Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slugs on paper.. 1A or 2 anywere

I know this topic for rifle and pistol has been beaten to death and the general consensus is 2 hits on paper is faster then a aimed alpha. But how about matches that require the same for slugs? Would it be more beneficial to take that 1 alpha shot or would u think of nothing of it and just go ahead and shoot 2 slugs on one paper target? What's everyones thoughts.

Why, oh why would you ask this now? :devil:

How many alphas did you throw on the 5 short range metric targets at SMM3G this year (where only one hit was required)??

I know I threw some C's in there, and I was shooting much faster than I did on the steel plates.

Now try this at 40 yards +/-.......

"Use two and be through"......

ericm

Eric is probably right. Last local match, the majority of folks who shot one had one or more 5 second penalty on those 35 yard targets. But what if the targets are at 15 yards?

For me it would depend on the range and how many will be required to be shot. If they are pretty close and will save me alot of loading im gonna go for 1 alpha

Agreed. The stage will have some slugs targets (with hardcover) at 10 to about (full targets) 40 yards. It will be challenging. :devil: (Blame Scott H, it is HIS stage). :surprise:

Let's take stage 2 of the Noveske Colorado state match for example. "running around" assuming there are 3.5 shooting positions for the shotgun portion (far left, middle left port, middle right port, and far right)

with a 8+1 start, assuming that you will take 2 slug per target, you would need too load 12 shells (4 shells left to mid, then 8 shells from mid to far right) the average person loads 8 shells on the move in 6 secs+\- . if u were only going to shoot one slug per target you would only have to load 8shells (4left to mid, 4 mid to right) and since your only loading 4 to the last position you save at least 3 secs.

Now the question is how fast can u aim an Alpha hit vs the time of splits if your shooting 2 slugs instead, then let's add another variable That only Slug targets 3 & 4 are the only full targets at range by no shoots (35 to 40 yards est) slug targets 2&5 are 1/4 hard covered also by no shoots, and targets 1&6 are headshot targets.

So do u believe u would still be faster shooting 2 slugs at a target? My splits with slugs at mid range if I were to shoot 2, would be around .25 to .35 on a full scoring target, it might be slower just guessing.

My initial thought on this was, "why are we revisiting this? Isn't the general consensus that 2 slugs on paper is kind of redundant? One slug anywhere seems to be the accepted method... slugs are not that accurate, slugs are expensive, yada yada..."

BUT!

the more I thought about it;

With just a small scoring adjustment to 1 A or 2 anywhere, we get a greater variable. "Just how lucky do you feel, Punk"? Lucky enough to go one-for-one, OR stay safe (and fill your mag with slugs and spend twice as much money and time loading them).

Make your decision, and in the words of Iain Harris "Suck it up, buttercup!"

I like it...

Bwaaahaaaahaaa! (evil MD laugh...)

jj

My initial thought on this was, "why are we revisiting this? Isn't the general consensus that 2 slugs on paper is kind of redundant? One slug anywhere seems to be the accepted method... slugs are not that accurate, slugs are expensive, yada yada..."

BUT!

With just a small scoring adjustment to 1 A or 2 anywhere, we get a greater variable. "Just how lucky do you feel, Punk"? Lucky enough to go one-for-one, OR stay safe (and fill your mag with slugs and spend twice as much money and time loading them).

I like it...

jj

I see another "shooter's choice" added to RM3G and the He-Man Campionship! I like it.

Mark, looks interesting. Wish I could be there to try it out.

I see another "shooter's choice" added to RM3G and the He-Man Campionship! I like it.

Mark, looks interesting. Wish I could be there to try it out.

You can certainly keep up with it via Live Shots

I like "choice". Except for the fact that the match is not in natural terrain, JJ, Andy, Travis, Trapr (and others) certainly influenced the match. We are trying a few new things we hope will work and the other MDs will like and use.

Slugs were made to bend the steel bird shot targets, eveyone knows that!

That is a DQ under USPSA rules...

Actually, it isn't....or I should say that it is not specifally called out as such. There is of course a minimum distance rule that steel must be shot at, and, there might be a case for a DQ if it is deemed as unsafe gun handling, but I guess they would spell that out in the stage breifing. I'm not all up on the USPSA thing anymore as I haven't shot a USPSA 3 gun match in years. But skimming over the rules I couldn't find anything.....still I could be wrong.

Other matches, may or may not DQ you or fine you for shooting their birdshot steel (or both!!).....been caught doing that once :cheers: , just once.

OK.....back to the topic at hand!! I hose 2 down at paper and move on!! My slugs cost a little less than a buck a piece. Get on center of mass and pull trigger.

Tim

It certainly IS spelled out...10.5.17 A shot fired at a metal target from a distance of less than 16 feet when using birdshot or buckshot ammunition or 131 feet when using slug ammunition. The distance is measured from the face of the target to the nearest part of the competitors body in contact with the ground (see Rule 2.1.3).

Never seen a birdshot plate out at 43.7 yards :surprise:

Edited by MarkCO

It certainly IS spelled out...10.5.17 A shot fired at a metal target from a distance of less than 16 feet when using birdshot or buckshot ammunition or 131 feet when using slug ammunition. The distance is measured from the face of the target to the nearest part of the competitors body in contact with the ground (see Rule 2.1.3).

Ok....have to reply, sorry about the thread hijack, so if MarkCo wants to say anymore he can IM me :rolleyes: privately

But yes, I have seen birdshot targets out at 43.7 yards and more....granted, you couldn't hit them with bird shot at that point, the course was set up that you ended up moving up to them later in the course of fire, but you sure could hit them with a slug (probably not the smartest thing to do). What I said was....the USPSA rules do not technically say that 'hitting a steel bird shot target' gets you DQ'd, from what I am reading......I did also say that the USPSA talks about the minimum distances. And that is for USPSA only that I was talking about. the other matches can go by a whole different set of rules.

OK....nuff said on that....I was only relating to a time when I messed up my reloads and was confused and smacked a shiney new plate with a slug. My day did not end well that day :wacko:

And JJ....I am under the same thinking of one slug anywhere on paper....but hey, hmmmmmm 1A or 2C's...as long as it's same for everyone. We just get used to the same ole' same ole'......been a long time since I've shot a match where they thought of slugs on paper just like a rifle or pistol. It doesn't make it stupid.....just a new 'old' twist.

Edited by TRUBL

BUT!

I like it...

jj

Am I going to have to ship twice as many slugs for each match at Raton, now??? :ph34r:

It certainly IS spelled out...10.5.17 A shot fired at a metal target from a distance of less than 16 feet when using birdshot or buckshot ammunition or 131 feet when using slug ammunition. The distance is measured from the face of the target to the nearest part of the competitor’s body in contact with the ground (see Rule 2.1.3).

Not sure there is any rational reason for this rule as applied to slugs. We have all experienced splash back on birdshot and pistol or rifle ammo. But I am yet to or hear of a slug that ever left the face of a steel target and chased a shooter.

Back to the core of the thread, the one A or two anywhere to neutralize rule has a practical application which viewed on the basis of a pistol or rifle impact. But who here thinks that one shot anywhere on a target with a shotgun slug fails to neutralize?

Not sure there is any rational reason for this rule as applied to slugs. We have all experienced splash back on birdshot and pistol or rifle ammo. But I am yet to or hear of a slug that ever left the face of a steel target and chased a shooter.

I've seen it happen. At the Masters, a slug bounced off a steel plate at 50 yards and screwed up the shooters hand for the rest of the match. It was bandaged up pretty heavily.

I've seen it happen. At the Masters, a slug bounced off a steel plate at 50 yards and screwed up the shooters hand for the rest of the match. It was bandaged up pretty heavily.

This is what makes these forums valuable. Never say never until you have discussed it here.

I shot a mini popper at about 7 yards with a slug on accident. Wound up with a quarter sized bruise/contusion on my inner thigh. Stung like hell and took about a month to heal. Learned me good.... NO MORE STEEL WITH SLUGS

Shoot two and move on

This is what makes these forums valuable. Never say never until you have discussed it here.

Edited by blairmckenzie1