Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top Shot Season 4: Episode 8 (03 Apr 2012)

Great team challenge. Enfield challenge was good for being historical, but should have been head-to-head. Kind of lame that they both did relatively poorly, and it was decided on number of shots. Hopefully they will get Ian to do a real mad minute in the Top Guns episode.

I think since speed was the emphasis in this elimination challenge, they should have made the winner the one with MORE shots. Would show who, hits being equal, was able to manipulate their weapon more efficiently.

Edited by Jeanjacket

I think since speed was the emphasis in this elimination challenge, they should have made the winner the one with MORE shots. Would show who, hits being equal, was able to manipulate their weapon more efficiently.

But the idea of the mad minute was to see how many shots you could fire accurately at a target. I'm sure you could line up, take a few well placed shots, and then just start firing as fast as possible to get lead down range.

Like the Mitch Hedberg joke, "I type 101 words per minute, but it's in my own language." Very fast and wild isn't necessarily as good as semi-fast and accurate.

On the elimination..

The Brit started out so well.. 3 for 3.. then pretty much downhill from there

I was wondering why they didn't load 10 at the start.. and did 5 each time?

And the tall guy.. 3 Bass Pro cards.. it has to be his strategy

ETA - that was cool - how fast Ian could work the bolt, shooting with the middle finger

Edited by D.Hayden

But the idea of the mad minute was to see how many shots you could fire accurately at a target. I'm sure you could line up, take a few well placed shots, and then just start firing as fast as possible to get lead down range.

Like the Mitch Hedberg joke, "I type 101 words per minute, but it's in my own language." Very fast and wild isn't necessarily as good as semi-fast and accurate.

Right, if you already knew your opponent's score then I'd agree with you -- but neither shooter knows how many hits the other competitor got/will get. So you'd still have to balance that accuracy and speed regardless. Taking "a few well placed shots and then just firing as fast as possible to get lead down range" would be a ridiculous notion because there's no way of knowing when you've got "enough" hits. You heard him, 15 to just be acceptable, 25 average lol. No way either could hit just 6 and think "okay I'm good" and just start pumping lead down range.

I'd always agree with this: "Very fast and wild isn't necessarily as good as semi-fast and accurate." But in the context of that challenge I'd think to give the hat to the head.

Enfield challenge was good for being historical, but should have been head-to-head.

That would require two rifles as nearly identical as possible. When you are dealing with historical (read antique) rifles in a competition like this, that can be a problem. Witness what happened in Season one. There appeared (in the video) to be at least one problem with the sights on the rifle Mike Seeklander was using which may have put him into elimination.

That would require two rifles as nearly identical as possible. When you are dealing with historical (read antique) rifles in a competition like this, that can be a problem. Witness what happened in Season one. There appeared (in the video) to be at least one problem with the sights on the rifle Mike Seeklander was using which may have put him into elimination.

I think with 12 MOA targets like this you could make it work, a pure accuracy challenge would be different. Worth the effort to get a more interesting challenge. Check out Enfields to find two that are similar, then draw lots for who gets which. It would let each shooter set it up the way he liked, too. Set up the two targets to give off a burst of flame or something big with each hit, so both can see how their opponent is doing for more pressure.

It is good to see the show finally get some distance to it. Shooting rifles at large targets at 75 and 100 yards is kind of silly for these "expert" shooters, even offhand.

Along with the Enfield's, I really enjoyed seeing the Webley's. Quite a few years ago I had the loan of a Webley Mark VI that had been converted from .455 to .45ACP. By milling off the rear of the cylinder, to accept moon clips, .45ACP ammo could be used.

Yes, now I know that it was defacing a collectable, the bore diameter wasn't quite right for .45ACP with .451 diameter full metal jacket ammo, and that the pressure of .45ACP is greater then what the revolver was designed for. Still, I had no problems with the revolver, it was fun to shoot, and at least as accurate as my standard issue S&W Model 10 was. It seemed very fast on the reload with the break-open extraction and ejection of empties. In single action, the trigger was smooth. In double action, loooooooooong and hard.

I can see why most of the shooters chose to use the single action. ;)

Never tried shooting a Webley, but I could feel the pain when they were trying to shoot double action in training.

Half of them looked like they were surprised it hadn't gone off yet for as hard as they were pulling it lol.

Anyone else think it would have been faster to shoot it sitting or standing? That was a huge target.

I do. When I was shooting a bolt action rifle, I found that my POA moved the least after working the bolt when I was shooting kneeling. (I must have weird body mechanics.) It was particularly evident when Ian was demonstrating the technique where he was mostly elevated, rather than being buried in a prone position. Kneeling or sitting would have given the compromise between stability, as well as enough room to work the bolt with minimal movement.

Of course, the Top Shot producers also have a bunch of rules that are never aired. For example, they had a rule the previous seasons where they could only throw on one rock at a time, or that Athena couldn't shoot the Tommy Gun rested on the table.

Edited by Skydiver

Anyone else think it would have been faster to shoot it sitting or standing? That was a huge target.

Of course, the Top Shot producers also have a bunch of rules that are never aired. For example, they had a rule the previous seasons where they could only throw on one rock at a time, or that Athena couldn't shoot the Tommy Gun rested on the table.

Always figured so lol. Otherwise I'd have expected a handful of rocks to go flying downrange on that challenge... No experience necessary :lol:

So it looks like they go Green team next week. Good thing because I doubt the Blue Team would have last longer. I still can't believe they won any of the challenges. Why would you pick Gabby to sit out on the DA revolver challenge. Did they have a meeting to try and decide what the worst possible thing they could do was? Not that it would have made a difference but geez.

I think the Blue team has been intimidated by Gabby's accuracy whenever she picks up a gun.

All I saw was a flash of the green shirts. I didn't quite see what the challenges were going to be. TV Guide has this to say about next week's episode:

The Longest Shot: The Accuracy International AWM sniper rifle is used to attempt the longest shot in "Top Shot" History.

Yeah at 1500 yards. Bringing back the Navy sniper guy as a guest.

He's actually Airforce Security Force guy, who just happens to be good with long range rifles.. at least that was the case a year ago, maybe the airforce got him doing something with rifles now.

I think with 12 MOA targets like this ...

Quoting myself for a correction, Wiki shows the original Royal Army drill was 12" targets at 300 yards. I'd like to see a period drill book to be sure, but if so my respect just went up about 20 notches for the old Tommies. That's the same 4 MOA range that 3-gun rifle targets often use.

So for Top Shot the targets were 3x bigger. I had thought the original drill was 36" targets at 300, so Top Shot using 24" at 200 made sense, at least the same level of precision.

Along with the Enfield's, I really enjoyed seeing the Webley's. Quite a few years ago I had the loan of a Webley Mark VI that had been converted from .455 to .45ACP. By milling off the rear of the cylinder, to accept moon clips, .45ACP ammo could be used.

Yes, now I know that it was defacing a collectable, the bore diameter wasn't quite right for .45ACP with .451 diameter full metal jacket ammo, and that the pressure of .45ACP is greater then what the revolver was designed for. Still, I had no problems with the revolver, it was fun to shoot, and at least as accurate as my standard issue S&W Model 10 was. It seemed very fast on the reload with the break-open extraction and ejection of empties. In single action, the trigger was smooth. In double action, loooooooooong and hard.

You know, I did find myself questioning Colby when he said the Webley was "the greatest combat revolver." I figure the M1917 .45 ACP revolvers would give the Webleys a run for their money. Comparable round, and the moon clips (did the Webley have some sort of speed loading device?) would give the 1917 a big advantage in reloading quickly in combat.

My continuing gripe with Top Shot: the intro shows the shooters posing with all sorts of cool weapons - a G.43 and a StG-44 among this seasons, and things like an RPG and PKM in the past - which they don't shoot in any of the competitions.

I wish they'd do the intro posing with weapons they're going to actually use.

I wish they'd do the intro posing with weapons they're going to actually use.

You mean with a stick and and arrow? (atala?)

Bill

I didn't see anyone from last season posing with rocks. :roflol:

You know, I did find myself questioning Colby when he said the Webley was "the greatest combat revolver."

They are prone to hyperbole. After all, they say the "best shooters in the world" are on the show. :bow: