Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel challenge 22 caliber guns

I am looking for the best 22 caliber gun for shooting steel challenge and fun shoot events that allow 22 caliber guns. I have looked at the Volquartsen guns and also have a Ruger Mk III that I could have work done on. I would prefer a local San Antonio gun smith to work on the Ruger. I want to have a red dot sight for sure on it. Any help and recommendations is appreciated.

The Captain

I have the Ruger Mark III 22/45 with the Tactical Solutions upper and Volquartsen trigger. Also purchased a bushing from Sam up in Canada to bypass the magazine disconnect, best $11.00 I could have sent. There's lots of info on rimfirecentral.com I highly suggest it. Good luck

S&W model 41. Absolute best out there.

Model 41 is a great gun, very accurate. Plus if you ever choose or shoot bullseye you'd could use it for that too. Their is nothing better in the price range and they hold their value.

Lots of Rugers and Browning Buckmarks on the range I shoot at. A few M41's thrown in too. One or 2 1911 conversions.

Me? I use an old Hi Standard.

If I were to build a SS gun it would be based on a Ruger MKII.

Edited by mbopp

I shoot a S&W 41. They are superb and can be found reasonably priced. It takes a bit of internet searching.

I recently found a 22/45 lite at my local P&G. They priced it too cheap not to buy ($360 OTD)so I did. It now has the VQ parts in it and is slick and fun. It's no 41 but I can shoot bulk pack ammo, with no worries, and don't feel a need to clean it after every outing.

Dave

I am a big fan of my Beretta 87t. Haven't used it in SC yet, but the gun runs great. Only jams I have had has been due to bad ammo. If I use quality ammo or inspect the cheap stuff (usually bullet is damaged), the gun runs great. Pretty darn accurate also.

I shot the High Standard Victor much better than my S&W 41 but they are verrrrrrry hard to find.

Richard

I'm using a Hamden 5-1/2" Victor, I took the barrel weight off for faster transitions.

I have one of the Al Marvel scope bases for it, I may try a reflex sight on it yet.

The S&W Model 41 right out of the box has a superb trigger, very reliable with SV ammo and is outstandingly accurate. Besides the S&W 41 one can consider the Browning Buckmark, Ruger and the Marvel 22 conversion unit on a 1911 frame.

This has been great information by everyone that has posted. I have been shooting a Kimber 22, not a conversion but a factory made 22, for a couplle of years and love it. I don't see anybody else shooting one that isn't a conversion at the matches. It's set up with a c-more red dot, a flared mag well, oversized mag release and 15 round mags for less mag changes on high round stages. I do have a Ruger Mark lll but find it more cumbersome on mag changes. I use Federal Auto Match which works great and few failure to extracts but they always go bang. I might try CCI Mini Mags to see if I can get it to run 100% as any malfunction costs time. I also love the feel of the gun as it's very similar to my STI Steelmaster that I shoot in IPSC matches. I didn't see anybody talk about the Volquartsen pistols. I know they are expensive but if they run 100% that is a big plus. The only negative I see is the ability to make fast mag changes. We are always looking for a little more advantage when shooting a competition.

The Captain

Edited by The Captain

This has been great information by everyone that has posted. I have been shooting a Kimber 22, not a conversion but a factory made 22, for a couplle of years and love it. I don't see anybody else shooting one that isn't a conversion at the matches. It's set up with a c-more red dot, a flared mag well, oversized mag release and 15 round mags for less mag changes on high round stages. I do have a Ruger Mark lll but find it more cumbersome on mag changes. I use Federal Auto Match which works great and few failure to extracts but they always go bang. I might try CCI Mini Mags to see if I can get it to run 100% as any malfunction costs time. I also love the feel of the gun as it's very similar to my STI Steelmaster that I shoot in IPSC matches. I didn't see anybody talk about the Volquartsen pistols. I know they are expensive but if they run 100% that is a big plus. The only negative I see is the ability to make fast mag changes. We are always looking for a little more advantage when shooting a competition.

The Captain

15 round mags? Must not be Kimber. What are they?

Fast mag changes aren't important in Steel Challenge.

The Captain

15 round mags? Must not be Kimber. What are they?

Fast mag changes aren't important in Steel Challenge.

They are Aurthur Ceiner mags and are much better than the Kimber mags. More reliable on feeding also. On the steel challenge here they always have 1 stage that is big round count just for fun and there is also a 22 only steel match that has 150-200 round count for 5 stages with really small targets of 1 1/2" - 3" size. Takes 3-4 mag changes sometimes. Then there is 2 matches a month that is called fun shoots that has steel and coroplast targets that require mag changes and off hand shooting. My gun runs better that most and is very accurate. Here in San Antonio we are pretty fortunate to be able to shoot year round and have at least 1 match and sometimes 2 matches eacho weekend. There is nothing more aggravating than a gun that won,t run in competition.

Shot a Steel Challenge match today and watched the .22 pistol shooters... It seems like almost every shooter had some kind of jamming problem...

Is it common for .22 pistols (in general) to jam up a lot?

Yes, well at least among conversion pistols that aren't made originally as 22's. Like I said earlier, Ruger 22/45 and SR22s at my local Steel Matches are the most reliable. I saw one SR22 go the whole match without a single malf. Ruger knows 22s.

Shot a Steel Challenge match today and watched the .22 pistol shooters... It seems like almost every shooter had some kind of jamming problem...

Is it common for .22 pistols (in general) to jam up a lot?

22's are dirty ammo and guns chambered for 22's are ammo sensitive. I have a Walther GSP and Pardini SP which have had more than 10,000 rounds each fired without a single malfunction using Wolf MT and SKJagd ammo. The Walther will also digest CCI SV but the Pardini hiccups with it. My original Marvel 22 conversion unit has been totally reliable with the above ammo as well as Aguilla SE SV ammo. I also have a Jarvis and Tactical Solution conversion units for my 1911's and they prefer HV ammo with a distinct preference for CCI Mini Mag. My S&W Model 41 runs perfectly with CCI SV and Aguilla SE SV as well as the two imported brands.