Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Colt CRE-18 vs Stag 3G

BigStick

Hey All,

New to the forums and looking for info on 3Gun equipment. Ive pretty much got the pistol & shotty sorted out (XDM 5.25 9mm & FNH SLP Mk 1).

The rifle is the final piece to my puzzle. I currently own two Spikes AR lowers, one stripped & one complete with Geissele SSA trigger.

Been looking at getting a Stag 3G upper, as they are getting great reviews and for about $700, its well within my Wife's budget. <_<

Then, last week, I made the mistake of visiting a local custom rifle shop. The owner happened to have two fresh examples of the new Colt CRE-18 "RaceReadyRifle".

:blink:

Of course, both were already sold. This in fact probably saved my life as I would have slammed down $1500 right there and died a very violent death at home a short time later.

Needless, I was REALLY impressed with the Colt, tho I havent been able to find much info on them, other than from the Colt web site.

Anyone have any info/ experience with the Colt models?

Should I just shelve the ego, and save some big green, and go with the Stag?

Anyone know when Stag uppers will become available again?

Any & all advice is appreciated.

-Stick

Edited by BigStick

I just took delivery of my Loki customized 3-Gun rifle within the past hour (it's my Avatar image here). It's sick! 18" Satern barrel, billet receivers, AR Gold trigger, Magpul PRS stock, carbon fiber hand guard, etc, etc

Seems like getting a nice upper for your already-complete lower with that trigger would be a great way to go. I think either the Stag 3G upper or an upper from Loki would be great options that would give high performance on a reasonable budget. Obviously I have more hands on time with the Loki gear. Their in-house 18" double fluted barrel with a carbon fiber hand guard should do nicely.

Edited by michael1778

You should also consider lokiweaponsystems in your serch for the perfect 3-Gun rifle. They sell their 3G model as a complete rifle or just an upper and have priced the pieces very well for what you get. Have a look at the link provided.

Yah, I've been to their site several times. At first the prices seem reasonable, but then start to ratchet up once you add exotic items like BCG's & charging handles. I know many folks have their own but geeWiz.

The thing that REALLY impressed me about the Colt was the hand fitting & obvious quality control that went into the final product.

-Stick

Going over the specs on the Colt it looks like the Stag is a better value. The Stag has better components at a lower price

Stag is a good value but Colt also generally makes things to a higher standard with their quality control tests. (MP tested bolts barrels etc) Both good choices just different.

Pat

Going over the specs on the Colt it looks like the Stag is a better value. The Stag has better components at a lower price

Stag is a good value but Colt also generally makes things to a higher standard with their quality control tests. (MP tested bolts barrels etc) Both good choices just different.

Pat

Pat, quality control has nothing to do with how well something is manufactured. One could even argue that a company that makes superb parts needs less quality control than a company with greater variance in their parts.

Yes, Colt and Stag both make great rifles. But I reject the idea that a bolt or barrel that is MP tested is any better than one that is not.

Pat

Pat, quality control has nothing to do with how well something is manufactured. One could even argue that a company that makes superb parts needs less quality control than a company with greater variance in their parts.

Yes, Colt and Stag both make great rifles. But I reject the idea that a bolt or barrel that is MP tested is any better than one that is not.

I feel a lot better with MP tested bolts and barrels. One of my squad members at the Texas multigun match showed me a bolt he had that had broken in two. That would not have happened had it been tested. Quality control testing just gives the end consumer less of a chance of getting a lemon. Basically a bolt and barrel that is not tested may be equal to one that is but your taking a chance that its not. Call it peace of mind. I do respect your difference of opinion however. To each his own.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

Pat

I have not owned a Stag rifle, but have not heard anything but good from the people that I know who do own them. I have several Colts (I like things with horses on them). Colt does not necessarily have better quality than many other manufacturers (depends on who was working and when it was made). I do like the idea of MP testing, I liken it to Hypotting Medium Voltage cables, Megging Switchgear buss and Motors prior to energizing. It doesn't make the connections any better, but it is just one more safeguard (even with testing, I will use a "chicken switch" to close on it the first time)

Hurley

Pat

I feel a lot better with MP tested bolts and barrels. One of my squad members at the Texas multigun match showed me a bolt he had that had broken in two. That would not have happened had it been tested. Quality control testing just gives the end consumer less of a chance of getting a lemon. Basically a bolt and barrel that is not tested may be equal to one that is but your taking a chance that its not. Call it peace of mind. I do respect your difference of opinion however. To each his own.

Pat

That I can agree with, Pat. MP testing is kind of like insurance.

:)

Hurley- you're speaking my language. As for a chicken switch- I use an apprentice! (just kidding!)

A buddy of mine just ordered a Stag 3G and is waiting for it to come in. They are popular enough right now there is quite a wait. I am looking forward to seeing one in person. I do like Stags rifles and parts. I have used their stuff a lot in the Obama scare to build rifles.

Pat

Hey All,

New to the forums and looking for info on 3Gun equipment. Ive pretty much got the pistol & shotty sorted out (XDM 5.25 9mm & FNH SLP Mk 1).

The rifle is the final piece to my puzzle. I currently own two Spikes AR lowers, one stripped & one complete with Geissele SSA trigger.

Been looking at getting a Stag 3G upper, as they are getting great reviews and for about $700, its well within my Wife's budget. <_<

Then, last week, I made the mistake of visiting a local custom rifle shop. The owner happened to have two fresh examples of the new Colt CRE-18 "RaceReadyRifle".

:blink:

Of course, both were already sold. This in fact probably saved my life as I would have slammed down $1500 right there and died a very violent death at home a short time later.

Needless, I was REALLY impressed with the Colt, tho I havent been able to find much info on them, other than from the Colt web site.

Anyone have any info/ experience with the Colt models?

Should I just shelve the ego, and save some big green, and go with the Stag?

Anyone know when Stag uppers will become available again?

Any & all advice is appreciated.

-Stick

What was the street price on these Colts? How long was his order out there? I talked to my FFL and he said they are showing no availability on that sku.

What was the street price on these Colts? How long was his order out there? I talked to my FFL and he said they are showing no availability on that sku.

He was selling them for $1485, cheaper than anywhere else i've seen. Had a long waiting list for the next ones in stock. FWIW, I just purchased a Stag 3G upper. "Ammo Bros" in LA actually had a few of the rifles & uppers in stock. Should be here in a week or so...

:D

I have not owned a Stag rifle, but have not heard anything but good from the people that I know who do own them. I have several Colts (I like things with horses on them). Colt does not necessarily have better quality than many other manufacturers (depends on who was working and when it was made). I do like the idea of MP testing, I liken it to Hypotting Medium Voltage cables, Megging Switchgear buss and Motors prior to energizing. It doesn't make the connections any better, but it is just one more safeguard (even with testing, I will use a "chicken switch" to close on it the first time)

Hurley

HRider, my thoughts exactly. :rolleyes:

Colt looks nice, wonder what chamber they are using?

SWD

Hurley

HRider, my thoughts exactly. :rolleyes:

Colt looks nice, wonder what chamber they are using?

SWD

According to the web site, they are using a 223 wylde chamber. A quick check of Gunbroker shows two auctions for the Colt CRE-18, one for $1399 and one for $1599.

Hurley