Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you want your brass? No I am not stupid...

NicVerAZ

Here were kids shooting an AR 15 at Rio Salado and their 223 was in the middle of my 9mm brass.

As I was sweeping it all, I asked if they wanted their brass. Well, just because, you know, it's like dropping quarters on the floor, if you don't pick them up, someone will.

The look I got. Total disbelief. I had to repeat the question twice.

And when they saw me sweep it all into a heap and put it the used brass compartment of my gear bag, it was if I was stupid.

Either they've never heard of reloading, or they are rich, or they think I am some sort of a hobo who will sell the brass along with soda cans for booze money.

Most of the time folks understand why I pick up my brass and even tell me to pick up theirs, or sweep it in my direction, even some ROs do it.

Does this weird reaction happen a lot?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot? I don't know about that but I've got similar reactions at indoor ranges. I'd guess you're on the right track when you say they've never heard of (or don't) reload. They're kids after all. They most likely hit Wally World, bought some ammo and went out to have some fun.

That's my guess anyway.

It seems to me that most shooters at the public ranges don't reload (hard to conceive, eh?) so it's like voo-doo to them. They were probably stumped for an answer. Not sure if they were leaving gold or trash on the ground for the homeless guy to sweep up!

Got Hollywood to blame. It's because on CSI, they only show/tell people that the reason why people police their brass is so that they don't leave evidence behind. Whenever the occasional episode about the mythical "ice" or "meat" bullet comes up, the dialog never delves into where the brass came from. :lol:

I was at our range yesterday and one of the local LE groups was shooting. I asked if they keep thier brass or throw it. The guy say's naw, we throw it, why, do you want it? (silly question huh?). I now have another 1500 pieces of nickle 40 and 500 once fired .223.

My tax dollar at work :D

Edited by TMC

I was at our range yesterday and one of the local LE groups was shooting. I asked if they keep thier brass or throw it. The guy say's naw, we throw it, why, do you want it? (silly question huh?). I now have another 1500 pieces of nickle 40 and 500 once fired .223.

My tax dollar at work :D

Hey, you PAID for that brass already!

(Did you leave any brass for me? :ph34r: )

Got Hollywood to blame. It's because on CSI, they only show/tell people that the reason why people police their brass is so that they don't leave evidence behind. Whenever the occasional episode about the mythical "ice" or "meat" bullet comes up, the dialog never delves into where the brass came from. :lol:

My favorite is that episode of Sons Of Anarchy where Ron Perlman finds out that the Indians are ILLEGALLY making ammunition on the rez, man. They have devices that look like presses and there was powder on top and they were making "bullets" (as my daughters say) on a bus. On top of that, there was NO BRAND on the brass.

Mythbusters had fun with the meat and ice bullets. The ice turns into vapor and water and the meat... well you get peppered with bits of cooked meat.

Edited by NicVerAZ

If you really want weird looks just start going through the big brass collection barrel at the range. I normally don't dumpster dive, but occasionally someone will pour a bunch of 45's in and I can't resist. People really think your whacky sifting through all the 22 cases to get the prize! :)

Edited by fishdude

50280_308056608458_3691565_n.jpgI do give occasionally get that pants on the head retarded look, oddly most often at multi-day classes when I'm out there with a 5 gallon bucket and they're eating lunch in the shade.

http://www.r-word.org/

Thanks for posting before I did

As for the topic, I have a range within one mile of my door so I try to go often. Between my LEO buddies and this range, I may never need to buy 40 or 223 brass again. I invested in a nut wizard to make it easier to pick up all the brass left behind. Some people think I am just keeping the range clean from those that do not pick up after themselves which is partly true. ;)

I can understand this completely. Consider that most people not only don't reload but don't even think about reloading. I used to go to public indoor range and I'll wager not more than one in 50 people picked up their own brass. And don't even think of picking up anyone else's brass or the safety office would be all over you - because they collect that stuff and sell it.

At a long range course I took, almost everyone there were from various police departments or were military. Everyone had commercial Federal Match .308 except me ( I use Winchester brass in my loads). No one wanted their brass because they didn't load their own stuff. So, one of the staff went around picking up all the brass and the neat little plastic inserts (except my brass because I picked up after myself whenever I could). He probably picked up 2000+ pieces of once fired Federal brass that weekend. I went home with 95% of my brass. I just wish I had picked up some of those neat little plastic package inserts.

I occasionally go to an indoor range to shoot, and I always come out with hundreds of pieces of brass. :roflol: No one collects it, so I will! However, if I'm shooting USPSA (twice a month, ~300 rds) I don't normally pick up the brass. For me, it's too difficult to pick it out of grass, dirt, mud, and gravel. Also, the game runs too quick, people want to get in and out.

I grew up helping my father reload and later doing so alone or with friends. My brother who is ten years my junior wasn't part of that whole thing at all. When he was here last month to visit, he was excited to see my reloading bench. He had no clue about how it was done, and why anyone would do it. Quite an eye-opener to me really.. It all depends on what you are exposed to. I sure love the fact that with all the new guns out there, there seems to be more once-fired laying around than ever. That is a great thing! :cheers:

Having been an RO at a public range for ~20 years, I can say that the proportion of shooters who keep the brass is small. As this is THE forum for dedicated shooters, we all pretty much have to reload in order to train and compete. So, picking up the brass is a no-brainer. For the vast majority of shooters however, reloading is of no concern. So, the attitude of the .223 kids does not surprise me. It's the norm, really.

I once asked someone at an indoor range if they wanted their brass. Their response was, "You shouldn't reload ammo that's how guns get blown up."

I think of that guy every time I see an ammo recall recall notice posted.

A trip to the range just isn't complete without a scavenging run down the firing line before leaving. There's no such thing as too much 9mm or 45 ACP brass, even though I already have 'lebenty nine million of each. Waste not, want not.

some people look at you like you've got a third arm growing out your head

You have two arms growing out your head? :surprise:

I have a 4.5 Gallon bucket slowly filling with primers and loose cases at home. Anything at work (gun shop) that is not reusable or resellable goes into a 44Gallon Drum. So far it is 1/3rd full.

After a string of shots, I usually sweep up before continuing, I don't like a huge spread next to me, so I pile it all up. I usually sweep everything I see into a pile and ask them if they want their brass or not. If they do, I pick my stuff out, if not, I take it all.

Edited by PKT1106

I clean up after ~3 magazines fired. I like to make sure I pick up as much as possible or even all of it. Sometimes I'll ask for other peoples or just wait till they leave and grab it.

When I ask I sometimes get those crazy looks until I say I reload, and then they either ask questions about how to do it or just say go for it. On occasion I'll grab brass from the top of the garbage if someone dumps it. I won't dive for it but if there's a bunch on time, it'll be mine. :blush: