Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun Nation Pro Series Cardboard Targets now Available from MGM Targe

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as bending to a group of people in a way that makes no real sense to us as shooters, yes it sucks.

As far as being a shooter, I like being challenged by a variety of targets that will make me a better overall shooter anyway, so big deal.

Personally, I think there are far more important battles to expend my energy on than the shape of cardboard I shoot at. On the bright side, the center is easy to find and the targets are easy to duplicate.

I wonder why they just didn't use the "turtle" targets.....would seem easier than printing up a new batch of targets....

The Turtles are IPSC registered targets. As such in order to use them in your match you are supposed to be an IPSC/USPSA sanctioned match shooting IPSC/USPSA rules which most multi gun matches do not use.

I still don't like this. There are presentation problems with the non-scoring portion of this target, you cannot do a simple overly of a no-shoot over a shoot live we do now as the two areas are not of a similar shape. Essentially what we have now is action bullseye. How soon before we go the way of some countries and are not allowed to advance on a target? PC Sucks.

If anyone thinks removing the heads from the target is going to make us more attractive to TV think again. It is not the heads it is the cardboard which does not react and hence there is nothing to display to a visible media. Falling steel and the exploding targets as seen on TOP SHOT are the types of targets that are going to broaden fan appeal for the visual media.

If 3GN sticks with the same format this year which they produced last year, they will be fine. The emphasis on the individual shooters and their challenges made the show about far more than just what was displayed on a cardboard target.

Edited by Charles Bond

If anyone thinks removing the heads from the target is going to make us more attractive to TV think again. It is not the heads it is the cardboard which does not react and hence there is nothing to display to a visible media. Falling steel and the exploding targets as seen on TOP SHOT are the types of targets that are going to broaden fan appeal for the visual media.

If 3GN sticks with the same format this year which they produced last year, they will be fine. The emphasis on the individual shooters and their challenges made the show about far more than just what was displayed on a cardboard target.

Charles- you are correct. Which is exactly why 3GN had Birchwood Casey develop a Dirty Bird target for the Pro Series 3GN matches. I've seen some edits of a little footage they shot at St Augustine, and what these targets show while in the same frame as a shooter is awesome. Not quite as spectacular as the exploding targets in Top Shot, but we as shooters can get a lot closer to a dirty bird than an exploding target.

I think one thing these MGM targets offer is a similar target to the Dirty Bird, and a lot cheaper than $3.00/each.

Yuck, do not want.

I prefer silhouette shapes, but I'll shoot anything.

I agree with the sentiment that there is no appeasing the anti-gun crowd.

If they can't complain about the targets, they'll complain about something else.

These don't lend themselves to no-shoots overlaying a shoot target at all.

I will shoot at anything, and whoever puts on the match gets to use whatever targets they want.Wahtever their reasons are, don't matter.

These big circles will however detract from my usual strategy when planning to shoot a stage. Without heads to personalize them I will not be able to give them names anymore.

Looks to be a simple easy to shoot target , as you aim for the center, not the upper half of

the usual targets we normaly shoot at, where it can be difficult for newer shooters to find

the "money zone" no guessing involved...

Iam not sure why people seem to think that shooting guns in competitions has to be about

combat type shooting only ? :blink:

Well it doesn't have to be 'combat' however the action shooting sports are based upon PRACTICAL applications of firearms. We have other shooting sports, Highpower, Bullseye, Steel Challenge all come to mind. Our sport, Action Shooting, be it USPSA or 3-Gun is a combat based sport. True enough we do not shoot from cover, we drop full mags to facilitate speed and we run out in the open. But all that aside, we have a history and a tradition. I don't see a need to change.

Attitudes are going to be all over the board on this because the folks in the sport come from different backgrounds and have different end goals. Truth is... a target is a target, whether it has a head or not.

Maybe the target change is about money. Isn't everything? Making this sport TV friendly would bring more money into it and I am sure a lot of folks are working toward that end. To do that means it must appeal to the masses and not be offensive to the tender hearted souls out there. Maybe MGM saw an opportunity to meet a need that was or wasn't there and make a few bucks. If so good for them.

It's kind of like all the companies making money off of the "Going Green" movement. Whether your a believer or not, you have to admit that a lot of money has been made off it.

Having said that...I find it funny that people say that 3 gun isn't a combat simulation of sorts. But that's for another thread. :D

Edited by mwc

I wonder why they just didn't use the "turtle" targets.....would seem easier than printing up a new batch of targets....

The Turtles are IPSC registered targets. As such in order to use them in your match you are supposed to be an IPSC/USPSA sanctioned match shooting IPSC/USPSA rules which most multi gun matches do not use.

I still don't like this. There are presentation problems with the non-scoring portion of this target, you cannot do a simple overly of a no-shoot over a shoot live we do now as the two areas are not of a similar shape. Essentially what we have now is action bullseye. How soon before we go the way of some countries and are not allowed to advance on a target? PC Sucks.

Matches are not required to be USPSA to use our targets. Non USPSA 3gun matches have been doing this for years.

I said supposed to, not required to. Obviously one cannot call the match USPSA unless it is, but one could use the scoring or the targets and probably not get called out on it.

I still don't like that we are moving ever further away from our roots while the same people that decry us send their kiddies off to play Paintball.

Regardless of the shape, we shoot at Cardboard, paper, clays and steel not at living breathing PEOPLE. In point of fact if you point even an unloaded gun at any part of your body, let alone anyone else's, you are DONE, FINISHED, you get to go home.

I am waiting to see how these targets are presented for overlapping target arrays and partials? We have a history of how it is to be done with the targets we have used to date. The targets are so designed to allow for repeatable overlay. I don't see this with the 3GN targets.

I dont really care what the targets I shoot at look like, our steel targets are usually round or square, so that's not really a big deal.

I do, however, have an issue with bending over to be more PC. The people that dont like our sports dont give a crap what our targets look like and if we switch targets to try to appease those voices, they'll just find something else to complain about. If someone finds our sport offensive, switching from the metric target to this one wont magically make it acceptable.

It might come with free KY, but it still leaves a bitter after taste...

Has anyone at 3GN actually come out and said its to be PC or is that just everyone's ASSumption? Yes, I believe that is part of it myself, but I think the main reason for these new targets is for the "TV concept" they are trying to give to these matches. Its easier for camera and fans to see the hits on target and understand what is going on. I personally dont care what the targets look like when I go to a match, as long as I understand what Im supposed to shoot at before the timer goes off.