Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite 9mm Powder

SouthernYeti

I was wondering what powders people are using with a 147gr 9mm loaded for Minor PF. I have been using TiteGroup and I like it, but I'm curious if anyone is getting good results with something else.

How much of a charge you have to use or how "snappy" the powder is does not concern me. Consistency and tight grouping is what I'm after.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to use Solo, but heavy lead bullets always tumbled out of my CZ's. Switched to HP-38 this year, and having been loving it so far. It's very accurate, meters well, consistent velocity, and no more tumblers.

I used to use Solo, but heavy lead bullets always tumbled out of my CZ's. Switched to HP-38 this year, and having been loving it so far. It's very accurate, meters well, consistent velocity, and no more tumblers.

How does the recoil compare with Solo loads..?

What types of groups are you getting from HP-38? I am managing an average of 5'' to 6'' groups from a rest at 25 yards with TiteGroup.

I am managing an average of 5'' to 6'' groups from a rest at 25 yards with TiteGroup.

Have you played around with that load at all? With good bullets, Titegroup is very capable of producing much better accuracy than what you are obtaining.

When I used to shoot 147gr bullets I had really good results (accuracy-wise) by loading with 3.6gr of Solo 1000 but, when I switched to 124gr bullets, the accuracy was not as good and that is when I began using Titegroup. I also played around with VV N320 but the accuracy was never as good as what I can achieve with TG.

WST 3.8gr MG 147gr 1.145 OAL

SOLO 1000 3.8gr BB(green)147gr 1.145 OAL

Both loads in the 130 PF range work for me in PROD/ESP. Clean & soft shooting.

Edited by sweetback

1336619820[/url]' post='1701711']
1336619450[/url]' post='1701701']

How does the recoil compare with Solo loads..?

Shot back to back HP-38 is a little snappier, but it's hard to really notice any difference.
1336621257[/url]' post='1701726']
1336619450[/url]' post='1701701']

What types of groups are you getting from HP-38? I am managing an average of 5'' to 6'' groups from a rest at 25 yards with TiteGroup.

If I do my part, 2" groups at 25 yards out of my Shadow.

I have used HP-38 for several years and shoots very well and I use n320 for larger matches. n320 shoots a little more accurately and softer than HP-38 but wouldn't hesitate to use it also at a larger match. HP-38 is cheaper so I use it for local matches and practice. When you are shooting a CZ, it shoots everything like a laser :D

Edited by gmg

At the IDPA 2011 World Championship in FL they surveyed shooters for what they were using in terms of guns, ammo, gear, gunsmiths, etc. The results were published in the Q4 2011 edition of IDPA Mag. I thought it was pretty interesting. Here are some highlights:

Powder

95 Hodgdon (mostly Clays & Titegroup)

39 VV

29 Winchester

16 Accurate

16 Alliant

Bullet

48 Montana

32 Berry's

16 Precision

11 Precision Delta

Primer

72 Federal

48 CCI

43 Winchester

Brass

100 Mixed

27 Starline

22 Winchester

Another vote for WSF. I use it for my production load, duplicate factory 124gr +P JHP rounds, 40, 45 & 10mm light loads. I tried TG & WST as well, but WSF felt the best, and performed the best for me during the match (I shot all 3 loads during the same match).