Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

610 re-release

I think the last batch was built in like 2010. I lucked into a new old stock from that batch in a local shop. It was the 4" version. I'd have rather have had a 5" but at a price just around original retail I had to take what I could get. Hopalong is slicking it up for me right now.

Smith is making the model 610 again. I bought my S&W 610 last year new: 6.5 inch from a dealer in British Columbia Canada. My Montreal Québec Canada dealer has 7 on order due in May / June 2012. Most of these are pre-sold. The 610 is faily rair here regardless. The government prohibits us from buying any firearm with a barrel of 4 inches or less therefor we have no access to the S&W 625. Apparently Smith stopped making the 5 inch 625 two years ago.

I use my 610 in IPSC/USPSA with Hearthco clips on a speed e rack and a BMT moonclip loader and fiber optics on the front and rear sights ( red green red) and an Apex competition extended firing pin and a Trausch grip (Paris France) and a Hogue long cylinder release. I shoot 180 grain .40s&w fmj on Federal primers to make major PF. All the springs have been replaced and the cam faces stoned by my gunsmith. DA pull is 2.5 pounds and SA is .5 pounds. The 6.5 inch barrel makes for a very helpfull sight radius for medium and far distance plates and popers; it also keeps muzzel flip to almost nil resulting in super tight and fast double taps. The N frame makes it difficult to notice any recoile with .40s&w ammo. ( however full 10mm ammo kicks like a 44magnum )

I've been shooting IPSC/USPSA 17 years and own guns and shot in Open, Production, Single Stack and Revolver. I also compete in open three gun with a Bennelli and AR-15 (both are super tricked out). While I will continue to shoot three gun matches as they become available, I have decided that my S&W 610 is my most favorite gun ever and will continue with it in competition for many years to come. Have fun and good shooting.

I don't know why S&W quits making the best stuff. The 610, the 5" 625, the 646, stainless (finish) 627 vcomp....

I have two of those, I'd love to have the other two.

I don't know if it is a capacity issue (lots of qc issues floating around out there now) or that they just want to keep the numbers low to keep values high.

The numbers are low and the guns out of production because competitive shooters who really USE such stuff are not a large market. They can sell more conventional defense and tackytickle gimmick guns than they can match guns.

I don't know why S&W quits making the best stuff. The 610, the 5" 625, the 646, stainless (finish) 627 vcomp....

I have two of those, I'd love to have the other two.

I don't know if it is a capacity issue (lots of qc issues floating around out there now) or that they just want to keep the numbers low to keep values high.

Values of guns they already sold? They are unlikely to care.

Just keep looking arround for one. I too searched for a long time before I found mine at the price I wanted to pay.

Found a 6.5 inch at a small gun show of all places. Maybe try posting some flyers at local shoot might help. I am going to use mine at local ipsc and icore matches.

Brian B-

Congrats on your setup! :cheers: ( I like those sights too). I'm curious though - Are you sure the DA is only 2.5 pounds? That would seem to be in the realm of unobtainium. :ph34r:

Thanks,

Yes it is 2.5 lbs DA and .5 Lbs SA as per my instructions: "smooth as butter".

Cheers

Brian

2.5 kilograms equals out to 5.5 pounds.

Thanks,

Yes it is 2.5 lbs DA and .5 Lbs SA as per my instructions: "smooth as butter". The DA pull is 1.134 kilo, I have that app also...

Cheers

Brian

Luckily there's an app for that

Latech15, you want to feel what.....? There seems to be some curiosity regarding trigger pulls....

Please remember how heavily modified my revolvers are and the need to use only Federal ammo.

refer to this forum thread :

"I run mine at 6 lbs to keep some consistency with my heavier 617. Same rebound spring my 617 has puts my 625/627's at ~4 1/2 lbs. Radically lightened hammers are necessary. Shortened firing pin spring (on FMFP guns). Rebound springs get replaced. Some replace main springs some bend/recontour the stock spring. I modify Wolff reduced power main springs. Definitely requires some relearning with really light DA pulls. That's why mine stay 6ish+ lbs.

Randy Lee Apex Tactical Specialties has them running reliabley under 3 lbs.

More good info on this type thing can be found here: Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo! -> Revolver Forum"

At:

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-smithing/121233-revolver-double-action-trigger-pull-weights.html

Yes I want and get a very light 2.5 lb pull on my IPSC / USPSA S&W 610; I also shoot PPC and there is a minimum 3.5 lb pull on our revolvers. Everyone gets tested every competition. I use a S&W 586 which has been thoughly modified: heavy 6 in. barrel, Nill grips, new innards...Imagine 45 guys showing up all with triggers on DA revolvers just a hair above 3.5 lb pull? (Pounds not kilos). Most have removed the hammer spur so do not shoot SA.

Remember, most trigger pull weights (revolvers and pistols) are heavy because they are designed by litigation lawyers. Whenever someone tries my 610 in single action the all say "Wow!" at the .5 lb hair trigger. it keeps me super accurate with the distant big poppers at the back end of the COF with quick one shot knockdowns.

So does anyone know if they are ever gonna start making these things again? I want one but they are almost impossible to find, and the ones I do come across, well, the owners are quite proud of them......

Wish they would. One came into the shop I buy my guns from and there are about 6 of us hovering around just waiting for the gunsmith to check it out before it goes out for sale. Got a feeling a bidding war is going to erupt for it.

I was lucky that I found a 6.5" 610-2 Classic no lock model in about 2000 or 2001.. that is my main competition gun.. After badgering S&W at various venues for several years they finally came out with both a 6.5" and 4" model in 2010.. I placed an immediate order for the 6.5" -3 and then figured I should get a 4" just in case I ever wanted to play that "other" action game.. I prefer the 40 cal over the 45 so it's something I'd rather stick with.. I too don't know why they go in fits and spurts.. I'd like to see a blue model.. but then they'd have to call it something else since the model 10 is taken I think?