Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

magnetospeed chronograph

The April issue of Guns & Ammo had a write up, and they have a couple of reviews referenced on the magneto site:

http://www.magnetospeed.com/pages/reviews-tests

They are on the products site, so I don't know about bias...

12 bucks for shipping either UPS or USPS.

I ordered one today. I will post back some results once I have it.

I have a 3" 45 ACP 1911 it will be interesting to try it on, but I didn't buy it specifically for that gun.

Edited by joey_safety

According to the writeups it doesn't work on a gun with a slide. Maybe if you attached it to a small tripod on the bench and fired over it. I'd be interested to hear how it works.

• 2 months later...

The April issue of Guns & Ammo had a write up, and they have a couple of reviews referenced on the magneto site:

http://www.magnetospeed.com/pages/reviews-tests

They are on the products site, so I don't know about bias...

12 bucks for shipping either UPS or USPS.

I ordered one today. I will post back some results once I have it.

I have a 3" 45 ACP 1911 it will be interesting to try it on, but I didn't buy it specifically for that gun.

any feedback/AAR yet?

• 1 month later...

i'm wondering if there's any reviews as well. i'm about to pull the trigger on one. i see making some kind of mount for a light rail would work, or a tripod mounted solution...either way this set up beats the hell out of setting up my m2. not to mention it always seemed better to me to use something other than light to trip the clock. hope this pans out, looks promising.

mine delivered today. checking the contents shows that it's a pretty solid device. i'm going to toy around with mounting ideas and pistol solutions. but for less than an m2 w/IR rig with not having to set the thing up, this thing wins. i'll get to test in a couple days and i'll write up a review testing it against my m2 rig.

anyone get to play with one yet??

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm about ready for one. Not sure how it will work with a pistol or if it will even work at all, but it will for a rifle and that's what I need it for. I spent way too much time and expense last winter working on long range rifle loads and I'm not going to go through that again this year. I must have had to make a dozen extra trips out to the range at really inconvenient times just so I could be sure I could find a range where I could set up the chronograph and not have problems with the lighting conditions or other shooters. If this thing really works, it may be money well spent. And I have not yet found a negative review.

Turns out it's uses are really super limited as i found it doesn't like any of my rifles with handguards/rails. Which are my primary weapons for multigunning. But when you can mount it right it works beautifully.

I pretty much have pistol to chrono everytime so i still drag out the m2 as i have to do both rifle and pistol. So its great and all... Just doesn't like AR's... Or handguns haaha

• 2 weeks later...

Have had one and used it for several months now. Works very well hardly a problem from day one. Only draw back is it effects accuracy. Shows drasticly with lighter barrels not as much with heavier barrels. Simply shoot save readings remove from rifle and shoot for accuracy. Do not adjust scope with it on rifle since you will notice a big difference when removed.Harmonics of barrel are very important you will see.

One comment I have read is that you can put it on a short tripod and "rest" the barrel just over it. Not sure how that would work out in practice. But my main use is for a bolt action .308 with a heavy barrel, so no problems there.

In by openion if you hold the barrel in any way you will effect the harmonics when you fire the rifle. The barrel cannot vibrate like a tuning fork and the shot will not be the same as if you hold the rifle unobstructed. Just my openion and I'm not really saying I am correct. I did see a large difference with the MagnetoSpeed installed and with it removed. All shots were high and I mean 3 or 4 inches high with thinner barreled guns and 1 to 1.5 with a new bull barrel Douglas in 22-250. I still would recommend the MagnetoSpeed it is fast to set up, not a problem with a crowded shooting range and accurate. I got to test mine against other sky screen models since I did not believe mine at first and I matched the others shot for shot within a few feet per second.

In by openion if you hold the barrel in any way you will effect the harmonics when you fire the rifle. The barrel cannot vibrate like a tuning fork and the shot will not be the same as if you hold the rifle unobstructed.

While I agree with you, I'm not sure I see what the problem is unless you are speaking about shooting groups while using it. Something I had not really thought about to any degree.

But now you have me thinking that I want to do a test to see how much difference there would be between shooting with and without the gizmo installed.

I started using my Magnetospeed and completely forgot that it was on my rifle. It works that well. I got into shooting 5 shot groups did some adjusting, and all was great. Returned to the range the next day and couldn't understand why me rifle was so far out, after going over my notes and realizing what I did I corrected my rifle and decided to do some experimenting with different rifles. This is where I came to the conclusion test your loads with it.Remove from the rifle shoot your groups.

I had the opposite experience yesterday. Remington 700 SPS 20" heavy barrel. Shot to confirm zero then attached the Magnetospeed and shot again and there was virtually no difference. Then shot three loads and got my velocity plus I could see how they grouped.

• 5 months later...

Note: Merged threads here. - Admin.

First my Appolgies on the Photos but it was DARK yes dark a We were succesfully using a Chronograph the Cool ne inovation from the Fine Folks over at Brownells / Sinclair

You can read all about it on the MFG web site but I think it a great new product for
anyone who wants to use a chrony in any weather, in any light condition, with out ever having to wait for an opening to go down range, or if you just dont like tha hastle of tring to get it lined up JUST RIGHT to make it work not to mention shooting the Damn thing by mistake.

I will follow up with more details in a couple weeks but for now I'm smiling.

photo4_zps9bc51418.jpg

photo3_zps63d684f3.jpg

photo2_zps3e4a8ccd.jpg

photo1-1_zps8f7bb563.jpg

They make two models I chose the one for use with a Brake and larger barrel options

Here are the links

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/range-gear/chronographs/magneto-speed-v2-extended-chronograph-sku100011662-55606-116500.aspx?sku=100-011-662

http://www.magnetospeed.com/collections/frontpage

Enjoy

Dan

Edited by Flexmoney

Without a doubt, this is the best and easiest chrono I've ever used. The only down is that you can't attach it to a semiauto pistol. It can be attached to a revolver. The readout stays on the bench for easy viewing. That's the first time I saw the readout attached to the gun. Neat idea.

• 3 weeks later...

They should make a mount that could attach to a pistols rail and then have an adjustment up and down to account for different barrel heights and rail locations. Then it should work for a semi-auto, or am I missing something....

• 1 month later...