Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Not Serving MY Country

BDH

Let me just say that I have nothing other than the utmost respect for our young men and women that serve in our US Military!!! :wub::wub: These 'strangers' serve and sacrifice for ME every day!!!!

That said.... I held an 1HB card for Viet Nam, and at that time, was SOOOO glad my number was NOT called.

However, now I am stuck with a debt that I can not seem to pay. :huh: I would appreciate any advice about debt repayment.....

You can exercise the freedoms they have secured for you. You can speak freely. You can bear arms. You can practice your religion. You can vote. To not do these things makes their sacrifice meaningless.

I am right there with you, and having to deal every day.

There can be no better honor than serving for this great country. It is something I was too cocky to do when I was young, and now to old to remedy.

To all those have served or are serving, I admire your foresight and courage.

It is without question my biggest regret.

JB

You can exercise the freedoms they have secured for you. You can speak freely. You can bear arms. You can practice your religion. You can vote. To not do these things makes their sacrifice meaningless.

Fantastic post!!!

I've struggled with the feeling that my own service was un-worthy compared to those that risk it all for duty. I think short-round has hit the nail on the head...

I'm reminded of the scene from ' Saving Private Ryan '...

Something like,

As the crap is hitting the fan Tom Hanks character tells Private Ryan to make it all worth it. At the end of the movie the elderly Ryan goes to the graves and tells those soldiers that he tried everyday to make thier sacifices worth it.

We salute the flag with respect, but we live to honor those that made this all possible...

As one who did serve... let me reassure you that people like you have no debt to repay...you would have done the same thing myself and hundreds of thousands just like me did....your duty to your country, to your God, to yourself and all the others that for whatever reason did not get the call.

It makes you no less a person, patriot, or God fearing citizen of our Great country that you did not serve...God has another plan for you that did not entail service of that kind.

Live your life honoring the principals that were set forth to us by God himself, and that were defended by those that died and gave their lives so we could enjoy life as we know it today...God asks nothing more of you, veterans like me, ask nothing less...

Twenty years ago I wanted to join the Army. This was something I really wanted to do...maybe make a career out of. They wouldn't take me because I suffered from severe asthma as a kid and I still suffered from it all be it nowhere near as badly as I once did. That was strike #1.

Within the past 5 years or so, I made a serious effort to join the Law Enforcement community. Took the Civil Service tests, finished in the top percentage...trained for the physical exam...earned a Criminal Justice degree...only to be told that because I "suffered" from type 2 Diabetes, I'm not eligible to partake in the physical agility exam. Doesn't matter if the condition is under control or not. Strike #2.

I refuse to give up. I'm determined to contribute somehow. ;)

BDH, I know how you feel. It's bad enough to have the sensation that you owe a debt that needs to be paid. It's worse when you try and pay it...and they won't take your "personal check." :(

Sometimes all it takes to make a difference is to be a good person, a good role model and a good American and never forget that a higher power has something planned for you and when the time is right...he'll let you know. ;)

Tightloop is right, thanks for sharing !

As one who did serve... let me reassure you that people like you have no debt to repay...you would have done the same thing myself and hundreds of thousands just like me did....your duty to your country, to your God, to yourself and all the others that for whatever reason did not get the call.

It makes you no less a person, patriot, or God fearing citizen of our Great country that you did not serve...God has another plan for you that did not entail service of that kind. 

Live your life honoring the principals that were set forth to us by God himself, and that were defended by those that died and gave their lives so we could enjoy life as we know it today...God asks nothing more of you, veterans like me, ask nothing less...

All & Every reply is exellent. Well Said!

I'm pretty much along the lines of TL.

But I will add that while I served in the USN I developed the policy of offering any Nam vet, or certainly any older vet a beverage of their choice and a hearty "Thank you!" for serving your country. Somtimes you hear some amazing stories.

Even if I'm not in a position to offer a drink, I always try to tell all vets and actives "Thanks for serving your country." Sometimes you hear some amazing stories.

It's always appreciated to know that you are appreciated.

Tom Bergman

However, now I am stuck with a debt that I can not seem to pay. :huh: I would appreciate any advice about debt repayment.....

In addition to living your life as a good, responsible American adult as the other suggested, make sure you do a good job raising your kids (if you have any) to do exactly the same. Raising good kids who understand the concept of personal responsibility is something you can't possibly over value. It is essential to our long term survival, at least as much as any military service.

If you simply must "serve" in some capacity, there are a lot of ways:

Charity work ... Habitat for Humanity, Red Cross, etc. all need volunteers.

Volunteer services ... civil defense, reserve police officer duty, volunteer firefighter duty ... etc.

Here's an ideal one ... some organization in your community probably coordinates volunteers to drive vans with veterans to their hospital appointments or just about any other place they need to get when they can't take themselves. Find out who it is (in my town it's the local Red Cross) and volunteer to be a driver.

The motivation of most community volunteers is hard to question. Certainly, without pay, they're not motivated by the dollar. Oh, perhaps there are a small few who get their egos all twisted up in it, but for the most part they seem to take part in their activities out of the sheer decent-ness of their souls... Because they, of all people, perceived the meaning of responsibility. And they ACTED upon it. Talk about being aware! B)

No community volunteer effort is wasted. On the contrary.

I served, but I realize that not all could, maybe even that some souldnt. But if you have lived a life that contributed to the common good you owe me nothing more than a good thought. When you give your thanks, think first of the ones who gave all. Larry

BDH, what they all said is true and rignt. My son Logan is currently in the USMC, near Ramadi, Iraq. Before he shipped out for basic, we had a long talk, because I was so proud of him for deciding to serve his country and I felt ashamed that I hadn't. (Like JB says, when I got out of high school, I wanted to play football somewhere and was so cocky about it that military service never crossed my mind. Besides, at the time, Vietnam had just ground to it's end, and being in the military wasn't cool.) I was worried that he'd think less of me as a man and a dad, but I wanted to let him know that I'd do anything in my power to help him succeed. You know what he said to me? He said, "Pop, you raised me right, that's all I can ever ask of you." I still get tears in my eyes when I think of that.

Not everybody serves in the military--no need to beat yourself up over that. There are thousands of ways to serve your country and honoring the memory of those that have given all to protect it. You just have to find the one that works for you and go for it.

Troy

Over on another forum, there's a guy trying to find some M14 synthetic stocks to ship to our troops because they were breaking them and can't get replacement. It seems like the guy has been in contact with the troops and taking orders for anything they need and can't get through normal supply lines. He's been shipping anything from scopes, GPS, gloves, etc. All have been donated through private donations. Here's an article and the site of the organization. http://www.stripes.com/article.asp?section...96&archive=true

http://www.adoptasniper.com/

What a great Post!

I was taking the Military physical when I found out I am partially color blind. :( That is an automatic DQ for any of the special forces, which at the time I was bound and determined to get into. Being young and dumb I decided not to go into the military at all then, since I thought I wouldn't be able to get into any of the area I wanted to.

I did do a year in the US Peace Corps over in Nepal, but not at all the same thing. I regret not going into the USMC, which I could have gotten into their Force Recon, almost every day.

Now I just try to respect all the people serving us as much as possible. All militry personell and LE / FD people get a discount at my store, and I go out of my way to say thank you. Buy them a beer or a cup of coffee when I can.

Just my opinion, that of a 14-year long-haul NCO in the US Air Farce (as close as you can get to the real military without actually being in the service ;) )...posts like this really make the stupid hours, weird living conditions, constant thread of bodily harm, and the endless entertainment of flying halfway around the world to serve in a place most folks have never even heard of...worthwhile.

People more eloquent than I am have said that grunts fight for their buddies on the left and right of them in the trenches, not for any elusive concepts like patriotism or "national interest."

However, I think we serve at all because of folks like the ones who posted in this thread. It is a lot easier for us now, I think, than it was during Viet Nam, because people are comfortable openly caring about the military. Hearing horror stories of the way returning 'vets were treated coming back from Viet Nam, I was surprised how I was treated coming back from Desert Sheild/Desert Storm. And I was surprised again coming back from Iraq and Afganistan.

Not everyone can serve, or wants to serve, and that is just fine. I'm happy enough not being spat on, and just touched near to tears that folks care enough to worry about not serving.

Alex

As a retiree (57-80) I would like to thank everyone for their posts. They demonstrate that the country we served is still free. Hopefully if there are future conflicts the President will listen more closely to his Military advisors. If we aren't supposed to win then why are we fighting.

Wow! What a bunch of powerful posts. I thank all of you for your comments and understanding. One thing I do NEED to do though is volunteer in some way, shape, or form to try to give back to the good ole US of A.... ;)

There can be no better honor than serving for this great country. It is something I was too cocky to do when I was young, and now to old to remedy.
Thanks, Jack. I've been wrestling with this for quite some time. You described my feelings exactly.

When I was 20, I thought I was too smart to take orders from anybody. As the next several years proved, I simply wasn't smart enough to take advice. I marvel at the young people who choose to serve, and the career soldiers as well. They definately have their heads on straight.

Tightloop, maybe God's plan for me was that I learn to shut up, quit focusing on myself, and appreciate others? If so, the news footage of 19 year old Americans in Iraq is a constant reminder. Still learning........

"I try to say thank you to every service person I can."
I've done similar things... even addressed them as "Sir" and "Ma'am" at the very least, or by their rank if I know it or was told it.

Importantly, I've many times seen military service totally turn the lives around of problem youth or directionless youth. Seriously. They come home virtually different people altogether (for the better, in this case) and go on to follow a more self-motivated, self-managed lifestyle with goals and skills, confidence and better health. B)

It's unfortunate that not everyone who wants to serve gets to. I served in the early 80's when Islamic terrorism was in its infancy.

I wound up in a garrison in Germany as part of the 'tripwire' force. They told us Washington would know if the Russians were attacking because we wouldn't be around to answer the phone.

It was interesting for a few years but I got tired of endless training and no real action (plus I got married) so I got out. Now that the shit has hit the fan, I'm too old to get back in.

Unless Uncle Sam gets desperate and starts letting old guys back in, my final mission is as follows:

- Honor the memory of the fallen.

- Help comfort those they leave behind.

- Do what you can to improve the lot of those who currently serve.

It sounds like you're already doing that.

I'd say any debt you may have owed is PIF.

When I met Dick Marcinko, I thanked him by saying, "Thank you for your service to your county." His response was, "Isn't it your country too?" So when I thank vets and current service members (even Air Force weenies like Wakal :P) now, I always say, "our country."

When I was in college, I learned about the US Navy's Nuclear Propulsion Officer's Program. I thought it was really cool and on paper, I was a very attractive candidate for the program. I had recruiters calling me all of the time, but I did not qualify physically (can you picture a purple rhino on a submarine?), so I couldn't do it. By now, I'd be a full Commander and probably have my own boat, but it was not to be.

Instead, I did my service as a civilian employee for an agency that I thought was doing some good when I joined, the US EPA. Unfortinately, I learned during my brief tenure that not only does US EPA do very little (if any) good for the people of America, they also engage in wanton disregard for the rights of individual citizens and actively violate those rights as their normal operating mode. Some of the things I was urged to do by EPA attorneys and my supervisors were egregious violations of civil rights that only the likes of the DEA could top.

But I did serve ... I had good intentions.

Let me just say that I have nothing other than the utmost respect for our young men and women that serve in our US Military!!! :wub::wub: These 'strangers' serve and sacrifice for ME every day!!!!

That said.... I held an 1HB card for Viet Nam, and at that time, was SOOOO glad my number was NOT called.

I don't think you owe anybody anything. If you were registered under the lottery draft (like I was) and got a number that wasn't called you obeyed the law. I did the same thing, and it is the only lucky number I have ever gotten in my life (I remember it to this day: #225). I have never won a football pool, any money at Reno, nothing... but in 1972 (at the height of the Viet Nam war) I got a number that was above the call line (I think they only went up to about 175 that year?)

Anyway, I know that these days there are a lot of people who claim that if you didn't serve in the military, you have no right to voice an opinion. tell them to shove that when you encounter it.

It always cracks me up... my father did 33 years of service, including the entire war in the Pacific in a rifle company He was at Schofield Barracks in hawaii when it was bombed on Dec 7). We also paid the price for a military career (lived in houses where the roaches tried to have us evicted), and never had two nickels to click together. My oldest brother volunteered for nam in 1966 and served two tours (which aged my parents about 40 years). My other brother managed to avoid going in country (but was in service), and I got a lucky number in the draw and chose to stay in school. But you'd be amazed how many rednecks think that means we have no right to speak out against the current war.