Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do you use for brass polish?

I bought a bottle of the Dillon polish with my new setup but when I put some in my first batch last night it kinda reminded me of Brasso, which is a lot cheaper. can you use something like that for polishing brass in the case cleaner?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used Dillon, Lymon and Frankford Arsenal. Recently have been mostly Frankford Arsenal due to its fresh citrus smell (sarcasm). They seem to all be about the same from my experience. I just stick some Frankford Arsenal on a Midway USA order to cut down on shipping costs.

Forgot to mention brasso. I know some people use it, it does contain ammonia, which supposedly harms brass over time. The tumbler solution you buy does not contain ammonia. Real problem, or a reason for 200% markup??? Anyway, brasso doesn't have that fresh citrus smell.

Here's a link where a brasso user thinks he is seeing split brass in long term stored ammo.

Brasso User

Edited by Cotys

^^^^

What JDphotoguy said.

I like the dillon polish a lot but it is a little pricey. Been using a big bottle of the frankford arsenal stuff lately, but I really don't like smell or the way it clumps the walnut media together. Looking forward to using it all up so it is gone.

The NuFinish with a little mineral spirits works great, has no side effects, and is the most cost effective polish mix I've found.

Cool, I have lots of mineral spirits around because of my custom woodshop business ... best of all it's a business expense!

What's your ratio of mineral spirits to NuFinish?

I add about an ounce or so of NuFinish car polish and low order mineral spirits to my tumbler and it does a great job of cleaning and polishing. Both are cheap and easy to find.

+1 CHEAP and works great

I enough mineral spirits to just thin the NuFinish out so it doesnt clump to bad in the media. I also let it run in the tumbler for about 10 mins and get mixed up before I add the brass.

Edited by Pigdawg

I add about an ounce or so of NuFinish car polish and low order mineral spirits to my tumbler and it does a great job of cleaning and polishing. Both are cheap and easy to find.

+1 CHEAP and works great

I enough mineral spirits to just thin the NuFinish out so it doesnt clump to bad in the media. I also let it run in the tumbler for about 10 mins and get mixed up before I add the brass.

+1

That's exactly the process I use.

Brasso used to be good, now the formula has been changed and it doesn't seem to do much of anything.

I use Nu-Finish also, just use it straight and run the tumbler without any brass until the clumps break up. Use a little rubbing alcohol when the container is empty, shake real well, and it will get some more off the container walls.

This evening was over at BJ's (like costco) and saw they had a three dollar off special for two-pak 20oz. bottles (40oz total) of NuFinish for 12 bones. I got two of the two-paks. My wonderfully sweet wife kindly asked what I was going to do with that much wax, and...thinking fast...told her I needed to wax the boat. I don't think I fooled her though as our boat isn't all that big. :rolleyes:

Anyway, that is a good price for NuFinish if you have a BJ's nearby.

I'm using powdered red polishing rouge with a cap full of mineral spirits. Nothing else I've tried gets the brass as shiney. If you try it you won't go back.

Agree on the steel pin tumbling, after that, we tumble in walnut to dry the cases and then in corncob with Nu-Finish. Looks real slick and doesn't take a whole lot more time or effort. Time is for loading/unloading everything, not actual running time for the equipment. Unless, of course, you like watching things go around or vibrate !! :rolleyes:

Does Walmart sell NuFinish?

Yes. I've seen Nu Finish @ most of the larger discount department stores as well as auto parts stores. My last bottle at Wal-mart ran about $7.50 for a 16 oz. bottle, I believe. For my walnut media I also use Zilla Ground Walnut Reptile Bedding. It's ground very small and works great on brass with smaller necks like .223. I tumbled 400 rounds of .223 yesterday and after dumping the brass, I had not a single piece with media stuck in it.

It's not going to make reloading cheap, but it definitely saves a few pennies and works just as well, IMO, as buying the 'reloading specific' materials.

Does Walmart sell NuFinish?

They sure do.

Frankly, all I have ever used is Lyman's treated corn cob media and maybe a dash of their rejuvenator after using a batch for 6 months. Should probably change the media more than once a year but it still seems to work.

But with all this talk I did pick up a bottle of Flitz at Cabella's so I will have to give that a try.

Hi bradhe -

Don't want to make the thread drift too far off the OP's question. I started using SS media in a tumbler about a year ago and got spectacular results initially. Using 5 lbs. pins, 1/2 gallon water, tablespoon Dawn dish soap, and varying amounts of crystal LemiShine (1/8 to 1/2 teaspoon). I had 45 ACP range pick up brass quite tarnished come out looking near new. Now tumbling 38 Special - they come out clean - but shiny? - not really.

What are you mixing with your SS media? I am trying to replicate my first batches of brass with not much luck.

Any tips appreciated.

OVW

We use vinegar with water, one quart of 5% vinegar to 3 quarts of water and a good shot of Dawn dishwashing liquid. After seperating the cases and pins, shake back and forth in an old towel to get the bulk of the water off and then tumble in walnut for 20 or 30 minutes to get completely dry and then in corncob with Nu-Finish for 30 minutes or so for the final polish. Sounds like a lot of time and effort involved - but it really doesn't take long for the loading and unloading process. The cases are deprimed and sized before the above, of course.