joint may help with with some relief.

With that said, I'm still looking to understand what helps with the pain and mobility.

I'm following this with much interest... Advil is my friend, general stretching and mobility exercises have helped keep the rest of me limber enough. (don't want back pain to compound all of this!)

I'm still 30-something, have 3 little kids and like to shoot and such, and I'm 6'3" and built like a D-lineman. Guess, I need to work on getting down to at least being built more like a Linebacker as I can't change my birthdate and I don't have any plans on slowing down.

I think you know what you have to do.

I also suffer from a bad knee. I hurt it during a motorcycle accident 7 years ago. The damage suffered during the accident was extensive and one of the after effects is severe osteo-athritis. Being a competitive bodybuilder helps to keep the supporting muscles strong and by keeping relatively lean year round, and training correctly, also takes some of the strain of the knee.

I recently had a bad fall and the bad knee took the brunt of it. The damage sustained forced me back to the Ortho who rebuild the knee after the m/c accident.

He gave me 3 shots of a product called "SUPLASYN". The product is intended to rebuild cartilage and slow down the effects of the arthritis. I am no doctor and this is the way he explained it to me. It was injected straight into the knee and has been a tremendous help. The knee hasnt felt as good in years! I can certainly recommend it.

I also use a MSM/Glucosamine Sulphate supplement daily. It does seem to help as well.

I also asked about wearing a knee brace and was given the same advice. The doc would really prefer to have me stop shooting as he says the sudden stops and starts combined with the sudden direction changes is causing a lot of damage. That will however not be happening anytime soon. I love this game way too much!

What I have found to work well for me is to wear a soft neoprene knee brace whenever I am at the range. It seems to keep the knee "warm" and helps with the blood supply to the joint(?). It also serves as a little reminder to take it a little easier on the knee if at all possible :rolleyes:

After the match I will elevate and ice the knee.

My ortho also warned against ANY cortisone injections to the knee as I have extensive ligament damage which could be aggravated by the cortizone.

Please note that I am no doctor or physician and the advice given is what was relayed to me and what works for ME!

I think you know what you have to do.

Yeah,,,working on the weight. I'm down about 25 lbs from my all time high, so it is coming off slowly.

However,,,,,the meds my Dr. wrote the script for is Diclofenac. WOW....after 2 days taking this stuff, my knee hasn't felt this good in probably nearly 2 years. Right now I have no pain, and yesterday I did two things that would normally haven't me hurting for days and that was A.) driving a lot, I drove nearly 5 hours all together yesterday between Central, Kentucky and Eastern, Kentucky. B.) I was on my feet for probably 7 or 8 hours as well. Usually, I'd be miserable after a day of doing that.

It seems to have really knocked down the inflammation. I already had to postpone the injection, if it keeps feeling like this, I may cancel it. I don't want to waste those, I know you can't do them very often.

I also suffer from a bad knee. I hurt it during a motorcycle accident 7 years ago. The damage suffered during the accident was extensive and one of the after effects is severe osteo-athritis. Being a competitive bodybuilder helps to keep the supporting muscles strong and by keeping relatively lean year round, and training correctly, also takes some of the strain of the knee.

I recently had a bad fall and the bad knee took the brunt of it. The damage sustained forced me back to the Ortho who rebuild the knee after the m/c accident.

He gave me 3 shots of a product called "SUPLASYN". The product is intended to rebuild cartilage and slow down the effects of the arthritis. I am no doctor and this is the way he explained it to me. It was injected straight into the knee and has been a tremendous help. The knee hasnt felt as good in years! I can certainly recommend it.

I also use a MSM/Glucosamine Sulphate supplement daily. It does seem to help as well.

I also asked about wearing a knee brace and was given the same advice. The doc would really prefer to have me stop shooting as he says the sudden stops and starts combined with the sudden direction changes is causing a lot of damage. That will however not be happening anytime soon. I love this game way too much!

What I have found to work well for me is to wear a soft neoprene knee brace whenever I am at the range. It seems to keep the knee "warm" and helps with the blood supply to the joint(?). It also serves as a little reminder to take it a little easier on the knee if at all possible :rolleyes:

After the match I will elevate and ice the knee.

My ortho also warned against ANY cortisone injections to the knee as I have extensive ligament damage which could be aggravated by the cortizone.

Please note that I am no doctor or physician and the advice given is what was relayed to me and what works for ME!

Thanks much..I'll keep those injections in mind. I'm just stunned how well the meds I just mentioned are working. (I think we posted within a couple minutes of each other earlier).

Hopefully, the Diclofenac will continue to keep the inflamation down and I'm going to start looking for a good sleeve, gonna be interesting find one that'll fit, I've had trouble in the past finding them big enough, I guess I"ll have to check around at some of the medical equipment supply places. Everytime I've tried on from a pharmacy, they're never big enough. I know they need to be tight, but, these have always been WAY too tight.

My right knee has been bad for many years now. I am trying to put off a replacement as long as possible, but it gets more difficult to delay each year. The current "knee replacement delay" program I am following is:

• Drop weight.
  • Work out. Only low impact exercises on the knees. NO RUNNING.
  • Hyalgan (sodioum hyaluronate) injections every 6 months. This regiment does seem to work.
  • Glucosomine + MSM every day
  • Wear a brace when doing anything athletic (anything other than walking). I use a knee skin from bioskin.

My right knee has been bad for many years now. I am trying to put off a replacement as long as possible, but it gets more difficult to delay each year. The current "knee replacement delay" program I am following is:

• Drop weight.
  • Hyalgan (sodioum hyaluronate) injections every 6 months. This regiment does seem to work.
  • Wear a brace when doing anything athletic (anything other than walking). I use a knee skin from bioskin.

Thank you.

I think I'm going to start getting up early to do some cycling. I got the same directive from my Ortho.......no running.

• Drop weight.

Thank you.

I think I'm going to start getting up early to do some cycling. I got the same directive from my Ortho.......no running.

I feel you, I'm in the same boat. 27 with my knee scoped three times. One forum member here recommended Denovo injections. My insurance won't cover it though.

I use liquid aleve, stretch, and cycle. Cycling has done a tremendous amount of strengthening for my knee that I haven't seen with years in the gym.

Good luck!

I'm going to follow this topic as my knees are not great either. Runs in the family. Any stage that has kneeling hurts, and if it requires getting back up and going again, well, it hurts much more worse! And, like others, long periods of driving or standing are no fun at all. Or it could be old age creeping up. :o

I'm going to follow this topic as my knees are not great either. Runs in the family. Any stage that has kneeling hurts, and if it requires getting back up and going again, well, it hurts much more worse! And, like others, long periods of driving or standing are no fun at all. Or it could be old age creeping up. :o

For me, Diclofenac (generic for Voltaren) has been a miracle drug. Actually, I need to call the ortho and cancel my apt for the cortisone injection. My knee hasn't felt this good in years and it only took about 2 days for it to really kick in.

I am a PA with 35 yrs Ortho experience. David has it right. Drop weight, No impact loading; cycling for some, eliptical, walking on level surface (track). Avoid hills, steps, squatting and knee extension exercise, especially if you have patellar arthritis. NSAIDS if you don't have history of ulcers, aspirin sensitivity, and not on blood thinners. Periodic cortisone, every 3 months as needed is standard. If your knee is worn out you are not going to hurt anything, if otherwise medically safe. Glucosamine helps with some people, but it works better during your younger athletic years before you have so much catching up to do IMO. The hyaluronic acids (synvisc, etc.) do offer some benefit to some people. In my experience it works better in the younger patients (40s-50s). Unloader braces can help some, especially if the arthritis is primarily on one side of the knee. In special circumstances, a uni-compartmental replacement works well in those cases. Much less surgery and rehab and this can buy you a few years before converting to a full replacement. Make sure your surgeon has vast experience in this. Unfortunately arthritis is a permanent situation. Treatment is to manage your symptoms, not cure it. Overall, if your knee is your focus of the day total joint replacement is a great option and should last 20+ years. By that time something better will be available. IMO there are a lot of Ortho docs that do only joint replacement, and if it is my knee I would travel to see one of them...especially important if you are a younger patient.

Edited by chancesR

For me, Diclofenac (generic for Voltaren) has been a miracle drug. Actually, I need to call the ortho and cancel my apt for the cortisone injection. My knee hasn't felt this good in years and it only took about 2 days for it to really kick in.

I had my right knee replaced 5 years ago. While it is better now than prior to the replacement, don't let anyone fool you into believing that a replacement will leave you with a 'new' knee. It will not.

I compete weekly (am 63) and as long as I do my PT exercises 3 times a week, I can do anything but run. Basically, losing weight is one of the best things you can do -- gravity, etc.

Instead of a compression sleeve, I suggest a compression stocking -- it breathes better in warm weather -- and you can sleep in it if the pain is severe.

I also take Diclofenac. It is a great drug for arthritis pain. If it stops working and you can make it to Canada, pick up some Bextra. While it is no longer available in the U.S. due to liability issues, it is available anywhere outside the U.S. It was a real life save for me, since I have arthritis in multiple areas of my body.

Staying fit, eating right, losing weight all work. Swimming is excellent. Stretch every day and find a really good PT person to show you how to exercise.

Stay away from weight machines. They will only make the problem worse. A good PT person can show you simple exercises to strengthen your joints at home without machines.

I have knee pain as well and I’m 54 years old and had 3 knee surgeries (motocross). Out of desperation I tried SYNVISC shots in my knees. I had great results the first go around which lasted about 8 months. I was able to do light trial running and I did a lot of rough country hunting that year. After the knee pain started coming back I had another course of the shots and have been doing really well and that’s been 2 years ago. I also have only ridden my motocross bike twice in the last year ….Hmmm …could be a connection.

• 4 months later...

I am 62 and have been living with knee problems since college. Damaged my left knee playing baseball. Back then they drained the knee shot it full of cortisone taped you up and you were back at practice/playing the next day. To make matters worse I was a golf professional for 25 years and the constant twisting and turning also took it's toll onn my right knee as well. To top that off I have hereditary neuropathy (not diabetes related) in both legs and feet. I still shoot and really enjoy it but I can't run anymore. A jog is as good as it gets now. I will not have replacement surgery done.

I currently take the following for the neuropathy and it takes care of the knee pain most of the time: 800 mg Gabepentin 4 times daily, 60 mg Cymbalta 1 daily (Cynbalta is an antidepressant that is excellent for chronic pain) and 8mg SL Buprenorphine 3 times daily. The Buprenorphine is a narcotic pain reliever, the pills are dissolved under the tounge and taste terrible. I am very lucky that the meds do not cause any problem with my equilibrium as this can be a side effect of the pain med. I also wear a knee brace on my left knee all of the time and on my right knee if it is bothering me. I should wear the brace on both knees all of the time.

I got out and shot the Indiana State SS/Prod/Rev match. Great match by the way.

If any of you were there, you may have seen me hobbling around with a cane. I hated using it, but I have no doubt it let me finish the day shooting/standing.

I need to get back into the doc (appt tomorrow), I think I've torn my meniscus,,,again. NOT at the range mind you. At, church a few weeks ago.....was trying to step around one of my daughters and caught my foot/tripped on a seat leg and twisted the foot/knee outward (same twisting motion and same burning pain as last time). The pain settled down fairly quickly. But, ever since with just a little extra walking/running with shooting it stiffens back up, gets that full/pressure feeling, crunches, clicks and pops and generally feels like a toothache in the middle of my leg, just like before.

I've dropped about 40 lbs which seems to be helping, but this is miserable. The pain sucks and the lack of mobility is just killing me on the range in matches. I may just have to resign myself to the fact that USPSA is going to be more recreational than competitive in my future. I may have to take up Steel, or pin shooting to feed my competitive desires, at least it is a little more stationary.

I am not looking forward to this round of Dr. appts.....

Let's see, I've had both knees scoped twice. Last a year ago. At that time Doc told me my next appt would be for new knees. I do use an Amazon bought neoprene knee sleeve on each knee, with Velcro straps to make it tight. Generally on long days on my feet.

I have a worn out back, and have good meds for pain & inflammation. They also help out the knees too.

Trying to loose weight and put off new knees as long as I can.

• 5 weeks later...

Update....

No more meniscus tears for now. Did have a bone bruise, so I guess I need to start taking it a little slower/easier on the knees till I get some more weight off me. I've dropped 42 lbs from my all time high. Next milestones are 60 lbs down,,,,,that'll put me under 300 and another 58 down to get to 100 lbs lost. Slow and steady has been the key. 42 lbs over about 18 months. Looking forward to getting a bit more weight off me, getting the inflammation under control and getting some more exercise.

Had my first cortisone injection today,,,,it SUCKED. They numbed the skin to help with the stick, but I guess there was a lot of inflammation and swelling internally and that just hurt like heck. So far, it feels a little sore/stiff and what feels like a little extra pressure. We'll see.

• 3 years later...

Even though this is an old topic, it's encouraging.  I'm having some knee problems myself, and go to the ortho this month.  Thanks for posting.  Sounds like this problem is manageable.  Perhaps when I see the doctor I should carry bring my major match schedule for next year...     I like to go to the range on the weekend and do a long hard practice, then I crawl around (with knee pads) for about 30 minutes picking up brass.  Not sure what's worse, the practice or the brass. 

You mean I'm not alone in the "hobble-along" gang?

My knees are chronically inflamed, but my hips..... oh owww. one surgery done, next stop is replacement. :(  never heard of "suplasyn".  Any update on it?