Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What time do you record?

Flexmoney

When I am the timer RO, I always call out the time one digit at a time to eliminate this kind of issue. 20.36 would sound like, "Two, Zero, Three, Six". Then wait for the Clip Board RO to read it back to me for confirmation calling it back in the same one digit at a time format.

+1

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Will_M. 20.36 is what I would write down.

That is also why I call out time as two zero three six. Eliminates all confusion.

And based on that we could write down:

Still confusing.....

Only if you're Alanis Morissette.

("I have no concept of time, other than it is flying.")

Question: how do y'all say this: "$23.06"?

"Twenty-three oh six."

Or since I'm especially anal, I might say "twenty-three dollars and six cents."

With the first, I have no idea you're talking about money. With the second I do.

Would you ever think if I said "twenty three six" that I meant "$23.60"?

My point is: I still don't understand how in a game where we always record to a hundredth of a second, people here are recording "six" as sixty-hundredths of a second. Sure, there'd be no ambiguity if I said "twenty thirty six", but I simply don't see how there's any way it could be confused for ".60" given the context of our game (per Rule 9.2.2.1).

This is how I have always done it. I tend to call out the score using, two zero three six. Then expect to hear it read back as twenty thirty six. I also present the timer to the CBRO while clearing the shooter and after I memorized the time. When I am the CBRO I write the time down when shown to me immediately after the shooter stops shooting. Then I wait for the RO to give me the time verbally. If it matches what I have I repeat it back as mentioned above. If it is not a match I get it cleared up right then and there with the RO. One thing that does throw me off my rhythm is for the CBRO to read me the time from the timer while I am clearing the shooter. The CBRO needs to yield to the RO and wait for input.

Sometimes the RO and the CBRO need to be careful not to call out the time immediately:

8.6.4 In the event that inadvertent contact from the Range Officer or another external influence has interfered with the competitor during a course of fire, the Range Officer may offer the competitor a reshoot of the course of fire. The competitor must accept or decline the offer prior to seeing either the time or the score from the initial attempt.

Although, the rule says "seeing", I presume that you wouldn't want the shooter to also "hear" the time or score. By calling out the time immediately, the choice is taken away from the shooter.

This is how I have always done it. I tend to call out the score using, two zero three six. Then expect to hear it read back as twenty thirty six. I also present the timer to the CBRO while clearing the shooter and after I memorized the time. When I am the CBRO I write the time down when shown to me immediately after the shooter stops shooting. Then I wait for the RO to give me the time verbally. If it matches what I have I repeat it back as mentioned above. If it is not a match I get it cleared up right then and there with the RO. One thing that does throw me off my rhythm is for the CBRO to read me the time from the timer while I am clearing the shooter. The CBRO needs to yield to the RO and wait for input.

Sometimes the RO and the CBRO need to be careful not to call out the time immediately:

8.6.4 In the event that inadvertent contact from the Range Officer or another external influence has interfered with the competitor during a course of fire, the Range Officer may offer the competitor a reshoot of the course of fire. The competitor must accept or decline the offer prior to seeing either the time or the score from the initial attempt.

Although, the rule says "seeing", I presume that you wouldn't want the shooter to also "hear" the time or score. By calling out the time immediately, the choice is taken away from the shooter.

The choice is offered by the RO. If contact occurs, at the end of the run... "IYAFULSC", "ICHDH", "RIC". Ok - before we look at the score, we made contact back there. Would you like a reshoot..."No" ok. Time two zero point three six.

The choice is offered by the RO. If contact occurs, at the end of the run... "IYAFULSC", "ICHDH", "RIC". Ok - before we look at the score, we made contact back there. Would you like a reshoot..."No" ok. Time two zero point three six.

I'm sorry, I only posted the above because I read the text I've highlighted in GREEN. This forum has taught me that a sequence of sentences (with or without the use of the word "then") implied a chronological order. With the text highlighted above, it leaves the impression the that time is called out before "IYAFULSC", "ICHDH", "RIC". Thank you for clarifying Ken.

Sorry for being so Black & White. :lol:

This is the very reason why the person running the clipboard should repeat back everything the RO is calling out during scoring and both ROs should call out times as two zero point three six.

Would that really make a difference in this case? The timer RO would hear back exactly what he/she just said, right? So, he/she would be happy that is was recorded right.

?

No. When I run clipboard I tend to change the structure of how I repeat things back to the RO to get them to think a second about what is being read back to them. For example. I always state the time such as :

Range is clear. Time : one four point three six. If I hear that I'll say back fourteen point thirty six.

When it sounds like what they said if its close their brain might not catch the difference. If you say it back completely different their mind has to kick in a second and think about the translation. This has helped catch numerous transposition errors

That's a smart thing to do. Gonna incorporate that. :cheers:

Yeah, one of the other RO's here also does things that way. Not only just with the time, but also with the scores. I think I should adapt the general concept:

RO: "Two Alpha"

CBRO: "Two Aye"

RO: "Alpha" - "Charlie"

CBRO: "Aye" - "See"

:

I just don't remember what he does with the 'B' to distinguish them from the 'C' when I call them out. It does help me confirm that he heard what I called out.

Yeah, one of the other RO's here also does things that way. Not only just with the time, but also with the scores. I think I should adapt the general concept:

RO: "Two Alpha"

CBRO: "Two Aye"

RO: "Alpha" - "Charlie"

CBRO: "Aye" - "See"

:

I just don't remember what he does with the 'B' to distinguish them from the 'C' when I call them out. It does help me confirm that he heard what I called out.

I do the same:

2 A = "Two"

A C= "Aye Cee"

C D = "Cee Dee"

All the rest I call out as read. These are by far the most common. It chops down 2 syllables out of the read back, is easily distinguishable from the other calls to speeds things up.

I very rarely call out the time...I'm showing the timer display to the guy on the clipboard by pointing it backwards and at a slight upward angle as I'm having the shooter "Unload And Show Clear." Easy to do with the PACT Club Timers we use, not sure how I'd hold it with other timers where the readout is on the face.

Edited by gino_aki

I very rarely call out the time...I'm showing the timer display to the guy on the clipboard by pointing it backwards and at a slight upward angle as I'm having the shooter "Unload And Show Clear." Easy to do with the PACT Club Timers we use, not sure how I'd hold it with other timers where the readout is on the face.

You should always read out the time, and so should the score keeper. Gives the shooter a chance to hear the time and validate the score keeper heard it correctly and wrote it down correctly when he's validating the score sheet prior to signing.

Edited by aztecdriver

It's a multi-step process for me: see the timer ASAP after the last shot is fired, watching for flying brass that may have hit it just before the TRO points it back over his shoulder as he's looking at the gun, and hold that time in mind while ULSC is done. Wait for the RO to say it out loud. Repeat it back as I'm writing it down.

With the earmuffs, we will always get mor confidence with our eyes than our ears, so we always check the time on the timer to confirm the RO call. When it's writed on scoresheet, we touch the RO shoulder and say OK.

While our sport requires and individual effort on the part of the competitor, the job of the officials is - by nature - a TEAM event. Learn to communicate* ... All this takes place OFF the clock and at no expense to the competitor - unless you get it wrong!

*Communication is by definition a TWO WAY process!

Question: how do y'all say this: "$23.06"?

"Twenty-three oh six."

Or since I'm especially anal, I might say "twenty-three dollars and six cents."

With the first, I have no idea you're talking about money. With the second I do.

Would you ever think if I said "twenty three six" that I meant "$23.60"?

My point is: I still don't understand how in a game where we always record to a hundredth of a second, people here are recording "six" as sixty-hundredths of a second. Sure, there'd be no ambiguity if I said "twenty thirty six", but I simply don't see how there's any way it could be confused for ".60" given the context of our game (per Rule 9.2.2.1).

Because in other games that record to the hundredth, "six" means .60.

Some of us were competitive long before we found USPSA. ;)

Because in other games that record to the hundredth, "six" means .60.

Yes, let's drop context.

I know what a "four nine forty" is (and feels like), but I wouldn't expect to be talking about that after a shooter has just finished shooting a stage.