Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Gun Choices

MattYvip

I'm running a Camerons Custom 6" for Limited

Sounds like you are leaning towards a custom open gun.

I bought two TruBor's - $2,700 each - Bought 1 TruBor from Brazos -

highly recommend their TruBor.

excuse my ignorance... but do you have 3 trubors?

Canuk, sorry - pretty poorly worded.

I purchased a total of two TruBors - one of them from Brazos

(I won't mention who the other was - both were "customized"

by the people I bought them from -

Of the two, I've had trouble for four years with the other

TruBor. No problems with the one from Brazos. Recommend

if you're going to buy a TruBor, have it worked over by

Brazos - they're good. Easy to work with.

They won't lighten the slide - said it's already light enough.

I had someone else lighten the other slide, and don't see any

difference between the heavier and lighter slides:(

But the Brazos gun works very well, with the right mags/ammo.

Thanks for all the imput Gents, You've given me alot to think about. I'm extremely happy running limited but I've just always wanted to try open. But knowing my addictive personality I have a feeling I'd start shooting it alot... Thanks again guys. I knew I'd get alot of good info here!

6" ooohh my that's too big, no wonder you got problems, I would be tempted to swap a good running open gun for that problematic limited gun. :devil: Now the hard part would be to figure out which one of the girls to give up.

haha I love my camerons... I think I have a gun buying problem or at least my wife thinks I do

One thing on the plus side of going with a Trubor is that it's a very known gun, and if you have one that runs selling it should be fairly easy if/when you decide you want something different. I think I would be tempted to buy one from someone like Shooters Connection. If it runs you're good to go. If it has a few glitches have a competent gunsmith address them.

Getting a gun built by a well known gunsmith is also a known gun for resale purposes, but you may not know what it is exactly you want right away, and unlike a Trubor there is often a wait time. I don't have a great deal of experience, but I don't see a lot of downside to just buying a Trubor.

Dont overlook the polymer guns. Back in the day, I would have never said that, but the things gunsmiths are doing to these guns now are incredible. Had my hands on a Glock the other day and the trigger felt almost exactly the same as a high end 2011. I was shocked and very impressed at the same time.

Dont overlook the polymer guns. Back in the day, I would have never said that, but the things gunsmiths are doing to these guns now are incredible. Had my hands on a Glock the other day and the trigger felt almost exactly the same as a high end 2011. I was shocked and very impressed at the same time.

My son just shot his first SC match today with his open XDm and really rocked it. The trigger may never get quite to a good 1911/2011 level, but they can be made very, very good.

I really wish someone would come out with another double stack alternative to the 2011's. I have a 2011 and really enjoy it, but there are currently some viable alternatives, and I do really hope someone else will introduce something new.

Glock or XDm are certainly two ways to go. My son didn't have a single hiccup of any kind with his XDm today.

I was asking a pro shooter about a few used Open guns and he was very cautious in recommending any gun without a super full disclosure on condition/round count and how well they run. His concern was temperamental guns that might only run 100% with some long developed hand load the owner had come up with. Kinda harsh as I believe most here sell thing in good conscious but a gun the doesn't run is either no fun or heading to a 'smith.

I bought an old Open gun here last spring. The owner had it as a back up gun and had not shot it, I knew I was rolling the dice. Turned out not to run and is now sitting at a gunsmiths bench. The guy I bought it from was totally stand up about it and felt badly but I saw the risk as mine and have nothing but good karma for him.

Moral of story: If you buy used make sure it runs 100% and on more then one pet load.

i had a brazos, ran great, didnt like the popple holes, very reliable, digested everything. I have an svi that is as reliable as a glock. Feeds everytime and been beat to death. I also have an open gun built at barsto that is just incredible. I had steve moore in denver go through them and work his magic and will never get rid of either gun. They are just incredibly reliable and accurate. My barsto was a little to heavy and steve lightened it and the balance is perfect now.

• 2 weeks later...

Gents,

Sorry if this has been posted or asked before, I searched (yes I even used the search function) though I may have missed it. I'm looking to get into an open gun for next season (happily sucking at limited for this one). My question is fairly simple... Do I pick up a trubor or a matchmaster or do I spend the extra dough and go right for a Camerons Customs or a Bedell or _________ (<-- insert favorite gunsmiths name here)? Also what are ya'lls opnions on buying a used gun? Any advice is welcome and appreciated.

have'nt shot a lot lately, what do you guys think about Limcat custom . a custom built gun by johnny

Gents,

Sorry if this has been posted or asked before, I searched (yes I even used the search function) though I may have missed it. I'm looking to get into an open gun for next season (happily sucking at limited for this one). My question is fairly simple... Do I pick up a trubor or a matchmaster or do I spend the extra dough and go right for a Camerons Customs or a Bedell or _________ (<-- insert favorite gunsmiths name here)? Also what are ya'lls opnions on buying a used gun? Any advice is welcome and appreciated.

have'nt shot a lot lately, what do you guys think about Limcat custom . a custom built gun by johnny

Great guns, shoot great and he stands behind his products. A guy I shoot with had an issue, ten days later he had his gun back with a new top end. You can't beat service that.

Said it before, will say it again.

Gan's, no if's, ands, or buts.

Fast turn around. Very good prices. Guns just run and run.

Buy all parts from Brownells (Gan's website will tell you every part he recommends). Send them to Mr. Natale and in short order you are going to have a custom masterpiece that just runs). All for a price that will make you smack your forehead in wonder!!

26b83f2b.jpg

Edited by Chris iliff

Sent a Trubore 9mm to Dan Bedell. After Dan worked on this open gun it was unbelievable.It ran and ran and never jammed

The trigger job was the best I have ever shot. We even shot regular 9mm ammo and it still did not jam. After that it was hard chromed by Metaloy and it still did not jam.

Gary Natale of Gans is by far the best smith around with the best turn around times.

I say this because he is a true connoisseur when it comes to understanding what works best. He is very versatile and flexible. Gary can use a wide variety of parts and make them work perfectly in just about any platform.

Rob

Edited by PINMAN44

I picked up a (barely) used backup Dawson Signature Series at a fabulous price, and though the design is far from cutting edge, it just flat runs.

Having put the first 1k through it this week, I realize that coming from another Division, I have no blinking clue as to what I would want in a personal build. With so much technique to get used to, spending a ton on a gun with no idea as to what my "style" could be would have been a huge waste more than likely.

Akaicustomguns.com. He has a few open guns ready for purchase. I have two of the shogun open guns they are the flattest open guns I have ever shot. Great guns and awesome customer service.

I have heard from many open shooters the breach face will get eaten away so I thought the smart thing to do is buy a Infinity slide with replacable breach faces. I'm at $1200 (Slide, barrel, barrel fit, Comp and slide cuts). I know spendy but I will only be able to do this once. Will have the rest of the gun built by a different smith.

I wanted to try open and found a used setup here in 38 super that just runs for 1650 delivered. It included belt, pouches, 4 mags, holster, dies, brass, everything. I put 14k rounds through it with only a handful of problems. It was sorta ugly, but I made B with it and took in to Nats last fall. Right before Nats I paid just under 2k for a backup gun that shoots and looks better and has now been promoted to my primary.

I still don't know what I want in a custom build yet, but once I do I will dump one of these and take the plunge.

My point is that if you wait and watch something will come up eventually at a "give it a try price".

Cheers,

Allen

• 4 weeks later...