Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting started reloading

I'm looking to get started reloading. 9mm only for the immediate future. I'm just wondering if any of these is a good place to start.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/121744/lee-challenger-breech-lock-single-stage-press-kit

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/161975/lee-load-master-progressive-press-kit-9mm-luger

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/428284/lee-pro-1000-progressive-press-kit-9mm-luger

I know there are nicer brands, I'm just looking for an affordable start as I decide if it's something I want to spend time doing and see if it saves that much on shooting, but I also don't want to buy junk. What else would be necessary to get started?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I started on a challenger breechlock singlestage last spring, and I still have it, and I am still using it (loading 1000 rds a month or so). I had intended to upgrade to a dillon progressive by now, but life happened, and I have a pretty good system now, so that is on hold.

Another good alternative is the turret kit that kempf sells https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=630&category_id=190&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=41

(get the pro-auto disk upgrade if you get that one).

Advantages to lee single-stage/turret reloading:

1. Cheap to get started.

2. Hard to make mistakes that blow your gun up like double-charges

3. every single round chambers w/o problems.

4. You will always have uses for a single-stage press, even when you own a whizbang expensive progressive setup.

5. Especially when getting started, you will be doing some experimentation and load development,and many small lots of rounds for testing. A singlestage press is easy to do that on.

Disadvantages:

1. Not as fast

2. Not as cool

Here's my system:

First, I size and prime a mass quantity of cases, usually while watching football or hockey on tv. I can prepare 500 or so in an hour if all goes well. I usually have a couple thousand sized and primed cases ready.

Then I load in lots of 50. I charge 50 cases with powder, change to the seating die, visually examine the tray of cases to make sure the powder levels look right, seat the bullets, change to the factory crimp die, and put a light crimp on the bullets. Starting with sized and primed cases, it takes about 10 minutes to pump out 50 finished bullets.

I can leave my stuff set up, so I typically just sit down for 10-20 minutes at a time, and load 50-100 rounds before bedtime, or while waiting for my wife to get dressed to go out, or after dry-fire practice while I relax and think about shooting.

Yes, it's slower than a progressive, but I'm still able to do 200 rounds or so an hour (including the time spent sizing and priming while watching hockey and sipping beer). I wouldn't want to have to load 400 rounds for a big match all at once, but doing 100 or so every day is pretty painless.

I also find that many people exaggerate how fast they can load on a progressive. They say stuff like "i can load 500 rds/hr and I could go faster if i bought more primer pickup tubes". That tells me right there that they are not counting the time they spend loading the primer pickup tubes, so they're probably not counting any other setup or changeover or ancillary tasks.

I'm looking to get started reloading. 9mm only What else would be necessary to get started?

Ok, depends on how many rounds you need to reload/month or year.

Are you looking only to save money, or to also improve quality of ammo?

How much time do you have to reload/month?

I can reload 10,000 - 15,000 rounds a year, easily, on my Dillon Square

Deal - costs $375. Adding calipers, scale, chrono, primer tubes & flipper,

probably closer to $500 with tax, etc.

More time you have, the less you have to pay.

:cheers:

• 4 weeks later...

OP. are there reloaders around where you are? I am in the southern end of the MSP and have introduced several people to reloading. The avantages to reloading with someone before spending money on reloading equipment is understanding the benefits of progressive presses and the overall process

I started out on an RCBS single stage that I still l have and use occasionally but have upgraded twice since that start all those years ago and have settled on the Dillon 1050 for the past decade. Now there is no requirement to spend 2000 to get into reloading. But saving up and making a good decision will save you money in the long run.

Finding a reloading buddy initially will help that process significantly. You may find that reloading is just not your thing and stay out of it all together saving everything you could have spent.

If that is not in the cards for you for whatever reason then take a look around at resale pricing. I have found that dillon presses retain 70% of their new value.

One other thing I can testify too but don't tell the wife. You will never save a penny reloading. You will certainly get more for the money you do spend with a reduction in cost per round but I have found that I simply pull the trigger more. A great thing!

I'll throw out there that I've had nothing but great luck with my Hornady LNL Progressive. I've done 12K between 9 and 45 this year. Not as luxury as the upper end Dillon, but gets the job done just fine.

Get any Dillon, square deal, 550 or 650 or the Hornady Lock N Load. If you decide you don't want to be a "reloader", you can sell it all off for nearly what you bought it for. Dillon machines maintain a high resale value. Just look on ebay, Gunbroker, etc. Buy your press used if you want to. Both manufactorers have good customer service Depts. I can only vouch for Dillon. They rock. If you buy a new Dillon, call Brain Enos and buy it from him. There is no shortage of free help and advice from this forum also. You will need:

1. 2-3 reloading manuals

2. A case or 2 of Montana Gold bullets, 4 lb jug of powder, 5000 pistol primers, Federal, CCI, or Winchester. Free range brass!

3. Caliber correct shell plate and carbide dies with locking rings.

4. Dies where the seating and Taper crimp are separate. I like the comp. seater by Redding and Lee full length taper crimp dies.

5. EGW U die. A resizing/decapping die available at EGW gun works. Google "EGW gun" for the web site.

6. Digital Calipers.

7. Digital powder scale from Brian Enos.com.

8. Case gauge for your caliber. I prefer the EGW 4 in 1 case gauge check.

9. Case tumbler and walnut or corn cob media and Nu Finish car polish.

10. "Hornady One Shot" spray can of case lube.

11. Several one gallon ziplock bags to store the range brass you pick up.

12. An old coffee can to put the screw up rounds in.

13. Bullet puller to recover your screw up round components.

14. Dillon primer flip tray. It is the best.

15. Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital Chronograph

16. A good notebook.

17. Case tumbler media separater pan and 1 &1/2 gallon bucket.

18. Primer pick up tubes, 2 each size

19. Several plastic ammo boxes to store your loaded rounds.

20. A STURDY reloading bench in a quiet place to spend many many hours.

21. A fellow experienced reloader on speed dial!

Good luck. Used Dillon machines are going for nearly brand new prices!

I have a Lee classic Turret that I bought from my son when he bought a Loadmaster. The Loadmaster is ok but a major PIA to set up and get running right. Lee has excellent customer service and was very helpful but too much of a pain to me. We both are saving to get a 650 now.

If you will only be loading for handgun, I think the Dillon Square Deal B is the way to go. If you think you may want to also load for rifle, then I would go with the Dillon 550 or 650.

As stated before, Dillon has a no lifetime guarantee. No matter what happens to the machine, and doesn't matter if you bought it new or used, they will fix or replace anything forever.

I started with Dillon 550 too with almost non existent knowledge on reloading 4 yrs ago. Now I use it to load all my handgun ammmo, 9mm .40 and .45, and soon for my AR. You will never go wrong with this press.

Spend a little more money and go with the blue machine, in the long run you will be glad you did.

Dillon 550B may be a few dollars cheaper than a Hornady Lock N Load! Dillon square deal is cheaper yet, but you get stuck buying their square deal dies.

Edited by Red Ryder

Yup, Dilion all the way. A complete 650 setup just arrived at the house 3 days ago, still building the table for it. Call or e-mail Brian and he'll be happy to talk you through it. I'll be loading lead 9mm for .10/rd ... Savings add up at 600-700 rds/wk down range

I'm looking to get started reloading. 9mm only for the immediate future. I'm just wondering if any of these is a good place to start.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/121744/lee-challenger-breech-lock-single-stage-press-kit

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/161975/lee-load-master-progressive-press-kit-9mm-luger

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/428284/lee-pro-1000-progressive-press-kit-9mm-luger

I know there are nicer brands, I'm just looking for an affordable start as I decide if it's something I want to spend time doing and see if it saves that much on shooting, but I also don't want to buy junk. What else would be necessary to get started?

Kempf's gun shop. Get the LCT with all the upgrades. A Dillon Beam scale and harbour freight digital calipers. Good start. Better start is with a 550/SDB and the same scale etc.

Edited by 98sr20ve

I've pretty much settled on something set around a single stage or a dillon 550b. Extra money for a turret is getting close enough to a 550 I'd just as soon step on up. I don't think I've seen a negative comment about a dillon anywhere.

I've pretty much settled on something set around a single stage or a dillon 550b. Extra money for a turret is getting close enough to a 550 I'd just as soon step on up. I don't think I've seen a negative comment about a dillon anywhere.

I own a rock chucker from RCBS for my single stage and a piggy back that converted it into a progressive. I still occasionally use the single stage for things like push through sizing of 40 cal. However the piggy back is collecting dust for more than a decade now.