Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any advantage to Production over Limited?

I'm just getting into competative shooting and had pretty well decided to start with production. ErichF gave me some great advise and suggested starting with limited instead. After reading up, I can't see any reason not to start with limited. Any input???

Edited by Shadow1

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheaper ammo, more competitive equipment right out of the gate.

I should have posted this as well. I am planning on shooting my XDm 5.25 in 9mm. Already have the rig and mags. it seems to be able to load even the factory mags to capacity and still shoot reloaded 9's is a no brainer. I'm sure at some point I'll be building an open pistol but not at this time.

Cheaper ammo, more competitive equipment right out of the gate.

I should have posted this as well. I am planning on shooting my XDm 5.25 in 9mm. Already have the rig and mags. it seems to be able to load even the factory mags to capacity and still shoot reloaded 9's is a no brainer. I'm sure at some point I'll be building an open pistol but not at this time.

Should be a great platform for what you're going to shoot. As far as the factory mags and capacity (and I might be misunderstanding), but you can only start the stage with 10 rounds in the mag with one in the chamber.

I think it's a good plan for a new shooter to shoot a gun like the XDm with mags loaded to full capacity in Limited. You can focus on other aspects of the game like movement and muzzle control first before worrying about stage strategy associated with low cap divisions.

After you have a few matches under your belt, you will most likely want to transition to Production where your XDm in 9mm would be more competitive. (i.e., not shooting against guys with their custom guns specially built for Limited Division)

Edited by Wideload

if you don't have 5 or more mags, shoot limited. otherwise, personally, i would and do shoot production.

in limited you're going to have slightly less mag capacity than the "best" in division guns. AND you're going to be scoring minor.

in production, you have arguably one of the best guns in the division. that being 9mm and 5.25 inches of sight radius.

in other words, i feel you're equipmentally disadvantaged less in production. having said that, if you're good enough to be competitive in production, you're going to be competitive with the exact same gear in limited, too.

EDIT: if you're talking about just the first few matches, i agree with limited. i was told the same thing, and did it. i quickly found production to be more fun, but that is just preference.

Edited by theycallmeingot

Shooting Production you'll have a competitive gun from the start. also you'll get to practice reloads quite often as capacity is limited to 10 rounds. having a good stage plan is a little more critical in Production as you only have 10+1 rounds in the gun, vs. Limited where you have 20+. accuracy is essential in Production so you'll learn to shoot A's since you're scored minor pf. C/D hits bleed off points real quick.

Shoot Limited the first few matches, but do so by loading your mags to full capacity. Don't invest in anything that wouldn't be legal for Production (holster, mag extensions, etc.) and switch to Production when you're ready.

I started off shooting steel matches. First couple I shot with my 1911 (.45). Steel went flying. When I hit it. Left a lot up, running out of mags/ammo. Switched to an XD (traded a Glock 22 for it), loading the 10-round .40 mags with 15-rounds of 9mm. Much more enjoyable.

Traded the TRP for a Glock 35 and got into USPSA. Went Limited straight away. Stayed there until I found Open.

Haven't shot in 7 years. Will shoot Production to start with while I save up/get the parts together for the Open gun.

I kinda wish I started out in production, at first I was a bit intimidated by the 10 round mags and all the mag changes costing me time. I would be much much better at reloads if I started off that way. Production is fun and more economical.

If a new production shooter shows up without an adequate number of magazines, we suggest they load what they have to capacity and shoot Limited. If they have enough mags, we support them in Production and let them have fun, just have to explain equipment positioning to them so they understand those rules.

I started shooting USPSA 2 yrs ago and started out in Limited with my XDM40 in 4.5". The reason I went to limited is because the matches I started at in the great northwest like to have long stages (up to 60rds) and I only had 5 mags. So, I loaded up all my XDM mags and shot Limited.

Since you are shooting 9mm, I would suggest production so you aren't losing points for minor. If you want to shoot limited, remember you will be shooting minor with 9mm.

I would also suggest seeing if you can borrow/buy a few more mags and pouches to shore up for production and go that route. You have a great production gun, but make sure you can finish stages.

If a new production shooter shows up without an adequate number of magazines, we suggest they load what they have to capacity and shoot Limited. If they have enough mags, we support them in Production and let them have fun, just have to explain equipment positioning to them so they understand those rules.

I've actuallly got 8 magazines. I think that should be fine to get started either way.

Loading to full capacity removes one of the factors that could impact you having a match where your focus is safety while getting used to a new kind of game.

For those that have been doing it a while, we tend to forget how much is going on. Going to a public range, I'm often shocked by how bad (not to mention unsafe) many people's gun handling is, including that of apparent long-time shooters (who tend to be the safety idiots). Stuff that we do on the clock rapidly & without thought is oftentimes painfully deliberate.

I shoot Limited and Single Stack. If I were just starting, I'd shoot the lower capacity for a two reasons:

• Knowing you have fewer rounds to throw down range enforces the accuracy fundamental
  • Having to do (more) reloads enforces the mechanics

I like shooting SSD and I feel that it helps my Limited game but not vice versa. I think a similar analogy could be made for Production vs. Limited.

At this point in your shooting career, I'd suggest that you don't have to make a choice. Shoot both. Beyond a few extra magazines for Production you can use all of the same gear as long as your rig is setup appropriately for each division.

The one thing about production is that everyone has to start with 10+1, so learning how to do mag changes is a good thing and everyone is equal.

I kinda wish I started out in production, at first I was a bit intimidated by the 10 round mags and all the mag changes costing me time. I would be much much better at reloads if I started off that way. Production is fun and more economical.

Plinking at the range and practical shooting are worlds apart.

Making a decision based on what one likes to do is different than making a decision based on what's going to require the lower cognitive load, thereby allowing the new competitor to focus on safety.

Edited by diehli

Plinking at the range and practical shooting are worlds apart.

Making a decision based on what one likes to do is different than making a decision based on what's going to require the lower cognitive load, thereby allowing the new competitor to focus on safety.

in reality, it takes only a handful of matches to get to the point where you can plan a stage, be safe, AND do 4 reloads per stage.

the point is moot, as for these first matches safety should and will be priority one. NOT being competitive. i don't think 2x the reloads make a shooter less safe. it's pretty clear when you run out of bullets. i think the load on your brain factor is at best a little exagerated. :)

Edited by theycallmeingot

I'm not going to to give you advise one way or the other, I'm just going to tell you how I progressed and let you draw your own conclusions.

I started out in Limited and it allowed me to just figure the mechanics of the game without having to put a whole lot into complicated stage management. I had enough to worry about just about just getting used to my equipment and movement in general. I got my mag changes down in dry fire practice under the stress of the par time clock and not in a match. Once I had my limited game together I went to open where I learned about speed. After I had the fundamentals down then I went to Production and learned how to pick a stage apart because of the round limitations. In the end that has made me a better all around shooter. Now I'm back to the beginning all over again with 3-gun.

In the end it doesn't matter what division you shoot or how competitive you are, what matters is you are having fun and learning something new every time you pick up your gear.

Edited by A45100

I shot my first match this weekend and shot SS. Talk about stage planning! That said.... that was one of the more fun things for me. Figuring out how to most effectively shoot 8 at a time.

From here on out I am changing guns and will be shooting an SP-01. I'll most likely shoot Production unless I just feel like changing it up. I'm in no hurry to "be fast" right now, so learning all the basics including mag changes sounds good to me.

Minor Sucks

If you have a gun that has to shoot minor loads, then shoot production. Just my 2 cents

Best advice in this thread... why would you shoot a division that gives you a disadvantage before the buzzer even rings?

You will be going up against guys who will have higher capacity mags, and they will be shooting major pf.

Shoot production.

Mike.