Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazines for 9mm 1911

frag316

I built a non-ramped 1911 in 9mm for my wife, and the 9mm magazines I bought are a bit unreliable (lots of rounds nosing in and failing to feed). This was with factory ammo, I haven't fired it with my loads yet.

I was wondering whether I should switch to .38 Super magazines (been suggested to me), or whether there's a dead-on reliable 9mm magazine for the 1911.

Thanks.

tripp maggs - they are the best for 9mm, the Wilson ETM tubes are not long enough to accomodate 10 without some good muscle going into it when inserting it with the slide in battery.

Any words on whether using .38 Super mags would be viable?

Thanks for the advice. I've been thinking about buying some Tripp's for my .45s, maybe I'll throw down for a few 9mm's as well.

Thanks for the advice. I've been thinking about buying some Tripp's for my .45s, maybe I'll throw down for a few 9mm's as well.

I have heard people run the 38 super mags with good luck but I never have personally.

I have heard people run the 38 super mags with good luck but I never have personally.

Thanks, Mike! I've never run the Metalforms, do they work well in all flavors of 1911s? I might want to run them in .45 ACP if there's a cost benefit.

Metalforms would be your best bet. 9 or 10 rd with the front ramps. Tripps work well also. I use Tripps and Metalform 10rd mags for my 9mm.

I use 38super mags in my 9mm Bianchi gun, and they are not reliable beyond 7-8rds loaded.

I'm using Dawson Precision mags in my Spartan (non-ramped) 9mm. Absolutely awesome magazines, highly recommended. Tripp are also highly praised.

I tried the Wilson ETM's and they worked, but I didn't like the plastic follower and basepads.

Edited by polizei1

My wife's gun is the 9mm Trojan. We used 9 round STI mags for years and had zero problems. Then we tried 10 round .38 super Chip McCormicks. Nothing but problems. Then we recently tried Wilson 10rd ETMs and again have had many failures to feed. Just ordered 2 Tripp Cobra 10 rounders and will post how they do. For what it's worth, we got the gun from Dawson's and had Dave super-tune the gun. It has been great until we started with the 10 rounder experiment. She's pissed because she wants those 10 rounds because she's shooting minor Single Stack and has the steel target fever...you know...bullets start magically missing in rapid succession? Oops, did I say that? Don't tell her I said that.

Cheers623

DVC

I used to be real strong in favor of ONE PARTICULAR .38 Super magazine for 9mm. It is the Metalform 9 round with their rounded follower. Unfortunately, they don't make them any more. Their 10 round Super magazine is NOT equal.

I am at present using a mixture of Tripps, ETM, and Metalform 10 shot 9mm.

If you are buying new, I would say get Tripp.

Metalform for me here. I use the 10 round versions in my Trojan *WITH* 124gr JHP's which should be the combo of death but now with about 800 rds through it like this, i've not had a single instance of nosediving or any failure to feed. These use the feed ramp setup like thier 9mm mags but have the rear insert spacer rather than the front crimp as a spacer.

Just got 6 of the Metalform SS 10rd. They load easy enough and all were 100% reliable thru a total of 400 rounds of testing. Used 115 WWB, 135 BBI and 130 RN Berrys loads. They can't be unload by hand too easily...a little trigger work empties them real quick though.:D

I've also got 4 Wilson 10rd ETM's and they all work 100%, just alot harder to load the last round into them. The Wilson's can be unloaded by hand half way easily.

Edited by FJR05

the 5 dawson 10rd mags i have run flawlessly, as do the metal form 9 and 2 10 rounders i have, i prefer the dawsons for comp and save the metal forms for range duty