Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP LRP-07 opinions / reviews wanted

mrwhite1

As the title explains I'm wanting some opinions on the LRP-07.

I have a CTR-02 and love the gun....obviously JP makes phenomenal guns and I don't expect anyone to say anything negative about them... I'm really wanting some reviews on accuracy and ammo / bullet weight recommendations. How good do they really shoot?

I have a Springfield M21 Tactical rifle and I love the gun, but here recently I've been debating about selling and ordering a LRP to match my CTR

What do you all think?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As the title explains I'm wanting some opinions on the LRP-07.

I have a CTR-02 and love the gun....obviously JP makes phenomenal guns and I don't expect anyone to say anything negative about them... I'm really wanting some reviews on accuracy and ammo / bullet weight recommendations. How good do they really shoot?

I have a Springfield M21 Tactical rifle and I love the gun, but here recently I've been debating about selling and ordering a LRP to match my CTR

What do you all think?

I am also a CTR-02 owner that is thinking of picking up a PSC-12. Would also like feedback on JP 308's

I have a LRP-07 and it would most likeley replace the m-21 very well if you use optics on the gun. If you would be using the gun with irons, I would stay with the M 1A patterned rifle. As far as load preferences, my JP's all seems to shoot any of he quality bullets equally well.

I have a LRP-07 and it would most likeley replace the m-21 very well if you use optics on the gun. If you would be using the gun with irons, I would stay with the M 1A patterned rifle. As far as load preferences, my JP's all seems to shoot any of he quality bullets equally well.

What kind of accuracy can you get out of it?

The LRP is being used more and more in tactical aplications by police as a sniper rifle. It quality is superb Remington Defense an JP colaborated on a Similar Remington Rifle for Rems military line.

Jay

mrwhite1 our snipers are getting 1/2 inch groups with ours. They love the gun.

Schultz

Hard to argue with that, especially out of a semi-auto 308 platform!

Pretty sure I'm going to order one as soon as I sell my M21

mrwhite1 our snipers are getting 1/2 inch groups with ours. They love the gun.

Schultz

Hard to argue with that, especially out of a semi-auto 308 platform!

Pretty sure I'm going to order one as soon as I sell my M21

When i bought my first JP .308 i began to work up loads using the 135 gr. SMKs. 44.5 grs. of IMR 4895 yielded a .322 (.640 out to out) 5 shot group at 100 yards. hard to beat that!

:cheers:

If you get a 20inch barrel, the overall length of the gun will be about 2 inches longer than the 20inch barreled CTR2, because the receiver is that much longer. You also get that length "advantage" in the sight radius when using iron sights.

jj

If you get a 20inch barrel, the overall length of the gun will be about 2 inches longer than the 20inch barreled CTR2, because the receiver is that much longer. You also get that length "advantage" in the sight radius when using iron sights.

jj

Is it possible to get the smaller brake with the medium contour barrel? I wasn't sure how the diameter of the 308 medium contour would compare to the medium contour 223? I'm assuming the outer diameter is the same since the hand guard is the same diameter.

Brock is back at JP???? :surprise:

Last I heard, he was at Nordic.

Tim

Well that could explain why he hasn't answered my emails... Last I spoke with anyone from JP he is who I talked to... So i just assumed...

Maybe I'll give them a call tomorrow to check about spec'ing one out.

Are there any LE discounts or deals available? Last time I ordered direct but I have a line on a dealer that might be able to get at slightly discounted rate but not sure yet.. Any suggestions?

Edited by mrwhite1

jj

Is it possible to get the smaller brake with the medium contour barrel? I wasn't sure how the diameter of the 308 medium contour would compare to the medium contour 223? I'm assuming the outer diameter is the same since the hand guard is the same diameter.

Brock is back at JP???? :surprise:

Last I heard, he was at Nordic.

Tim

Well that could explain why he hasn't answered my emails... Last I spoke with anyone from JP he is who I talked to... So i just assumed...

Maybe I'll give them a call tomorrow to check about spec'ing one out.

Are there any LE discounts or deals available? Last time I ordered direct but I have a line on a dealer that might be able to get at slightly discounted rate but not sure yet.. Any suggestions?

JP offers the 22 inch in a full contour barrel, they do not offer the medium contour in the 22". here is a pic of my 22" after it has been turned down and comped. Benny Hill did this work.

post-5929-0-73118300-1337123758_thumb.jp

I'm still waiting to hear back from Brock at JP about a quote, but I think I'm going with a 20" barrel (special barrel length) to match my CTR-02

My buddy got one of the early LRPs, when 20" was one of the standard lengths, and it hasnt really impressed that much. My 24" LR308 shoots as good, or better, for less than half the price...

The comment about the gun not being light is a bit odd???? compared to what,.... an AR15!!! Compared to any other AR based 308 my JP is way lighter than any other one I've had, I own or have owned, 6 others from different makers, as well as FAL's and M1A's and the JP is by far the most accurate, 1moa with irons out to 400 routinely, and my 260 LRP has pretty much retired my 300mag TAC rifle for long range matches.

Comparison on weight:

JP LRP 308 20" .750 barrel:<9#

M1A medium wgt barrel 22":9.25#

LaRue OBR 18" .750 barrel: 9.5#

JP LRP 260 22" heavy barrel, yeah its heavy 14#, but its lighter than my 300 win mag at 15.75#

Trapr

Let me as ask you guys this... what are your opinions of the 308 vs 260 Rem?

I had just assumed I'd stick with 308, but it sounds like bigbrowndog has some good experience with the 260.

I hadn't really even considered that route, but I'll keep and open mind... as I said I have zero experience with 260s... Thoughts?

Edited by mrwhite1

I have a .260 JP set up with a Nightforce 3.5-15. Awesome for the bonus targets at Ironman... Shoots a Sierra 123 gr at 2725 with very little recoil. My bolt gun can push 142's faster but the point is the little 123's have so little recoil your follow up shots are so quick you can put several shots on at distance before the wind changes.

One downside. You must handload for the .260. There is no factory match load as far as I know. Also the bolt gun loads are too hot for a gas gun. The gas gun prefers a lighter bullet in .260.

I have shot a .308 version of the LPR07. They work fine too. A little more sight movement but you can buy factory loads.

Carl

The only reason I was considering maybe a 260 was possibly loading up some light bullets so I could use the gun as a varmint rifle... I'm not sure if the twist is setup to handle the lighter bullets though... I appreciate the input

• 4 weeks later...

The only reason I was considering maybe a 260 was possibly loading up some light bullets so I could use the gun as a varmint rifle... I'm not sure if the twist is setup to handle the lighter bullets though... I appreciate the input

I've only shot 142gr SMK's out of mine (easy 1/2 MOA accuracy) but I know John shoots 123's out of his and they do great. He and Clark Henderson won a recent team sniper match I shot. Both shot LRP-07's. John's was a 260 Rem with 123's and Clark's was a 6.5 Creedmore.